By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's innovations to gaming.

They surely weren't the first at many things, but they surely were what made already existing things that were too obscure and odd to the majority of people, and turned it into simple things all ppl can use. But I still believe it's in what matters, the games, that sony's first parties innovated more.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Around the Network
dane007 said:
ICStats said:
Here's some I think may be first on Sony:
- System link (PS1)
- 1st console with dedicated memory cards (PS1)
- 1st console with HDMI (PS3)
- 1st console with 3D TV support (PS3)

360 came out before ps3 and the 360 had hdmi . therefore 360 would be first with hdmi.

The original Xbox 360 did not have hdmi.  It was added in a later revision, after PS3 released.  I recall since I have one of the original models.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_360_retail_configurations

The first XB360 with HDMI came in July 2007 according to this.

My 8th gen collection

ICStats said:
dane007 said:
ICStats said:
- System link (PS1)

360 came out before ps3 and the 360 had hdmi . therefore 360 would be first with hdmi.

The original Xbox 360 did not have hdmi.  It was added in a later revision, after PS3 released.

are you referring to  giving hdmi cable  when you buy a ps3?  I thought you were to having HDMI capability lol.  When i got my ps3 slim , there wasn't any HDMI cable in the boz. i had to buy one. The xbox 360  , the one at launch had a cable that was coponent and composite. you could switch between the two. 

Guitarguy said:

Hey guys, thought we could compile a list of things Sony have pioneered that have become staples in gaming and have been followed since. These are just some I could think of and they might not be totally accurate, looking for corrections and additions :P

First DVD enabled console(PS2)
First blu ray enabled console(PS3)
First controller to have 4 shoulder buttons
First controller to have twin analog sticks(twin flight sticks don't really count)
First controller to have clickable analog sticks(L3 and R3)
First controller to have analog pressure button(PS2/PS3. Xbox OG copied this, ultimately dropped with the 360/PS4).
First console to contain USB ports(PS2 onwards)
Eyetoy(PS2, might have been after the DreamEye on Dreamcast..)
First console to output HD(PS2 with GT4)
VR(Along with Ocultus Rift)

What else?

Half of those I wouldn't call innovations but iterations of existing technology.  (DVD, Bluray, 4 shoulder buttons...)

The other half are not correct as someone else did them (eyetoy, first HD console, VR)

There are things where Sony innovated but this list doesn't have them. Think along the lines of business model innovations of selling hardware at a loss to make money back on softwre... That was unheard of before Sony.

JazzB1987 said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Mike_L said:
Mystro-Sama said:
B-But according to the Nintendo fanboys Sony copied everything from the almighty 'N'.

Inspiration goes both ways I guess. The "Wii" series that went to sell over 200 mill is a product of Nintendo copying the PlayStation Eyetoy tech and series of games. x}

But don't tell anyone.....

Which is my point. Nintendo didn't create EVERYTHING.

'
Made by AGE and was an officially licenced Nintendo product.

And FYI the Wii was successful because of the price and because of the motion sensors NOT because there was a camera built in.

Also Gameboy Color played Gameboy games. Sega also had something like that but I believe it was just with some extra hardware addons. Being backwards compatible does not qualify then. And when you count Computers then BC is a very very old feature.

The wii was definately not popular because of the camera it didn't have.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
dane007 said:
ICStats said:
dane007 said:
ICStats said:
- System link (PS1)

The original Xbox 360 did not have hdmi.  It was added in a later revision, after PS3 released.

are you referring to  giving hdmi cable  when you buy a ps3?  I thought you were to having HDMI capability lol.  When i got my ps3 slim , there wasn't any HDMI cable in the boz. i had to buy one. The xbox 360  , the one at launch had a cable that was coponent and composite. you could switch between the two. 

Nothing to do with there being a cable in a box, the original model of X360 doesn't have a HDMI port on it, like he said it wasn't until sept 09 long after the PS3 was launched when there was a 360 with a HDMI port.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

dane007 said:
ICStats said:
dane007 said:
ICStats said:
- System link (PS1)

Ugh, try to do some research before arguing about this more.  I provided a link.  Check it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_360_retail_configurations .

The original Xbox 360 did not have HDMI capability.  There was no HDMI port added until mid-2007 models.

My 8th gen collection

Tamron said:
Guitarguy said:

First DVD enabled console(PS2) - True (though cdi did VCD)
First blu ray enabled console(PS3) - True
First controller to have 4 shoulder buttons - False
First controller to have twin analog sticks(twin flight sticks don't really count) - False
First controller to have clickable analog sticks(L3 and R3) - False
First controller to have analog pressure button(PS2/PS3. Xbox OG copied this, ultimately dropped with the 360/PS4). - True
First console to contain USB ports(PS2 onwards) - True
Eyetoy(PS2, might have been after the DreamEye on Dreamcast..) - False
First console to output HD(PS2 with GT4) - True
VR(Along with Ocultus Rift) - False, Virtual Boy.

What was the first to have these?

Six Axis, full VR, Motion tracking, cross-play between console and games.

Guitarguy said:
Tamron said:
Guitarguy said:

First DVD enabled console(PS2) - True (though cdi did VCD)
First blu ray enabled console(PS3) - True
First controller to have 4 shoulder buttons - False
First controller to have twin analog sticks(twin flight sticks don't really count) - False
First controller to have clickable analog sticks(L3 and R3) - False
First controller to have analog pressure button(PS2/PS3. Xbox OG copied this, ultimately dropped with the 360/PS4). - True
First console to contain USB ports(PS2 onwards) - True
Eyetoy(PS2, might have been after the DreamEye on Dreamcast..) - False
First console to output HD(PS2 with GT4) - True
VR(Along with Ocultus Rift) - False, Virtual Boy.

What was the first to have these?

So it would be innovative for a new company to have 4 shoulder buttons with a rear button (like the Z button on an N64) or to have 6 shoulder buttons?  I don't get why we're even calling that an innovation.