By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: 'What can games learn from film? Nothing'

Skidmore said:
Miyamoto is maybe the best of all time, but he is totally limited by his vision, I really appreciate games with great narrative and stories, TLOU was as enganging as SMG.

When you have the single most important employee of a company speaking this way, you know why that company doesn't have the support from the West.

He never said games like that shouldn't exist. He said that games should be working to move you through the experience, not just the story. TLOU involved the player in the story and gave them the feeling of agency. That is what Miyamoto is saying we could be working towards. If there was any game that Miyamoto would be criticizing here, it would probably be The Order, which seems to have a large disconnect between the story and the gameplay, and it seems to give the player little to no feeling of agency, just settling on telling the story instead of allowing the player to experience it...

Around the Network

He's exactly right on this one. The industry is loaded with wannabe filmmakers and game companies that wish they were movie companies *cough*Ubisoft*cough* They should go make movies if that's the way they feel about it, but the fact is, if their movies were written like their games, they'd be sodomized by film critics.

U know what games really shouldn't try to do is provide a more "cinematic" experience and go for 30 to sub 30 fps in order to do that nonsense

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

sundin13 said:
Skidmore said:
Miyamoto is maybe the best of all time, but he is totally limited by his vision, I really appreciate games with great narrative and stories, TLOU was as enganging as SMG.

When you have the single most important employee of a company speaking this way, you know why that company doesn't have the support from the West.

He never said games like that shouldn't exist. He said that games should be working to move you through the experience, not just the story. TLOU involved the player in the story and gave them the feeling of agency. That is what Miyamoto is saying we could be working towards. If there was any game that Miyamoto would be criticizing here, it would probably be The Order, which seems to have a large disconnect between the story and the gameplay, and it seems to give the player little to no feeling of agency, just settling on telling the story instead of allowing the player to experience it...

He clearly stated that never thought of a game as means of narrative, it's his point, but as the lead designer of Nintendo, he influence all of their games. The narrative in TLOU, the story, is the charm of that game, the gameplay was just an refined and slower uncharted, get the narrative out of it, and the game could suck.

NNID: MagicalLight

FC: 4124 - 5888 - 4804

Skidmore said:
sundin13 said:
Skidmore said:

He clearly stated that never thought of a game as means of narrative, it's his point, but as the lead designer of Nintendo, he influence all of their games. The narrative in TLOU, the story, is the charm of that game, the gameplay was just an refined and slower uncharted, get the narrative out of it, and the game could suck.

You last sentence is exactly what hes against!!!!!. That is why he doesnt support the narrative focus of current industry. 

Around the Network

Why do people keep bringing up The Order, i.e. a game that hasn't even released yet and for all we know can be brilliant (or terrible).

He'd have a point if most games were guilty of too many cutscenes that simply don't work. So far no examples have been provided other than a game that no one has played for more than a few minutes.

I agree with you Miya. First and foremost these are videogames and we must play it, not just look at it and brag about great graphics. We should be fighting for games with great gameplay and experiences, and not for polygons and textures.

Anyway, you won't be undertood by those who don't like Nintendo.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

It makes me wonder how the story is even made in Pikmin orMario 3D World. With Miyamoto's focus on gameplay first and story as an after thought, i still found the narrative and cutscenes in 3D World and all Pikmin games pretty well made. I especially love 3D World's intro and credits cutscene. There's a potential Tom and Jerry series there.

Miyamoto sees games as a medium to give gameplay, meaning everything else is just the support for good gameplay. That's how gaming started and that's how gaming is in its "purist" form.

However there are lots of other approaches to game design and I would really like to see games from Nintendo that can also tell a story and have good cinematics--I just don't want games that are TOO cinematic since those ARE really boring. Games with only story (like Visual Novels) are ok once in a while but are also kind of boring and feel more to me like... well, a visual novel, than a game in the normal sense.

But yeah, I don't think having only games with good gameplay is always good because there are lots of way to design games and while he's right that only games can do certain things, at the same time they can also do everything--they can implement good music, good cinematics, good story, good atmosphere, AND good gameplay. That's much better to me than just a game that has just good gameplay and music or just good story and atmosphere or just good cinematics. :P

So for once, I guess I kinda disagree with Miyamoto and think he could stand to be a bit more open-minded

Xxain said:

You last sentence is exactly what hes against!!!!!. That is why he doesnt support the narrative focus of current industry. 

I totally back-up him when the game focus entirely on that, and forget about the core mechanics, but Miyamoto is very strict on that, sometimes that may limit the output of new IPs, I understand that this may keep the high quality of Nintendo games, but they need to take more risks at times.

NNID: MagicalLight

FC: 4124 - 5888 - 4804