By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu Smash Bros week (ending Dec 7th)

Barozi said:
zorg1000 said:
Barozi said:

I was never talking about $20 being the difference in profit. That was obviously revenue.

Since we use a set percentage for profit though, it's enough to talk about revenue. 20% higher revenue = 20% higher profit, 20% less revenue = 20% less profit.

Your example was:

$24 for each $60 game (WiiU) (= 40% of the WiiU game revenue)

$16 for each $40 game (3DS) (= 40% of the 3DS game revenue)

$8 difference each between the versions (or somewat close to that) (= 40% of the difference between the WiiU and 3DS revenue)

Obviously I didn't take into account all the regional price differences, but that would be too much work, for not that much better results.

It's also considerably cheaper to develop games for 3DS compared to Wii U so 3DS games don't necessarily need to sell more than Wii U games to be profitable. For example let's say the average 3DS game costs $3 million to make while the average Wii U game costs $10 million, these are just random numbers by the way, I have no idea how much it costs to make games for 3DS/Wii U.

If Nintendo makes back $16 for 3DS games and $24 for Wii U games, they would need to sell 187,500 units of the 3DS game to break even and 417,000 units of the Wii U game to break even.

It's very possible that a 1 million selling 3DS is game is more profitable than a 1 million selling Wii U game despite making less back on each 3DS game because it has lower dev costs.

That's obviously true if it was a question of developing for WiiU OR 3DS. In this case they did both, obviously the 3DS version was a bit cheaper but you can't really tell how much each of the versions cost to make since a lot of the work from one version is also found in the other.

Besides, Smash is a big seller. Dev costs won't change the outcome dramatically.
bolded: Using your example, look what happens when a game is not only selling the amount to break even, but 1,000,000 as you said:

WiiU $24 * 1,000,000 units - $10m dev cost = $14m profit
3DS $16 * 1,000,000 units - $3m dev cost = $13m profit

The bigger the game, the less important are the dev costs.

Very good points, I was just trying to say more revenue doesn't necessary mean more profit tho.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.