By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hyrule Warriors Might Have A Chance to Become the Best Selling DW Game in the US! (If Not Top 3 of the Series)

pokoko said:
Mnementh said:
pokoko said:
Shouldn't the comparison be with other Zelda games? I mean, that's the reason most people bought it.

I don't know what you saw, but all the advertisement I saw stated clearly it was a Warriors game in the zelda universe, not a zelda game.

Do you fear the next Dynasty/Samurai Warriors /Orochi on PS4 will sell worse and proactively spin?

What the hell are you talking about?

As I wrote, I don't think anyone took Hyrule Warriors for the next Zelda, it was pretty clear it's a Warriors game. So why should it be compared to Zelda-games? At most I would say, all comparisons are flawed, but where is the fun in this. It's clearly a Warriors game like One Piece Musou and should be compared to these games.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Deeds said:
tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:
*Sound Of Rain said:
pokoko said:
Shouldn't the comparison be with other Zelda games? I mean, that's the reason most people bought it.

It really shouldn't be compared to anything. People should take its sales for what it is.

With that said, if we are going to compare it with anything, DW games it should be. It plays like DW, not Zelda after all.

Whatever you compare it to, DW shouldn't be it. It's not a DW game.

Yeah, like Pirate Warriors isnt a DW game, its just an anime  right?

According to some people's strange logic, if you play basketball with a soccer ball, it isn't basketball.

If you put a meat patty in between sliced bread instead of buns, it isn't a hamburger. Rule #15 of VGChartz Logic.

Deeds said:
tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:
*Sound Of Rain said:
pokoko said:

It really shouldn't be compared to anything. People should take its sales for what it is.

With that said, if we are going to compare it with anything, DW games it should be. It plays like DW, not Zelda after all.

Whatever you compare it to, DW shouldn't be it. It's not a DW game.

Yeah, like Pirate Warriors isnt a DW game, its just an anime  right?

According to some people's strange logic, if you play basketball with a soccer ball, it isn't basketball.

TBH if we can have nonsensical comparisons about WiiU vs XBO vs PS4 (vs all the rest) even tho all consoles are different. Then we can have HW vs DW comparisons.

HW has more in common with DW than Wiiu does have with PS4.

People should compare everything or NOTHING and stop having arbitrary rules for every shit there exists.

Console 1 looks better than console 2  BUT BUT BUT PC does not count etc etc etc....
All this nonsense...

tbone51 said:
bubblegamer said:
Tlozjb said:
It is thanks to Zelda, if it were just a Dynasty Warriors game on Wii U, it wouldn't be doing those numbers, but it is something, and atleast shows the game has been well received, in that time.

Correct and that is why this is a flawed comparison.

No its not a flawed comparison, i didnt hear this excuse with OP DW.

Also same can be said with HW in japan, we were all comparing it with all the DW games there right? Bt then this one doesn't count? :-/

I think thats flawed, im not saying LoZ didn't help, cuz i be lying. I get what both of you are saying but it doesn't change the fact its a DW game. Like OP was the #1 DW game last gen.

When comparing HW in Japan, the comparison works because Zelda and DW are pretty equal in popuarlity (Zelda actually sells better than DW in Japan, but it's close enough).

I don't completely agree that your comparison is bad, but it makes much more sense in Japan where the IPs are comparable whereas that's not the case in the West.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Teeqoz said:
Guys, can't we just agree that we're comparing a Warriors (musou) game to anpther Warriors (musou) game?

Noooooo! There must be War!

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
pokoko said:

As I wrote, I don't think anyone took Hyrule Warriors for the next Zelda, it was pretty clear it's a Warriors game. So why should it be compared to Zelda-games? At most I would say, all comparisons are flawed, but where is the fun in this. It's clearly a Warriors game like One Piece Musou and should be compared to these games.

You're telling me that most of the people who bought Hyrule Warriors bought it because it's a Warriors game?  I'm guessing that most of the 5 million people who bought Link's Crossbow Training just really liked crossbows, too?

Look, depite your accusation that I tried to spin this for some reason, I really don't give a rat's ass either way.  I just thought a Zelda comparison would be more interesting since I'm pretty damn sure most of the sale for this game in the west are because it has Link and Zelda.  Now, as to why that would bother someone enough that they'd throw insults over it, I have no clue.

I don't even care if you want to compare it to other Warriors games, which I've already said.  All I'm saying is that I don't think we'll find anything interesting in that, other than the fact that Zelda is more popular in the west than Romance of the Three Kingdoms.  Surprise, surprise.  Gundam and One Piece are more interesting but again we run into the fact that neither are as popular in the west as Zelda and that those games aren't on Nintendo consoles here (as far as I know).

