By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: 'What can games learn from film? Nothing'

Shigeru Miyamoto - creator of Zelda, Mario and countless other beloved video games - on his Pikmin film, the future of virtual reality, and Nintendo's 'boring' competition

When Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of the Super Mario Bros. series of video-games, celebrated his 40th birthday, he put away unchildish things. He quit smoking and pachinko, a form of gambling game that combines the brightest, noisiest parts of pinball and fruit machines, took up swimming, and vowed to spend more time in his garden.

“I have never thought of games as a means of storytelling,” he says through a translator, “so while many people have approached me in the past and said ‘why don’t you make a movie?’, I had never been interested.”

“These younger game creators, they want to be recognised,” he sighs. “They want to tell stories that will touch people’s hearts. And while I understand that desire, the trend worries me. It should be the experience, that is touching. What I strive for is to make the person playing the game the director. All I do is help them feel that, by playing, they’re creating something that only they could create.”

“When you play a game, one moment you’re just controlling it and then suddenly you feel you’re in its world,” he says. “And that’s something you cannot experience through film or literature. It’s a completely unique experience.”

“What the other companies are doing makes business sense,” he says. “But it’s boring. The same games appear on every system. At Nintendo we want an environment where game creators can collaborate and think of ideas for games that could have never happened before.”

As to whether Nintendo are developing a more elegant version of the technology, his lips are presently sealed. “I have nothing to tell you about Nintendo’s involvement in virtual reality. We have nothing to announce yet,” he says.

Our time is up, and we make our way to the Toho Cinema complex across the road, where Pikmin Short Movies premiere is taking place. The films are bright and sweet, with an Aardman-like sense of mischief: what’s most impressive is the ingenious way in which the abandoned digger is reimagined as a sprawling, three-dimensional landscape for adventure.

Afterwards, the assembled critics and journalists give the film a warm round of applause, but for Miyamoto, who takes to the stage, it’s clear that something is missing. “You were all very quiet,” he says. “I was hoping to hear more laughter.” Then his eyes scan the crowd, sitting with notebooks on laps, and he smiles to himself, having identified the problem. “Perhaps we needed more children here,” he says.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/11201171/nintendo-super-mario-pikmin-tokyo-film-festival-mandarin-oriental-tokyo-sega-mario-kart-zelda-wii-oculus-rift.html

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

-“When you play a game, one moment you’re just controlling it and then suddenly you feel you’re in its world,” he says. “And that’s something you cannot experience through film or literature. It’s a completely unique experience.”-

This. I agree, games can learn nothing from movies.

I don't agree with everything Miyamoto says here but that actually makes me have more respect for his unique way of thinking, this is the kind of people we need not just in the VG world but everywhere, not people trying to make what everyone else thinks is cool, but people making what they think is cool and trying to get everyone else into liking it too, accomplishing that defines the true talent of an entertainer

A surprisingly small minded view coming from someone so creative.

Gaming is an expansion medium for entertainment; there's room for all kinds of games. Some people enjoy games like Heavy Rain that try to immerse them in a story. Some just want something like Mario, LBP or Viva Pinata that they can just jump into and enjoy. Others want games like MGS or TLOU, that have a bit of both.

As long as it's something people enjoy, it's worth making. I don't have much time for those that believe the world should warp itself to be exactly to their liking.

loool art can inspire art
i like when different foms of media mix
it creates more diverse experiences

Closed minded and arrogant pretending as if they are something special while putting nintendo in a box a tiny fraction will care about and buy. He has a bit of delusion of grandeur as if he knows whats best and everyone is wrong. Clearly time has past him by he is far past his gem creating prime.

Both formats can take something out from the other.  

Around the Network

Whatever Miyamoto, I find your games boring.

Man, Miyamoto's arrogance continues to amaze me.

Aah! He went and said it.

I think some are feeling the burn about now. Boring indeed.

I dont know how one can argue otherwise on the day 2 more assassins creed titles came out. xD

Well, I can enjoy a narrative-driven game just as much as a mario title. I'm happy that videogames can be all sorts of different and amazing experiences.

“Perhaps we needed more children here,” says a lot about the man and his expectations.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine