By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Street Fighter vs Tomb Raider: which has more impact?

By far, SFV. I'd imagine that this should bring in quite a few fighting fans, especially those who compete in tournaments. But, TR isn't really going to have an impact, since PS gamers will have Uncharted 4 releasing around the same time. TR was announced to be exclusive for 2015, which make me think it may only take 6 months or so for it to come to the PS4.

Around the Network

We already had this question.

I say SF5. TR is substitutable by UC. SF5 has no substitutes. If you're into SF, you're not just going to be happy with MK.

My 8th gen collection

Tomb raider, because it has a bigger audience on PS, currently, which means it's more likely to pull potential PS4 buyers across to Xb one. Also RTR is ONLY releasing on Xbox in 2015. A PC release is unconfirmed and is only possible in 2016.

SFV OTOH is predominantly PS/PC, so there aren't all that many SF fans who lean Xbox but will now go PS4. And a lot of them will probably just go PC. Also co-launch on PC means less advantage to PS4. But it also means a smaller money hat.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Street Fighter is like Mario Kart for Nintendo. They have long long legs. Tomb Raider is another hyped game of the week that drops to 20 bucks after 3 months. SF will continue to sell for years

SFV

Around the Network

In terms of sales - SF has sold more recently.

In terms of forum impact, definitely Tomb Raider, especially on VGC.

In terms of shift to status quo, harder to say. Probably Tomb Raider.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Tomb Raider.

People are looking at the previous sales of Street Fighter 4 and all of its versions, but they're forgetting everything in between Street Fighter 4 and Street Fighter 2 that didn't sell well. Capcom milked the series so hard in the 90s that when newer versions of the game came out, people just didn't care and I feel the same thing is happening again with Street Fighter 5.

I think this is how it's going to turn out. Casual gamers or casual fighting game fans don't play fighters to perfect their technique and they'll probably play it around a week before their friends and them finally give up on it and move to something else. Those interested might play online a bit, rage after several losses as they're unskilled scrubs and quit. If this has happened to them a few times in the past few years I'm sure it's stuck within their memory and they'll ignore most fighting games. Being reminded with constant releases of Street Fighter 4 and how quick they got bored of it isn't doing any favors for Street Fighter 5.

Street Fighter 5 is going to sell worse than just the PS3 Street Fighter 4 combined sales.

SF will have a bigger impact. Tomb Raider will come to PS4 eventually.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Ryudo said:
Street Fighter is like Mario Kart for Nintendo. They have long long legs. Tomb Raider is another hyped game of the week that drops to 20 bucks after 3 months. SF will continue to sell for years

This.

Watch Dogs was way WAY bigger than TR 2013, and look at where Watch Dogs sales are now. Most titles have little long-term impact.

TR will be a flash in the pan at best. That's not a dig at MS, as Sony has plenty of flash in the pan games too. ISS comes to mind. Decent sales for a few weeks to months, then off to the bargain bin, out of the top 100, and soon forgotten.

Samus Aran said:
prayformojo said:
method114 said:
Chris Hu said:
Neither, both are somewhat overrated franchises.

lol SF is overrated? Ok I don't even know what to say to this. If there was a poll of the greatest fighting franchise of all time SF would win if not be damn near close it's far from overrated.

What ever happened to Tekken? I thought that use to be way up there too.

Super Smash Bros. is better than all of them together. It's the only one that's actually unique and creative. And don't give me the crap that it's a party game, it's both a serious fighter and a party game. That's another reason why it's better than the rest. 

Though I don't like any fighting game really, or hack & slash. Most boring games ever. Watching God of War is a guilty pleasure of mine though. Yeah, watching, not playing. 

So for me Tomb Raider would automatically win. 

I absolutely love Smash Bros. I've never missed one and I bought my Wii U almost exclusively for the new one.

But I don't know if I'd really consider it a SF or Tekken competitor. I can't even really give you a good reason why, I just don't see them as being the same type of game. Sort of like comparing Mario Tennis and Fifa, both technically sports games...but not really competitors.

Also, this wasn't about which you like the most, but what will have a bigger impact. SF exclusively almost makes the PS4 a must buy for hardcore fighting game fans.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.