So why are people getting angry and upset that I think comparing it to Link's Crossbow Training, Four Swords, or Twilight Princess is more intriguing?  I have no bloody clue, other than they perhaps are worried that it won't "win", but why would anyone give a damn about that?  That's not why we do comparisons.

Honestly, this whole bloody thread has gotten ridiculous.  I don't have any agenda.  I've laid out my rationale and, even if you don't agree, I think I've been fair and that my points are at least worthy of thought.  Regardless, people are getting silly over this and I'm tired of it.

pokoko said:
Mnementh said:
pokoko said:

You're telling me that most of the people who bought Hyrule Warriors bought it because it's a Warriors game?  I'm guessing that most of the 5 million people who bought Link's Crossbow Training just really liked crossbows, too?

Look, depite your accusation that I tried to spin this for some reason, I really don't give a rat's ass either way.  I just thought a Zelda comparison would be more interesting since I'm pretty damn sure most of the sale for this game in the west are because it has Link and Zelda.  Now, as to why that would bother someone enough that they'd throw insults over it, I have no clue.

I don't even care if you want to compare it to other Warriors games, which I've already said.  All I'm saying is that I don't think we'll find anything interesting in that, other than the fact that Zelda is more popular in the west than Romance of the Three Kingdoms.  Surprise, surprise.  Gundam and One Piece are more interesting but again we run into the fact that neither are as popular in the west as Zelda and that those games aren't on Nintendo consoles here (as far as I know).

So why are people getting angry and upset that I think comparing it to Link's Crossbow Training, Four Swords, or Twilight Princess is more intriguing?  I have no bloody clue, other than they perhaps are worried that it won't "win", but why would anyone give a damn about that?  That's not why we do comparisons.

Honestly, this whole bloody thread has gotten ridiculous.  I don't have any agenda.  I've laid out my rationale and, even if you don't agree, I think I've been fair and that my points are at least worthy of thought.  Regardless, people are getting silly over this and I'm tired of it.

Yeah, let's even compare SSB with Mario Kart and Paper Mario. Every one of those has Mario.

Paper Mario is a flop.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
pokoko said:

Yeah, let's even compare SSB with Mario Kart and Paper Mario. Every one of those has Mario.

Paper Mario is a flop.

*sigh*

They certainly and absolutely can be compared, as the characters involved are one of the main points of success for each of them.  None of those games would sell as many copies if they did not star Mario characters.  I think everyone can agree with that.

As for your second sentence, that doesn't even make sense.  Are there people who think that everything has to be a 1:1 comparison?  Probably, but I hope they eventually gain a little more knowledge before they graduate from school.  The goal of a comparison is to see what we can learn; if it's not a direct comparison across the board then there is no point in reaching an absolute conclusion.

Let me give you an example.

If I compare two NFL Quarterbacks who have been starters for 5+ years, I might have the goal of saying, "this one is better than that one."  On the other hand, if I'm comparing an NFL Quarterback to a college Quarterback, my goals will probably be completely different.  

We compare two things that share similar elements to see what we can learn, both about those elements which are similar and those which are different.

pokoko said:

*sigh*

They certainly and absolutely can be compared, as the characters involved are one of the main points of success for each of them.  None of those games would sell as many copies if they did not star Mario characters.  I think everyone can agree with that.

As for your second sentence, that doesn't even make sense.  Are there people who think that everything has to be a 1:1 comparison?  Probably, but I hope they eventually gain a little more knowledge before they graduate from school.  The goal of a comparison is to see what we can learn; if it's not a direct comparison across the board then there is no point in reaching an absolute conclusion.

Let me give you an example.

If I compare two NFL Quarterbacks who have been starters for 5+ years, I might have the goal of saying, "this one is better than that one."  On the other hand, if I'm comparing an NFL Quarterback to a college Quarterback, my goals will probably be completely different.  

We compare two things that share similar elements to see what we can learn, both about those elements which are similar and those which are different.

Agreed. Modnation Racers, PSASBR and LBP has not sell similar to NSMB, Mario Kart or Super Smash Bros.

And what did you learn from comparing a Zelda Musou game (first ever in the franchise) with Link's Corssbow Training (an on-rails shooter similar to RE Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles) and a real Zelda game?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I think the comparisons to previous DW games are very appropriate, because it's evidence that musou games aren't as inherently disliked in the west as initially thought; it just lacked something with a more western appeal to draw people's interest. I was interested in HW partially because of the Zelda fanservice, yes, but also because I was already slightly interested in DW previously. Unfortunately, they really did lack a strong appealing factor to really get me to take notice, which is what the Zelda paint provided.