By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Why are you still here?

Why do you keep coming back (Primarily)

The chartz! 108 35.88%

The peoplez/Forumz! 78 25.91%

The articlez! 3 1.00%

The adz! (lol) 9 2.99%

I don't know.... I shoul... 102 33.89%

Total:300

At the beginning the site had people that would start conversations based of of historical data, and had very good analysis and fact supported assumptions, that has been becoming more and more scarce lately, but its still around, I come back for those. BUT also lately we have threads with created with assertions in the OP based on nothing and crazy assumptions and absurdities, that is why I participate less now.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:
When I first signed up to this site, I was around 15/16 years old. I'm now 23. I was living in United Kingdom, I'm now a Hong Kong resident. I never held a job in my life and was in the closing years of secondary school. I've now graduated from University and have a lucrative career in an investment bank. I had never kissed a girl, I'm now in the second year of a relationship with a woman who I will probably marry in the future.

In short, I grew up here. Back when I first signed, I was an avid gamer. I miss those nights whether it was just me, or with friends, where I/we would order pizza, get in big bottles of coke, big bags of Dorito's and Haribos and just just game all night. I spent most of my free time on this very site - I loved the community, and I felt respected.

In college / uni, I developed (as most do) in my mind politically / philosophically, and I found that the politics section was the perfect mix of people where we could have healthy debate without feeling singled out, there were always multiple viewpoints, people shifting "allegiances", etc. A great time

As much as I love my life now, I miss the past. I can't have those nights in with friends anymore. Hell, I'm not even remotely in the same timezone as them. Between my career, my relationship, maintaining contact with people back West, and all the other crap that comes with being an adult, games are almost a no-go. One or two hours a week, if I'm lucky (and that includes time spent on the crapper with my phone).

But I still have vgchartz, that's my blast from the past. I'm like the retired cop who kept hold of his radio. It's why I stick around. I get so much joy out of seeing old faces around here, even if I never interacted with them before they departed (looking at you super_etecoon).

I might try and give something back to the community. I'll have a think.

Ha.  It's always great seeing the 2007 members...the community was smaller then and I could keep track of people and their avatars.  I left IGN and gamespot to come here back in '06, and didn't sign up until '07, probably to respond to a Kwaad thread.  The community here was so much less anonymous than at the other gaming forums.  It was obviously just getting started and the mods in particular were level headed and fair.  I've actually made real friends from this site....many that I've met in person since I got to go to E3 in '09 and some that have drifted away.  Where is El Duderino anyway?  And kenzomatic?  

But yes...I don't remember ever interacting with you...but definitely recognize your avatar, your screen name, and certainly have respect for you.  I don't seem to remember ever reading a post of yours and thinking "that guy's a jerk."  In some ways I think we see and interact more with the people that get under our skin than those that appear level headed and "cool."

I think that VGC may be a gaming forum and is the glue that keeps us all together...but the forum is also so many other things.  It's movies, and politics, and life, and to a large extent a place to sort out all the bullshit in the world.  It's why, despite the fact that the site got over run by spammers for a while, I've never wanted to move on to gamewise or any other offshoot of VGC (or any other forum for that matter). VGC is home.  It's like going back home after leaving for a while and seeing old friends and thinking, "You're still here?"  So yeah, who would have thought that a gaming forum could fill you with homesick nostalgia. 

For the animated gifs.
No actually there is two reasons
1) To be able to see if anything worthwhile is happening with just a glance
2) The charts. I'm just amazed the new gen sell in such amazing numbers

Why? Do you not want me here? Fine. I'll leave, then.

super_etecoon said:

I think that VGC may be a gaming forum and is the glue that keeps us all together...but the forum is also so many other things.  It's movies, and politics, and life, and to a large extent a place to sort out all the bullshit in the world.  It's why, despite the fact that the site got over run by spammers for a while, I've never wanted to move on to gamewise or any other offshoot of VGC (or any other forum for that matter). VGC is home.  It's like going back home after leaving for a while and seeing old friends and thinking, "You're still here?"  So yeah, who would have thought that a gaming forum could fill you with homesick nostalgia. 

Beautiful. You just won this thread. 

Around the Network

Neogaf is to busy. Threads go by so fast that people often get overlooked.

I came for chartz and the database.

Don't really check the chartz and the game collection part of that database is gone. That really sucks, but I'm dealing with it. I come back for the people I know, Japanese sales, and the habits that are built in after years here. I get frustrated time from time and have to close it out (largely because of some ignorance from newer members about sales), but I generally come back and move on.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

badgenome said:
Why? Do you not want me here? Fine. I'll leave, then.

Let me guess.. You are going to GAF?

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:

Let me guess.. You are going to GAF?

No way. GAF is even worse than here. I'll probably go somewhere less horrible, like the Youtube comments section.

BTW, ioi. If you are reading this, the poll says that more people come for ads than for the news articles on the side. Let that sink in. :P