By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Street Fighter vs Tomb Raider: which has more impact?

Short term: Street Fighter
Long term: Tomb Raider

Around the Network

Street Fighter. Microsoft deal is temp. Street Fighter will not be on Xbox One. There is still a chance that ROTR will be on the PS4. Also, SF has higher sales of their last incarnation.

Ryudo said:
-Newcloud- said:
Arkaign said:
Ryudo said:
Street Fighter is like Mario Kart for Nintendo. They have long long legs. Tomb Raider is another hyped game of the week that drops to 20 bucks after 3 months. SF will continue to sell for years

This.

Watch Dogs was way WAY bigger than TR 2013, and look at where Watch Dogs sales are now. Most titles have little long-term impact.

TR will be a flash in the pan at best. That's not a dig at MS, as Sony has plenty of flash in the pan games too. ISS comes to mind. Decent sales for a few weeks to months, then off to the bargain bin, out of the top 100, and soon forgotten.

I agree mostly, but just to throw something into the conversation, Capcom really did milk street fighter 4 to death I wonder if that damaged the brand at all? 

That's what Capcom does. That's what they always did. Ever since Street Fighter II they release 7-8 versions. They sold SFII on different versions for like 8 years before III or something. Then how long between III and IV? Main series I mean.

Capcom also had Street Fighter Alpha, which was supposed to be a prequel that ended up getting two sequels of its own, Marvel vs. Capcom. X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Street Fighter EX, and Rival Schools, all running at the same time as Street Fighter III. Compared to their 32-bit madness they're acting downright reasonable. They also had to contend with both both Namco and Sega's more popular 3-D fighters on top of that.

SanAndreasX said:
Ryudo said:
-Newcloud- said:
Arkaign said:
Ryudo said:
Street Fighter is like Mario Kart for Nintendo. They have long long legs. Tomb Raider is another hyped game of the week that drops to 20 bucks after 3 months. SF will continue to sell for years

This.

Watch Dogs was way WAY bigger than TR 2013, and look at where Watch Dogs sales are now. Most titles have little long-term impact.

TR will be a flash in the pan at best. That's not a dig at MS, as Sony has plenty of flash in the pan games too. ISS comes to mind. Decent sales for a few weeks to months, then off to the bargain bin, out of the top 100, and soon forgotten.

I agree mostly, but just to throw something into the conversation, Capcom really did milk street fighter 4 to death I wonder if that damaged the brand at all? 

That's what Capcom does. That's what they always did. Ever since Street Fighter II they release 7-8 versions. They sold SFII on different versions for like 8 years before III or something. Then how long between III and IV? Main series I mean.

Capcom also had Street Fighter Alpha, which was supposed to be a prequel that ended up getting two sequels of its own, Marvel vs. Capcom. X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Street Fighter EX, and Rival Schools, all running at the same time as Street Fighter III. Compared to their 32-bit madness they're acting downright reasonable. They also had to contend with both both Namco and Sega's more popular 3-D fighters on top of that.

We also had MvsC3,TvsC,TekkenXSF last gen. Then UMvsC3. Re-released Darkstalkers so they still did quite a bit last gen.

Sharpryno said:
Nicklesbe said:
Street fighter for it's impact on the industry as a whole and it's world wide popularity, and the fact that it's still the go to brawler for professional gaming tournaments around the globe. Some people will likely talk shite about it and try to discredit it but it will only show they have no idea what they are talking about.

The only thing that deserves to be discredited is its popularity.  8 million sales with 8 different games on two platforms...

You keep saying this, presumably as a means to downplay SF. But do you really think each iteration, that's an upgrade to the SFIV formula was supposed to be a juggernaut? Technically, it's all the same game, with the "Super", "Ultra", etc versions being tweaked with a few additional characters added. At the end of the day, it's still "Street Fighter IV". 

And SSFIV was only a separate release, anyway, because it was too big to be DLC. Ultra and Ultra: Arcade edition ended up being DLC (that was also a standalone title. Like Festival of Blood or Undead Nightmare). So for you to treat them like full blown releases of SFIV then say "it's not that popular. 8M on 8 different games" is delusional. At the end of the day, "Street Fighter IV" sold over 8M because Super and Ultra were copies of the game you could either get buy as standalone, or get vanilla SFIV and download updates (SSFIV was given a cheaper price than full retail, so it could be considered standalone DLC as well). If I go out and buy the GOTY version of a game, that still counts towards the total sales of that game without any detriment, as it's not a "different game". It's the same game with added content. 

Halo 1 has sold 10M....but it has Halo CE on OG Xbox, PC, and Mac, Halo Anniversary, and MCC. Guess it's not as popular as I thought. 10M in 5 "different games" on 5 platforms. Doesn't matter that people who bought the games bought it to play "Halo: Combat Evolved" and thus 10M copies of the game sold. No, it's across "different games" and multiple platforms, so it's not that popular at all. 

Around the Network

SF5 is full exclusive
Tomb Raider is timed exclusive

What do you think? Crystal Dynamics didnt even want to be exclusive to XB1, you can tell from their interviews.

d21lewis said:
Can't help but feel like we've had this thread before, tho.....

Luckily for me, I'll be playing them both on day one!! I prefer Xbox One and Tomb Raider is probably better known in the real world (Angelina Jolie movies and all) but I think that SFV will have the bigger impact. I hope they don't leave out anybody's favorite fighter.

There are people who love Rufus...  I hope they just focus on a good character roster, without recycling the entire SFII, or SSFIV cast again.  I didn't bother with USFIV because it was too much old, and not enough new.

SFV hands down.

TR isa great game, but not the best game in the genre, it is a tier 2 under uncharted... on the other side,SF is the number 1 fighting game and no other game gets close, SF is justthe best in the genre.

padib said:
ICStats said:
We already had this question.

I say SF5. TR is substitutable by UC. SF5 has no substitutes. If you're into SF, you're not just going to be happy with MK.

Killer Instinct is a strong competitor to SF as a franchise. In most arcades when KI was in arcades, it was always there alongside street fighter.

That was a long time ago, and I think KI and SF success is in different leagues.

But that's not the point.  KI impact is already factored into XB1's sales, whereas SF4 & SF5 impact are not yet factored into PS4.

My 8th gen collection

padib said:
ICStats said:
We already had this question.

I say SF5. TR is substitutable by UC. SF5 has no substitutes. If you're into SF, you're not just going to be happy with MK.

Killer Instinct is a strong competitor to SF as a franchise. In most arcades when KI was in arcades, it was always there alongside street fighter.

Are we back in the 90s now?

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!