By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Street Fighter vs Tomb Raider: which has more impact?

SF5, look at the sales.

And even without that, SF5, because it's a definitive exclusive, unlike tomb raider "holidays 2015".

Well, SF5 is ""exclusive"", but we don't know if the next one will stay the same, we will see.

Around the Network

I'd buy any console for SF5, even if it's an Ouya.

I'd never buy a console just for TR. But I'd buy the game if it's available on my console.

So, SF has more impact for me.

“Ore no... Kachi da!”

prayformojo said:
method114 said:
Chris Hu said:
Neither, both are somewhat overrated franchises.

lol SF is overrated? Ok I don't even know what to say to this. If there was a poll of the greatest fighting franchise of all time SF would win if not be damn near close it's far from overrated.

What ever happened to Tekken? I thought that use to be way up there too.

Tekken was big, when SF retired after 3rd Strike.

But when SF4 came out of retirement, it knocked Tekken from the top spot immediately.

“Ore no... Kachi da!”

Street Fighter and Tomb Raider are both big franchises. So there will be an impact. But the amount of impact imho is greatly exaggerated here and on GAF no matter which side of the coin you are on.

Street Fighter IV did sell very well. I bought it day one. But it was the first new console SF game in what... 9 years or so? None of the subsequent upgrade versions sold nearly as well. Also, these numbers (around 7 million) are on a combined 160,000,000 userbase. The fanbase that will exist solely on PS4 and PC is much, much smaller. Another reason the effect of this is lessened is because Xbox players have a great fighter of their own in Killer Instinct. Now you can say "hey that's not a big franchise!" but I could easily counter with the idea that there is no big fighting franchise anymore. This was always a smaller genre but with arcades obsolete, it's even more of a niche genre. Xbox people can very easily get their fighter fix with Killer Instinct.

Tomb Raider also sold very well. Around 4 million. SF IV sold more but it has also been around 4 years longer. This game will also have a much smaller fanbase on current gen platforms than it had on last gen. And this game also suffers from the same issue SF V will have: it's available on another platform. And also just like Street Fighter V, fans of the opposite console who want to play Tomb Raider, have a quality alternative.

I think it was a good deal for both publishers and console manufacturers and was done so because the publishers knew the effect would be little to none. Tomb Raider can come to PS4 three months or six months or a year later no problem. Super Street Fighter V can come to Xbone a year later no problem.

Definitely Tomb Raider. Just look at those fanboys' reactions lol.

Around the Network

Yea I will say tomb raider, the last SF was waited for, for a long time. so I don't think the hype will be as high for this one.

kupomogli said:

Tomb Raider.

People are looking at the previous sales of Street Fighter 4 and all of its versions, but they're forgetting everything in between Street Fighter 4 and Street Fighter 2 that didn't sell well. Capcom milked the series so hard in the 90s that when newer versions of the game came out, people just didn't care and I feel the same thing is happening again with Street Fighter 5.

I think this is how it's going to turn out. Casual gamers or casual fighting game fans don't play fighters to perfect their technique and they'll probably play it around a week before their friends and them finally give up on it and move to something else. Those interested might play online a bit, rage after several losses as they're unskilled scrubs and quit. If this has happened to them a few times in the past few years I'm sure it's stuck within their memory and they'll ignore most fighting games. Being reminded with constant releases of Street Fighter 4 and how quick they got bored of it isn't doing any favors for Street Fighter 5.

Street Fighter 5 is going to sell worse than just the PS3 Street Fighter 4 combined sales.

I will counter predict you and say that sf5 will greatly outsell tomb raider, which is really what the question is here, not whether it will outsell ps3 sf4 sales (which it also will)

kupomogli said:

Tomb Raider.

People are looking at the previous sales of Street Fighter 4 and all of its versions, but they're forgetting everything in between Street Fighter 4 and Street Fighter 2 that didn't sell well. Capcom milked the series so hard in the 90s that when newer versions of the game came out, people just didn't care and I feel the same thing is happening again with Street Fighter 5.

I think this is how it's going to turn out. Casual gamers or casual fighting game fans don't play fighters to perfect their technique and they'll probably play it around a week before their friends and them finally give up on it and move to something else. Those interested might play online a bit, rage after several losses as they're unskilled scrubs and quit. If this has happened to them a few times in the past few years I'm sure it's stuck within their memory and they'll ignore most fighting games. Being reminded with constant releases of Street Fighter 4 and how quick they got bored of it isn't doing any favors for Street Fighter 5.

Street Fighter 5 is going to sell worse than just the PS3 Street Fighter 4 combined sales.

And what of RoTR's sales?  I expect those to decline 70% from TR sales.

My 8th gen collection

Looking at total sales, SFV by a mile.

Looking at TR sales on PS3 vs SF sales on 360 it's closer, but SF remains ahead.

Add the fact that TR is a known timed exclusive and SFV is lifetime (there might be other versions on Xbox, but we don't know that yet), and thing like EVO and how dedicated each fanbase is to the franchise... and yeah, SF is a bigger deal, sales-wise.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Street Fighter 5 will definitely have the bigger impact.

1.) ESPORTS: Fighting game compeitions are already chainging from Xbox to PS4 as the standard. Free publicity. All those who want to play fighting games competitively will be forced to use learn on the PS4 from now on.

2.) True exclusive vs a known timed exclusive.

3.) Streetfighter has a bigger audience world wide.