By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Street Fighter vs Tomb Raider: which has more impact?

kupomogli said:

Tomb Raider.

People are looking at the previous sales of Street Fighter 4 and all of its versions, but they're forgetting everything in between Street Fighter 4 and Street Fighter 2 that didn't sell well. Capcom milked the series so hard in the 90s that when newer versions of the game came out, people just didn't care and I feel the same thing is happening again with Street Fighter 5.

I think this is how it's going to turn out. Casual gamers or casual fighting game fans don't play fighters to perfect their technique and they'll probably play it around a week before their friends and them finally give up on it and move to something else. Those interested might play online a bit, rage after several losses as they're unskilled scrubs and quit. If this has happened to them a few times in the past few years I'm sure it's stuck within their memory and they'll ignore most fighting games. Being reminded with constant releases of Street Fighter 4 and how quick they got bored of it isn't doing any favors for Street Fighter 5.

Street Fighter 5 is going to sell worse than just the PS3 Street Fighter 4 combined sales.

And what of RoTR's sales?  I expect those to decline 70% from TR sales.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:

Are we back in the 90s now?

He said that there was no substitute for SF. I disagreed, KI competes with SF in terms of excellence, style and competitiveness as a franchise.

But to be honest I didn't play much of the most recent one and what I did play was really not so fun. I just disagree that nothing competes with SF as a franchise.

Looking at total sales, SFV by a mile.

Looking at TR sales on PS3 vs SF sales on 360 it's closer, but SF remains ahead.

Add the fact that TR is a known timed exclusive and SFV is lifetime (there might be other versions on Xbox, but we don't know that yet), and thing like EVO and how dedicated each fanbase is to the franchise... and yeah, SF is a bigger deal, sales-wise.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Street Fighter 5 will definitely have the bigger impact.

1.) ESPORTS: Fighting game compeitions are already chainging from Xbox to PS4 as the standard. Free publicity. All those who want to play fighting games competitively will be forced to use learn on the PS4 from now on.

2.) True exclusive vs a known timed exclusive.

3.) Streetfighter has a bigger audience world wide.

padib said:
Fusioncode said:

He said that there was no substitute for SF. I disagreed, KI competes with SF in terms of excellence, style and competitiveness as a franchise.

But to be honest I didn't play much of the most recent one and what I did play was really not so fun. I just disagree that nothing competes with SF as a franchise.

I think it's more accurate to say KI "competed" with SF, like 20 years ago.  It's been dormant for a long time.

I don't know how to find arcade sales figures, but here's SNES sales figures.

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 Street Fighter II: The World Warrior SNES 1992 Fighting Capcom 2.47 0.83 2.87 0.12 6.30
2 Street Fighter II Turbo SNES 1992 Fighting Capcom 1.42 0.51 2.10 0.07 4.10
3 Super Street Fighter II SNES 1993 Fighting Nintendo 0.52 0.16 1.29 0.03 2.00
4 Street Fighter Alpha 2 SNES 1996 Fighting Nintendo 0.00 0.00 0.17 0.00 0.17
Total4.411.516.420.2212.57

1 Killer Instinct SNES 1995 Fighting Nintendo 2.26 0.72 0.12 0.10 3.20
Total2.260.720.120.103.20

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network

Whichever sells the most.
who cares what people think?

ICStats said:

stats

Cool figures. Killer Instinct was big back then. I also remember Killer Instinct 2 being big in the arcades.

Nowadays it's not as popular but that's also because it's developed by an unknown studio (double helix) and is exclusive to an unpopular console. I'm not sure that's basis enough to say it can't compete in terms of quality per se, except for the developer part. However a developer can change over time, the franchise itself still holds a lot of potential.

Then again, you might be right that during this generation not much will be able to compete with SFV in terms of quality and popularity except Smash. But time will tell. V might just be another SFIII.

padib said:

ICStats said:

stats

Cool figures. Killer Instinct was big back then. I also remember Killer Instinct 2 being big in the arcades.

Nowadays it's not as popular but that's also because it's developed by an unknown studio (double helix) and is exclusive to an unpopular console. I'm not sure that's basis enough to say it can't compete in terms of quality per se, except for the developer part. However a developer can change over time, the franchise itself still holds a lot of potential.

Then again, you might be right that during this generation not much will be able to compete with SFV in terms of quality and popularity except Smash. But time will tell. V might just be another SFIII.

Just so you know Double Helix isn't developing the game anymore. Also we know the quality of KI, just look at metacritic or read peoples impressions. Now we have just to wait and see whether SV5 will be good.

I would say street fighter, even though I'm still waiting for a new King of Fighters

Crazy tablet quoting!

Anyhoo, as a child of those days, I have to say that by the time Killer Instinct released, a lot of gamers were burned out on Street Fighter (SSF2 got mediocre reviews from some even though it was the best of the bunch.  It was just " more of the same).  Meanwhilr, Killer Instinct was a gameeople wanted for the Ultra 64 that got watered down gor the dying SNES.  It's just a weird comparison all around.

ICStats said:
padib said:
Fusioncode said:

I think it's more accurate to say KI "competed" with SF, like 20 years ago.  It's been dormant for a long time.

I don't know how to find arcade sales figures, but here's SNES sales figures.

1 Street Fighter II: The World Warrior SNES 1992 Fighting Capcom 2.47 0.83 2.87 0.12 6.30
2 Street Fighter II Turbo SNES 1992 Fighting Capcom 1.42 0.51 2.10 0.07 4.10
3 Super Street Fighter II SNES 1993 Fighting Nintendo 0.52 0.16 1.29 0.03 2.00
4 Street Fighter Alpha 2 SNES 1996 Fighting Nintendo 0.00 0.00 0.17 0.00 0.17
Total4.411.516.420.2212.57

1 Killer Instinct SNES 1995 Fighting Nintendo 2.26 0.72 0.12 0.10 3.20
Total2.260.720.120.103.20

Twitter: @d21lewis