By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - First 30 minutes of Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric

Tagged games:

AZWification said:
curl-6 said:

Sonic Colours on Wii had better graphics than this.

(Then again, it had better graphics than Lost World too...)

It's pretty impressive that they managed to make such an awesome-looking Sonic game on the Wii though!

Yeah, Sonic Colours looks amazing for the hardware. The opening level of Planet Wisp where you race through the grass was a particular highlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqMevxSKiCQ

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
AZWification said:
curl-6 said:

It's pretty impressive that they managed to make such an awesome-looking Sonic game on the Wii though!

Yeah, Sonic Colours looks amazing for the hardware. The opening level of Planet Wisp where you race through the grass was a particular highlight.

Planet Wisp indeed looks gorgeous (never played Sonic Colors or any other Sonic game for that matter). Surprised the metacritic score of Colors is so "low". I usually only watch independent reviewers on youtube and Sonic Colors was well received for the most part.

I honestly think Metroid Prime 1 (2002) looks better than Sonic Boom. Is this just me or do others think the same?

Samus Aran said:
curl-6 said:

Planet Wisp indeed looks gorgeous (never played Sonic Colors or any other Sonic game for that matter). Surprised the metacritic score of Colors is so "low". I usually only watch independent reviewers on youtube and Sonic Colors was well received for the most part.

I honestly think Metroid Prime 1 (2002) looks better than Sonic Boom. Is this just me or do others think the same?

Prime 1 I don't quite think so, but Prime 2 and Resident Evil 4 definitely, which is something of a problem when your Wii U game gets visually upstaged by Gamecube games a decade old...

curl-6 said:
Samus Aran said:
curl-6 said:

Prime 1 I don't quite think so, but Prime 2 and Resident Evil 4 definitely, which is something of a problem when your Wii U game gets visually upstaged by Gamecube games a decade old...

When I play Metroid Prime I don't have to cringe at the awful graphics. When I'm watching a let's play of Sonic Boom I cringe a lot (I'm watching Cobanermani456's let's play of it). I don't just mean technically, but art style is also very important. And Sonic Boom just comes off as flat/bland. But yeah, Resident Evil 4 was one gorgeous game for the Gamecube.

Did Sonic Boom get a downgrade by the way? I don't remember it looking this bad in the first few trailers. And it didn't look good back then either. And why aren't there any reviews yet? Can't be because of an embargo right? Is no gaming site interested in this game lol? 

Samus Aran said:
curl-6 said:
Samus Aran said:

When I play Metroid Prime I don't have to cringe at the awful graphics. When I'm watching a let's play of Sonic Boom I cringe a lot (I'm watching Cobanermani456's let's play of it). I don't just mean technically, but art style is also very important. And Sonic Boom just comes off as flat/bland. But yeah, Resident Evil 4 was one gorgeous game for the Gamecube.

Did Sonic Boom get a downgrade by the way? I don't remember it looking this bad in the first few trailers. And it didn't look good back then either.

Yeah, it was downgraded heavily from early trailers. Seems to me like a game that just ran out of time/money.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I actually think Lost World looks fine for the most part. More simplistic art style, but vibrant and colorful. Although sometimes it's a bit too simplistic. Those trees are just meh. And the water looks awful as well, Mario Sunshine easily beats it in the water segments. :D

Samus Aran said:

And why aren't there any reviews yet? Can't be because of an embargo right? Is no gaming site interested in this game lol? 

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/11/11/where-are-igns-sonic-boom-rise-of-lyric-and-shattered-crystal-reviews

Sega didn't provide review copies... They really don't believe in their product.

Samus Aran said:
curl-6 said:

I actually think Lost World looks fine for the most part. More simplistic art style, but vibrant and colorful. Although sometimes it's a bit too simplistic. Those trees are just meh. And the water looks awful as well, Mario Sunshine easily beats it in the water segments. :D

I thought it look tacky and lacking in detail myself. Definitely preferred the greater visual nuance and diversity in Colours.

vkaraujo said:
Samus Aran said:
No reviews yet? When a game developer is confident in his product they end the review embargo a week or more before the release of the game.

So, only Nintendo is confident in their product? =P

Because i know Ubisoft didn't lifted watch dogs embargo until the release, and i believe many others followed this "strategy" this year.

For now:
Assassin's Creed (1 day) - No review
Dragon Age 3 (7 days) - No review
The Crew ( 21 days) - No review
Far Cry 4 (7 days) - No review
Watch Dogs Wii U (7 days) - No review

I am not sure, but anyone knows about Driveclub and CoD:AW?

vkaraujo said:

Because i know Ubisoft didn't lifted watch dogs embargo until the release, and i believe many others followed this "strategy" this year.

vkaraujo said:

Ubisoft

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

curl-6 said:
AZWification said:

It's a shame that not many devs tried to max out the Wii's graphical capabilities.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---