By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Colorful Games On Consoles Aren't Selling Anymore

The game has to actually be good too. No, review sites don't get to determine whether a game is good or not, the customers do. If the game is good, the customers buy it, if it isn't, then shit, the customers aren't going to by it. Being colorful isn't a magic pill.

Thanks jlmurph!

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
d21lewis said:
Nintendo new this was coming. That's way they wanted MadWorld on the Wii. Best selling third party game on the console, if I remember correctly.

You're joking.... right?

I never joke.  And don't call me Shirley.

I think that most gamers aren't interested in paying full price for those type of games. they have a better chance if it launched less than $20

Colorful/cartoony are for kids.... I really want to be an adult so I only buy brown games. It's serious stuff you know.

It's an interesting observation Soundwave (said in Starscream's voice). I think the answer is in this thread. It's pretty clear that the most outspoken consumers of video games, on forums and in media, have actually devolved over the last decades. We've grown up physically -- the average age of a video game player is 31 -- but we've regressed intellectually. In hoping to prove the industry and ourselves "grown up" we've embraced some very immature ideas about what video games should be.

Honestly, those little kids who played NES and Genesis after school were a lot more open-minded and curious than the video game vanguard today.

Around the Network

Colorful games will not go anywhere, they will become more popular. I still have this theory that the gaming market is going to bust in the near future and all these crappy yearly lifeless games will hopefully die.

This is one of the more interesting threads we've had in a while. Thanks to all the contributors and I hope many future ones as well.

AZWification said:

Times change, man. There's nothing that can be done about that sadly.

Except you. Bull. Of course it can. Even the little you can do is worth doing. The fact we're even talking about this now means a lot, and even if it means just a little, it means infinitely more than doing nothing.

Ultravolt said:

You made some good points... but I honestly wouldn't blame it on the colorful style.

I'd blame it on the marketing mostly.

Sunset Overdrive had decent marketing, yet it sold 130K first week USA, while Watchdogs sold 440K first week USA on X1 only. Both new IPs, both on X1.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

In the OP you even have to add the addition of "Karting" to LBP because Little Big Planet itself defies the point you are attempting to make.

Bad games don't sell, as for how many colours are on screen at one time... I've not seen that being a selling point of games since the NES/SNES era

[this is so going to be answered with a "so that means cawadooty is the best game in the world because it sells loads" and I wuv that strawman everytime!]

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Could it possibly be because of the ageing demographic of gamers? When gamers were mostly under 20 then cartoons games sold well. Now there are as many over 30 gamers as under 20. Tastes and preferences changes with age.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix