By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Street Fighter vs Tomb Raider: which has more impact?

padib said:
Fusioncode said:

Are we back in the 90s now?

He said that there was no substitute for SF. I disagreed, KI competes with SF in terms of excellence, style and competitiveness as a franchise.

But to be honest I didn't play much of the most recent one and what I did play was really not so fun. I just disagree that nothing competes with SF as a franchise.

I think it's more accurate to say KI "competed" with SF, like 20 years ago.  It's been dormant for a long time.

I don't know how to find arcade sales figures, but here's SNES sales figures.

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 Street Fighter II: The World Warrior SNES 1992 Fighting Capcom 2.47 0.83 2.87 0.12 6.30
2 Street Fighter II Turbo SNES 1992 Fighting Capcom 1.42 0.51 2.10 0.07 4.10
3 Super Street Fighter II SNES 1993 Fighting Nintendo 0.52 0.16 1.29 0.03 2.00
4 Street Fighter Alpha 2 SNES 1996 Fighting Nintendo 0.00 0.00 0.17 0.00 0.17
Total4.411.516.420.2212.57

1 Killer Instinct SNES 1995 Fighting Nintendo 2.26 0.72 0.12 0.10 3.20
Total2.260.720.120.103.20

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network

Whichever sells the most.
who cares what people think?

padib said:

ICStats said:

stats

Cool figures. Killer Instinct was big back then. I also remember Killer Instinct 2 being big in the arcades.

Nowadays it's not as popular but that's also because it's developed by an unknown studio (double helix) and is exclusive to an unpopular console. I'm not sure that's basis enough to say it can't compete in terms of quality per se, except for the developer part. However a developer can change over time, the franchise itself still holds a lot of potential.

Then again, you might be right that during this generation not much will be able to compete with SFV in terms of quality and popularity except Smash. But time will tell. V might just be another SFIII.

Just so you know Double Helix isn't developing the game anymore. Also we know the quality of KI, just look at metacritic or read peoples impressions. Now we have just to wait and see whether SV5 will be good.

I would say street fighter, even though I'm still waiting for a new King of Fighters

Crazy tablet quoting!

Anyhoo, as a child of those days, I have to say that by the time Killer Instinct released, a lot of gamers were burned out on Street Fighter (SSF2 got mediocre reviews from some even though it was the best of the bunch.  It was just " more of the same).  Meanwhilr, Killer Instinct was a gameeople wanted for the Ultra 64 that got watered down gor the dying SNES.  It's just a weird comparison all around.

ICStats said:
padib said:
Fusioncode said:

Are we back in the 90s now?

He said that there was no substitute for SF. I disagreed, KI competes with SF in terms of excellence, style and competitiveness as a franchise.

But to be honest I didn't play much of the most recent one and what I did play was really not so fun. I just disagree that nothing competes with SF as a franchise.

I think it's more accurate to say KI "competed" with SF, like 20 years ago.  It's been dormant for a long time.

I don't know how to find arcade sales figures, but here's SNES sales figures.

1 Street Fighter II: The World Warrior SNES 1992 Fighting Capcom 2.47 0.83 2.87 0.12 6.30
2 Street Fighter II Turbo SNES 1992 Fighting Capcom 1.42 0.51 2.10 0.07 4.10
3 Super Street Fighter II SNES 1993 Fighting Nintendo 0.52 0.16 1.29 0.03 2.00
4 Street Fighter Alpha 2 SNES 1996 Fighting Nintendo 0.00 0.00 0.17 0.00 0.17
Total4.411.516.420.2212.57

1 Killer Instinct SNES 1995 Fighting Nintendo 2.26 0.72 0.12 0.10 3.20
Total2.260.720.120.103.20

Around the Network

SFV obviously since TR is a single player game with not enough replay value to be compared to SFV, a game that will be played during all thé generation.

Also, TR is coming to PS4, and many gamers have enough common sense to see that obvious release
And even as a temporary exclusive , thé impact on One will be spoiled by 360 version, while SFV is only on PS4 on consoles

And for now, there are no hints it could come on other consoles, at thé contrary

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

WoW there was a time when a fighting game could sell above 500 Thousand copies in Japan...

LOLLLLLLLLL

SFV all day long. I'm shocked Sony out did the TR deal especially when we all thought Sony couldn't afford to get deals anymore.

I played TR PS3 when I got it free from PS Plus. Good game but i'd only play it once. It's a poor mans uncharted and not good enough to play through again. Sales also mirror this.

TR sold less than SF4 by a big margin. And you need to remember most of it's sales came on PS4 not Xbox. It's going to hurt the TR series more than it hurts the PS4. ESPECIALLY now that everyone thinks it's coming to PS4 after 1 year but we know the SFV won't.