By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone see any good reason why GTAV's(PS4/X1 editions) meta is higher than Smash U's?

tbone51 said:
Angelv577 said:
Can't you just be grateful that it's the highest rated fighting games ever or one of them. Arguing for few extra meta points is just insane.

Good post, especially when This years highest rated games arent even that high overall. SSBU getting a 92-95 is great either way, and GTA5+SSB getting comparisons is a little weird for a direct head to head comparison.

SSB vs SF vs PSASBR  or GTA vs Watchdogs is more appropriate

exactly, comparing a GTA game with Smash is pointless.

Around the Network
radha said:

Really? Smash can only compete when it comes to gameplay, has no story, worst graphics, worst ST and less features, so really, why would is get a better review than GTAV? I personally, as a fighting game player find smash to be a button mashing fest that can't be take seriously, so not even as a fighting game is really a big deal. It is a big deal to Wii/Wii U owners because there are only nintendo games on those consoles.

Well, I have a lot more fun with Smash and play it longer.

And before you criticize, yes I played GTA V and I think it is OK but not great. Smash 3DS has already much more hours of fun. Smash WiiU will probably not worse.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Pavolink said:
Because overrated games/franchises exists.

And this thread is about two of them.

Maybe GTAV is better?

Reviewers go crazy for gta. It's always been that way.

I'd rate 360's gtaV a 8/10. There are still things I dislike about the series.

Despite a budget which puts most big games to shame the combates still far from great (But much better than past GTA's). Trying to go from mission to mission can sometimes make the overworld feel like the most slugish and convoluted level select ever. It plays like a series of little peaks of great excitement doted through a repetitive, limited, and eventually boring overworld. I got sick of the game long before I finished it, but to be fair it is a large game. Though I liked the main characters interactions, and it helped me get drawn into the game and it's missions, the humour (Like with past GTA's) doesn't work for me.

I do think it's a great game (as I say 8/10). I am only stressing the negative here because of the insane love it gets.

Around the Network

I don't think metacritic or reviews for that matter tell the whole story. Critics are driven by the industry. It's GTA and is a very popular franchise so it has to get at least 90 regardless. Not to mention games for XB1 and PS4 so far have been kinda lack luster so far. I mean look at the score TLoU remake got. So popularity and hype play into the reveiwers scores I'm sure. Smash still has a chance to get a higher or even a lower score since only 15 reviews have been submitted so far. In all honesty, I think too many games are getting inflated scores based on popularity but that's just my opinion.

The PS3/X360 version got 96+ so it would not make sense for the next gen version to be scored any less, unless it was particularly buggy.

Smash U is getting really good reviews though, impressive.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

On topic, GTAV offers more than Smash U in my opinion.

Well-crafted story and dialogue, solid mechanics, expansive open-world with many sidequests and distractions, a lengthy single player campaign, online mode with even more stuff to do.

The two games don't compare well, they aren't even the same genre. It comes down to personal taste obviously.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Wow...I kinda predicted what most of the comments here would be. I suppose it goes for every fandom, but it's amusing how Metacritic is suddenly accurate when it's a user's preferred game that reviews higher. Though I anticipate some people changing their tune in the chance Smash rises past GTA.

Anyway, given how Metacritic works, I consider a difference of 5 or so points to be irrelevant. These aren't the same reviewers looking at both games, and they likely won't have the same number of reviews in the first place. I only consider MC useful for giving a general idea of what reviewers are thinking of it. Arguing quality over a matter of a few points is just asanine.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Sensei said:
Angelv577 said:
Can't you just be grateful that it's the highest rated fighting games ever or one of them. Arguing for few extra meta points is just insane.

Well, except Smash is not a fighting game.

It saddens me seeing this post >_>