By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: 'What can games learn from film? Nothing'

Rafux said:
I love Miyamoto! So glad you and Kojima agree games are not art. Games should be fun above all.

Where did he(or Kojima) said games are no art. There are many art-forms without story, paintings for instance. They are still art.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

No wonder Nintendo is suffering so terribly lately. So many close minded people in charge of it!

I get his sentiment, its true not enough devs put enough emphasis on the experience and are more concerned with the budget and what they can liken the game to stylistically. But games can and should absorb as much as they can from other mediums.

The Last of Us outsold whatever his last title was, received a better critical reception then whatever his last title was and is most definitely mention on these forums more then whatever his last title was.... Lets not limit what games can be, there is room for all different types of experience.

prayformojo said:
Busted said:

-“When you play a game, one moment you’re just controlling it and then suddenly you feel you’re in its world,” he says. “And that’s something you cannot experience through film or literature. It’s a completely unique experience.”-

This. I agree, games can learn nothing from movies.

I don't agree with everything Miyamoto says here but that actually makes me have more respect for his unique way of thinking, this is the kind of people we need not just in the VG world but everywhere, not people trying to make what everyone else thinks is cool, but people making what they think is cool and trying to get everyone else into liking it too, accomplishing that defines the true talent of an entertainer

What I don't understand is how he says he never wanted to tell stories. From the first Donkey Kong to Pikmin, his games have limited stories. Pikmin actually has more than most Nintendo games. OOT has a very indepth and drawn out story as you progress. Maybe the translation was a bit off here but something doesn't add up here.

I don't think he's against stories, it's about how stories are told and the player's role in games. He doesn't want the story to be told to the player, he wants the story to be told through the player, if that makes sense. Spectator vs Director. At least that's how I interpret his words.

My sentiments exactly. And that's why I hate games like TLOU. Games are about fun and I don't know why people always want to get taken out of the game, by getting unnecessary story shoved into their faces.
I'm not saying that story driven games are terrible and neither does Miyamoto, it's just that he is saddened by the fact, that the focus of many game developers is shifting towards something else than.... well.... fun.
I don't know why people are getting upset by his opinion only because it's contrary to theirs.

Around the Network
KoiIroRazu said:
My sentiments exactly. And that's why I hate games like TLOU. Games are about fun and I don't know why people always want to get taken out of the game, by getting unnecessary story shoved into their faces.
I'm not saying that story driven games are terrible and neither does Miyamoto, it's just that he is saddened by the fact, that the focus of many game developers is shifting towards something else than.... well.... fun.
I don't know why people are getting upset by his opinion only because it's contrary to theirs.

I don't think games about 'fun'... they're about reward and that comes in a multitude of forms.

nomad said:

He is not talking about stories themselves (as in wether or not a game a deep story), he is talking from a designers point of view. He is talking about the way they are presented, some designers are presenting it like a movie. Basically, you becomes a spectator rather then the player, that a big difference in other medias vs games. He is doesn't like that designers are trying to be like directors making their games more like movies. He said the player should be the director. There is a difference showing it to you versus letting you experience it.

That was the impression I got from his comments as well. I really enjoy story-driven games as much as I enjoy things like Mario Kart, but I don't particularly enjoy a game which is more interested in making me watch it rather than play it, and I do worry that part of this whole idea of games trying to seek recognition as art is actually leading to a lot of games which take themselves too seriously.

Some of the most emotionally involving games I've ever played relied very little on that kind of detached storytelling. ICO, for instance.

I disagree with Miyamoto in that games are indeed a storytelling medium, but he more or less has the right idea. It's true, there's very little to be learned from film, as these are two very fundamentally different storytelling media. He has the right idea in that it's about making the player feel like the director. That attitude is probably why he's made so many great franchises. For someone who doesn't think games are a storytelling medium, he sure hits the nail right on the head on how to make them one. I think there's something lost in translation here.

I want to agree with him so badly, but then I remember project giant robot and I weep.

Mnementh said:
Rafux said:
I love Miyamoto! So glad you and Kojima agree games are not art. Games should be fun above all.

Where did he(or Kojima) said games are no art. There are many art-forms without story, paintings for instance. They are still art.

Games use art in them buy they are not art in itself, games are toys like monopoly or dungeon and dragons. Google Kojima on the subject, art can be anything but games are toys therefore they must be fun to play first and above all.