By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Street Fighter vs Tomb Raider: which has more impact?

Arkaign said:
Ryudo said:
Street Fighter is like Mario Kart for Nintendo. They have long long legs. Tomb Raider is another hyped game of the week that drops to 20 bucks after 3 months. SF will continue to sell for years

This.

Watch Dogs was way WAY bigger than TR 2013, and look at where Watch Dogs sales are now. Most titles have little long-term impact.

TR will be a flash in the pan at best. That's not a dig at MS, as Sony has plenty of flash in the pan games too. ISS comes to mind. Decent sales for a few weeks to months, then off to the bargain bin, out of the top 100, and soon forgotten.

I agree mostly, but just to throw something into the conversation, Capcom really did milk street fighter 4 to death I wonder if that damaged the brand at all? 

Around the Network
-Newcloud- said:
Arkaign said:
Ryudo said:
Street Fighter is like Mario Kart for Nintendo. They have long long legs. Tomb Raider is another hyped game of the week that drops to 20 bucks after 3 months. SF will continue to sell for years

This.

Watch Dogs was way WAY bigger than TR 2013, and look at where Watch Dogs sales are now. Most titles have little long-term impact.

TR will be a flash in the pan at best. That's not a dig at MS, as Sony has plenty of flash in the pan games too. ISS comes to mind. Decent sales for a few weeks to months, then off to the bargain bin, out of the top 100, and soon forgotten.

I agree mostly, but just to throw something into the conversation, Capcom really did milk street fighter 4 to death I wonder if that damaged the brand at all? 

That's what Capcom does. That's what they always did. Ever since Street Fighter II they release 7-8 versions. They sold SFII on different versions for like 8 years before III or something. Then how long between III and IV? Main series I mean.

Samus Aran said:

Super Smash Bros. is better than all of them together. It's the only one that's actually unique and creative. And don't give me the crap that it's a party game, it's both a serious fighter and a party game. That's another reason why it's better than the rest. 

Though I don't like any fighting game really, or hack & slash. Most boring games ever. Watching God of War is a guilty pleasure of mine though. Yeah, watching, not playing. 

So for me Tomb Raider would automatically win. 

I think (I'm not a big fan of fighting games myself so I can't speak on this all that well) SSB problem is it's aesthetically cute and childlike where as SF, Tekken, MK etc. are more mature and have more edge. 

Hmmm i actually think TR will kinda flop so im going to say SF

Street Fighter because its not timed (at least the original) and it's a bigger franchise without a responding game from Microsoft.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

Around the Network

Tomb Raider did worse than I thought on 360. Only 1.75 on the platform. Being on the less popular platform and going up against Uncharted could lead to even lower sales. I'm thinking Tomb Raider will do about 2m between 360 and XBO. Maybe 1m lifetime on XBO.

I'm starting to question why Microsoft even bought this game.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Popularity on general
Tomb Rider : 8
Street Fighter: 9

Nostalgic element for veteran gamer
Tomb Rider : 7
Street Fighter: 9

Franchise overall achievement on meta score and general review from time to time
Tomb Rider : 7
Street Fighter: 10

Popularity for their own genre (their market position if compared with other games on their own genre)
Tomb Rider: 6
Street Fighter: 10

prayformojo said:
method114 said:
prayformojo said:
method114 said:
Chris Hu said:
Neither, both are somewhat overrated franchises.

lol SF is overrated? Ok I don't even know what to say to this. If there was a poll of the greatest fighting franchise of all time SF would win if not be damn near close it's far from overrated.

What ever happened to Tekken? I thought that use to be way up there too.

Tekken is probably the only franchise that would come close to beating SF. I wouldn't agree with that game being better even though I do enjoy the tekken games.

I grew up playing some SF in the arcades, but I've mostly only played the MK series because I have always like the mythos (not really a big fan of fighting games in general). I bought Tekken 4 for PS2 back in the day because people said it was the best fighter and so when you said SF was, I was curious if maybe I was mislead.

Well the end of the day it's all opinion. Tekken was great I just felt sf was better. Honestly soul caliber comes in second to me.

Street Fighter. It's still an evergreen seller and is popular in both the East and the West. Tomb Raider doesn't offer anything that Uncharted can't match or beat for Sony.

Honestly its SFV to me, the Xbox community arent even eager or adamant about seeing footage of the game unlike the way PS4/PC gamers are for SFV. Tomb raider may wow the media whenever it gets its debut but PS4 and PC gamers already know on the long run its coming to PC/PS4.

SFV is going to be resonating for years to come, at home or in the Fighting Game Community (EVO and such). You dont have to like or never play a game to obviously know that