By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu Smash Bros week (ending Dec 7th)

PwerlvlAmy said:

Yes, we should start a petition right away! get on it!

OK! The petition is going to be so awesome that I'm going to be shocked if Doom doesn't get ported over! Really!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
Mnementh said:

Thanks for this data

You're welcome.

Mnementh said:

What is SFC?

Super Famicom.  aka SNES

Ah, thanks, so the Super Famicom still was in competition with the PS1? Hmm, probably the N64 was out later than PS1.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

AZWification said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

Yes, we should start a petition right away! get on it!

OK! The petition is going to be so awesome that I'm going to be shocked if Doom doesn't get ported over! Really!

Indeed.. or make the new doom game exclusive to Wii U :D

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

PwerlvlAmy said:

Indeed.. or make the new doom game exclusive to Wii U :D

That would be too much.. I think we should be happy enough with a port! After all, everyone should experience DOOM!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

padib said:

I would have to dig up the numbers, but if I remember correctly Smash has been an important system seller in the past 3 iterations despite being a fanservice type game. The reason is that it's a game that gets people to play with their friends, at least it did in the past.

It's hard to tell if that effect was felt with the 3DS due to the new 3DS model and the holidays, but I will go and fetch the numbers for Brawl and Melee.

Also, Mario Kart 8 could also be considered a fan-service game. We know it sold lots of U's.

I'd imagine it was a big system seller for Gamecube, but it also released so early in the console's life that pretty much any high profile game would've shifted systems.

It looks like it wasn't a particularly big system mover for Wii during launch week in Japan.  Might've been a long term thing, but I'm not sure:

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/39481/Japan/

Wii 97,334 (+27%) 5,198,993

As for Mario Kart being a fanservice game... not really in the way that I'm describing, at least.  I can see where you're coming from (digging up old zones to race through), but I don't think it has the same pull for nostalgia that Smash has.  But that's just my opinion.

Around the Network

I think im one of the rare ones who actually figured Smash Bros would sell way less than MK8 considering MK8 is more a casual game that appeals to everyone,which Smash Bros doesnt

padib said:

Do you know how to look up the MC numbers in the GC era? I remember Rol posted a link to a database a while ago.

I don't, sorry.  Only database I use is Japanltdrank which doesn't have hardware, or indeed SW numbers for GC

PwerlvlAmy said:
I think im one of the rare ones who actually figured Smash Bros would sell way less than MK8 considering MK8 is more a casual game that appeals to everyone,which Smash Bros doesnt

I don't know how rare that point of view is, I figured it as well, and anyone with a grasp of history should realize that mario kart has been nintendo's most realiable ip for years.  The only time smash managed to beat mario kart was on the gamecube where melee is often touted as the best in the series and double dash the worst in kart's, and even then smash only barely came out on top.

With Japan it's probably even less of a surprise, I'd wager that the 3DS version cannibalized a lot more sales there than anywhere else.

cheshirescat said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

I don't know how rare that point of view is, I figured it as well, and anyone with a grasp of history should realize that mario kart has been nintendo's most realiable ip for years.  The only time smash managed to beat mario kart was on the gamecube where melee is often touted as the best in the series and double dash the worst in kart's, and even then smash only barely came out on top.

With Japan it's probably even less of a surprise, I'd wager that the 3DS version cannibalized a lot more sales there than anywhere else.

Yeah I've been elsewhere and I just kept hearing that Smash would do MK8 numbers and I thought it was silly since MK8 is more of a casual mainstream game than Smash is

PwerlvlAmy said:

Yeah I've been elsewhere and I just kept hearing that Smash would do MK8 numbers and I thought it was silly since MK8 is more of a casual mainstream game than Smash is

Frankly, that talk was probably driven more by hope than logic.  While smash had the benefit of a holiday release the competition this year has been cutthroat.