By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's innovations to gaming.

Hey guys, thought we could compile a list of things Sony have pioneered that have become staples in gaming and have been followed since. These are just some I could think of and they might not be totally accurate, looking for corrections and additions :P

First DVD enabled console(PS2)
First blu ray enabled console(PS3)
First controller to have 4 shoulder buttons
First controller to have twin analog sticks(twin flight sticks don't really count)
First controller to have clickable analog sticks(L3 and R3)
First controller to have analog pressure button(PS2/PS3. Xbox OG copied this, ultimately dropped with the 360/PS4).
First console to contain USB ports(PS2 onwards)
Eyetoy(PS2, might have been after the DreamEye on Dreamcast..)
First console to output HD(PS2 with GT4)
VR(Along with Ocultus Rift)

What else?

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
PS1 being able to play CDs?
The Eye Toy?
Backwards compatibility?

Backwards compatibility for sure unless the old Atari's had that feature? Was the 3DO not the first console to play CDs?

Guitarguy said:
Ka-pi96 said:
PS1 being able to play CDs?
The Eye Toy?
Backwards compatibility?

Backwards compatibility for sure unless the old Atari's had that feature? Was the 3DO not the first console to play CDs?

old ataris did for sure you could play 2600 games on the 5200 in 2600 mode. Also the mega drive could play Master system games with a simple form convertor (no additional hardware) and the Gameboy range always maintained one lvl of backwards compatibility all the way to the 3DS.

PS2 was the first system I know of that had a media remote control for dvd's and cd playing ability.

PS2 would have been the first system out capable of doing HD output in a comercial game (GT4 had 720p or 1080i in a mode)

Was the Psone the first system with removable memory cards? ... I know that the saturn was a cd based system but it's memory was 100% not removable from the system... not sure about this one.

eerrr.... Ps3 was the first system where people tried to claim it had no games for years after there was infact hundreds of games?

edit -

I'm incorrect.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

CD based gaming, dual analog sticks, music and rythm games, first to make console cool among young adults

Turkish said:
CD based gaming, dual analog sticks, music and rythm games, first to make console cool among young adults

@bold they weren't the first

@underlined Which console are you talking about tho? and how do you determine cool? or what a young adult is, that isn't really something that Sony brought to the market.

@bold + underlined - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_Aerobics

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

First console manufacturer to sell 100m consoles
first console manufacturer to do it twice.

Clickable sticks are cool. Thanks Sony.

First console to feature a guitar hero game and start that whole industry of plastic band instruments.

turns out the original Xbox launched with the DVD playback kit (since it didn't have dvd ability out of the box) so the ps2 didn't get it for a couple of months after the Xbox in terms of a media remote control.

First console pushed as mainly 3d console - ps1 (both hardware support and marketing was important)
First console supporting Gouraud shading- ps1 (pretty revolutionary at the time, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouraud_shading#mediaviewer/File:D3D_Shading_Modes.png )
First console to offer cd-audio sound quality - ps1

Some of above was actually predated by Saturn, which on paper had similar features and came out month before PS1, but implementation of those feature on PS1 was much better.