By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: 'What can games learn from film? Nothing'

Same quote but expanded I guess. Miyamoto needs to keep his opinions to himself especially when his games aren't doing so hot in sales and recognition recently.

Around the Network

Harsh name-calling for Miyamoto. If it was directed at users, I bet bans would be flying everywhere.

That said, I disagree with what he said. Every medium of entertainment can be improved by taking the best and incorporating into its own. Games that have excellent, engaging storytelling or heart-wrenching emotional moments have been influenced by TV and movies.

It's really disappointing coming from someone with such an experience on this field.

My best gaming experience was while playing Beyond: Two Souls. Many games have evolved to incredible emotional experiences which wasn't possible until last generation. I'm really glad that not every developer thinks like he does because as a gamer I couldn't be happier with the direction that certain games have taken.

I simply don't understand why he makes these statements. Doesn't he get how bad it sounds to people with a broader taste in gaming? If Kaz were to say something about cartoony games being a thing of the past,I would also hate his comment because it would, once again, be ignorant. There's obvious an audience for both. Neither is objectively boring and yes, some people like games that look like movies. He could have phrased it so much better. Sigh...

I feel like most people in this thread aren't actually reading the quote:

"They want to tell stories that will touch people’s hearts. And while I understand that desire, the trend worries me. It should be the experience, that is touching."

Do you disagree? Games like The Order are getting a lot of flak for showing you a story, instead of giving you the agency to make you feel like you, as a player, fit into the world. I think Miyamoto's vision is idealistic and blunt, but arrogant and close minded? Really?

PS: Why is the title quote nowhere to be found in the article?

MoHasanie said:

“They want to tell stories that will touch people’s hearts. And while I understand that desire, the trend worries me. It should be the experience, that is touching.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
naruball said:
It's really disappointing coming from someone with such an experience on this field.

My best gaming experience was while playing Beyond: Two Souls. Many games have evolved to incredible emotional experiences which wasn't possible until last generation. I'm really glad that not every developer thinks like he does because as a gamer I couldn't be happier with the direction that certain games have taken.

I simply don't understand why he makes these statements. Doesn't he get how bad it sounds to people with a broader taste in gaming? If Kaz were to say something about cartoony games being a thing of the past,I would also hate his comment because it would, once again, be ignorant. There's obvious an audience for both. Neither is objectively boring and yes, some people like games that look like movies. He could have phrased it so much better. Sigh...

Yeah, really seems weird that Nintendo people are saying stuff like this (I think Reggie said something similar recently). The Sony and Microsoft guys actually seem to respect their competition. I've seen Sony people compliment Nintendo a few times, and I've seen Phil Spencer saying he likes PlayStation.

It happens when you're on the bottem. During the Wii era, Nintendo was very respectful towards the competition yet Sony was the arrogant one. Now the positions and attitudes have switched.

He's taking it a bit too far in the other direction, but he has a point. Nobody says the games can't change or grow with the technical possibilities that allow for a more cinematic experience, but a lot of game development tends to forget that the core experience is about interactivity. Going story-heavy is a risk because your game needs to shine all the brighter or it will simply be that thing that gets in the way of the cutscenes, or you have cutscenes that constantly interrupt your flow (if you have the other problem of a good game with poor story)

The industry will change for the worse as folks like Miyamoto leave the scene, because they worked back in a day when a video game was a very organic product and not a mashup of multiple different industries. Their generation understands where the magic came from. While there are many very worth developers of this era, all of them operate in a box, bound by convention. None can recall when there were no conventions, and this colors their thinking.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I think you guys have missed the point. He is a game developer in its purist form and when he speaks here, it is from somebody who is in a position that designs the rules and function of the game. What can somebody in that position learn from movies? Nothing.

Graphics
Music
Art direction
Plot

These are nothing but enhancers. If this was a restaurant the game design is the main dish and the rest of those are appetizers. What he is saying is that there is a growing trend where the current industry wants to sell you the appetizer before the main meal. Games are being sold on everything but being a great game. The main focus of every video game should be being a good one, with or without appetizers

Miyamoto is maybe the best of all time, but he is totally limited by his vision, I really appreciate games with great narrative and stories, TLOU was as enganging as SMG.

When you have the single most important employee of a company speaking this way, you know why that company doesn't have the support from the West.

NNID: MagicalLight

FC: 4124 - 5888 - 4804

I couldn't agree more. I don't like these games where I am a passive spectator, I want to create the story