By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Colorful Games On Consoles Aren't Selling Anymore

Times change, man. There's nothing that can be done about that sadly.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

I would be for a gaming console.

And then make a mainstream box. where all the drones can play their cinematic quick time event grey/brown realistic visials>everything games with day1 dlc.

We should finally start to differentiate between gamers and mainstreamers etc.

I think the downfall of colourfil cheerful games not selling anymore rest purely on the fact that its only really Nintendo these days that produces those games. This in turn isn't helped by the fact that they only appear console wise on the Wii U which just doesn't sell.

I imagine there are a high number of people who would love to get their hands on Mario, Zelda etc but cannot see the justification of paying £200 or so just to play literally 2 or 3 titles. Because in reality, alot of other Wii U titles are either available on the much cheaper Ps3 and 360 (with more titles to boot also) or in superior quality on the newer consoles.

Also, platformers on a whole seem to be on the decline on other systems which is a real shame as some of the best games I've played were platformers. The original Jak And Daxter for me is second only to the Mario series for a platformer.

And as others have said. The main issue is marketing. Everywhere you look its Assassins Creed this, GTA That, COD this, Far Cry that. All well and good but not so good when there are other games hiding away in the PS Store or Xbox Store that never get a mention anywhere. This generation for example The Last Tinker on the PS4 is a fantastic platform game (that looks good as well). It will never sell well because reviewers these days mark down games like this simply because they don't fit in with what is classed as the "norm". Yet games like AC:U can get slated to high heaven yet still come out of Websites with scores like 8/10 which is obscene.

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

Kids like cartoons, adults like realism. No mystery. I mean, take TV for instance. Do you watch cartoons or do you watch "24" or something comparable? You can build all kinds of explanations, but it always boils down to this. There can be individual variation in tastes, of course, (I like a dose of The Simpsons every now and then) but basically it's very simple. Someone might enjoy killing a few minutes playing Angry Birds on the bus, because you just can't put your mind into anything more demanding while in transit. Kids like mobile games for their simplicity and cartoony qualities. And so on, and so on.

No Child of Eden 2/Rez 2 for me then

Around the Network

Nintendo new this was coming. That's way they wanted MadWorld on the Wii. Best selling third party game on the console, if I remember correctly.

Shadow1980 said:
Rab said:

People also as a rule don't wear much in the way of colour either, even with cars few have bright colours

Society as a whole is drab

Muted colours overall are percived to be mature/serious, which I think a lot of people aspire too 

You see it in architecture, too. Many stores are bland in color, and those that used to have more ornate logos have gone for things more minimalist in nature. Examples include:

Old Walmart

New Walmart

The old one was more typical of stores opened in the 80s & 90s. My first job was at a Walmart opened in the late 80s and it looked just like the one in the top picture. The bottom picture is of the new Supercenter that opened last month at the other end of town. It's just a big, brown, flat, geometric monolith near Exit 5. Also, Walmart's logo went from a cheery smiley face to a hollowed-out asterisk.

Our local mall (yes, we have a mall that's both open and thriving, apparently a rarity these days) was opened in 1978. It had an ornate butterfly motif as its logo, seen here on the left side of the facade:

The mall was renovated and expanded in 2006-07, and now it has... this thing.

It's a flower, I guess. The mall itself lost a lot of its old character during the remodel as well. The new tiling, lighting, etc., looks so nondescript.

It seems like the 80s & early 90s had a stronger emphasis on stylized designs and bold, contrasting primary colors, and malls and arcades often had colorful neon lighting. Today, everything seems more dull, muted, and minimalist, a world of glass, steel, flat earth tones, and simple geometries. It's like we're becoming just one big transnational Apple Store.

You're from Augusta?  We're neighbors!!  I work at Vogtle.

For the most part its the sad truth we live in today, and the reason why i have a Nintendo system. PS4/X1 are too geared towards the grey/brown games. While i do like some of that, i wouldnt be able to stomach only that.

When it released on the X1 Sunset probably doomed itself. The Xbox croud is the croud that reveals the "bro" characteristics the most because it was a console born of a shooter - Halo.
The game would probably have done much better on the PS4 i believe, probably on the Wii U aswell. It was a bad fit in target audience.

Soundwave said:

One wonders how much better Sunset Overdrive would sell if they muted the color and "personality" and made it a more straight forward violent shooter game.

Remember that other game that Insomniac was forced to 'mute' because of EA intervention? What was it called? Fuss? Fose? Fuse???

Yea... :(

Sometimes it's not that simple.

Nem said:

When it released on the X1 Sunset probably doomed itself. The Xbox croud is the croud that reveals the "bro" characteristics the most because it was a console born of a shooter - Halo.

Hmmmm, but unlike the point you try to make, Halo is actually colorful. Maybe not as colorful as a De Blob game, but still.