By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's innovations to gaming.

I think that you guys are not looking at sony in the way you should. Hardware is cool, but sony is more about bussiness decisions:

First to offer a service where complete games where avaible a few months after launch
First to put console games in mobile phones
First to offer cross play in consoles
First to offer cross buy in consoles
First to offer console games in a rent service
First to let another online store sell their digital products
First to offer a digital store for their consoles that could be acessed anywhere

Those are the real innovation that sony brougth, and where they really suceeded.

Innovation== popularity

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

Around the Network
justiceiro said:
I think that you guys are not looking at sony in the way you should. Hardware is cool, but sony is more about bussiness decisions:

First to offer a service where complete games where avaible a few months after launch
First to offer a digital store for their consoles that could be acessed anywhere

Those are the real innovation that sony brougth, and where they really suceeded.

Innovation== popularity

You added some nice points to the existing ones

Sony made the first HD collection (God Of War: Collection), widely popular in the industry now.
Sony began the trend of Hollywood-esque action games (Uncharted: Drake's Fortune), a genre which is hugely popular now.
Sony made the first sim racing game (Gran Turismo), a genre which is loved by both hardcore and casual gamers.

Blob said:
JazzB1987 said:
Guitarguy said:

Hey guys, thought we could compile a list of things Sony have pioneered that have become staples in gaming and have been followed since. These are just some I could think of and they might not be totally accurate, looking for corrections and additions :P

First DVD enabled console(PS2)
First blu ray enabled console(PS3)
First controller to have 4 shoulder buttons
First controller to have twin analog sticks(twin flight sticks don't really count)
First controller to have clickable analog sticks(L3 and R3)
First controller to have analog pressure button(PS2/PS3. Xbox OG copied this, ultimately dropped with the 360/PS4).
First console to contain USB ports(PS2 onwards)
Eyetoy(PS2)
First console to output HD(PS2 with GT4)

What else?

when you need to add completely irrelevant stuff like movie support and USB ports to "innovations to gaming" and the other half of your list is "added another one of already existing things" then the list is pretty  sad imo.

Kind of have to agree with you on this one, but I think we would be the minority lol

Adding double what the competition had, adding a few things pcs have, and using your consoles to push whatever media format they were currently invested in were hardly ground shattering innovations. I Definately like the clickable analoge sticks, the eye toy and pressure sensitive buttons though.

A sad fact when that list of things is not connected to gaming (aka gameplay). Just some tech tricks...

justiceiro said:

Innovation== popularity

Dreamcast let PC gamers play against console gamers.  Remember Quake III?

Also, Xbox 360's Marketplace  came before PSN and allowed purchases over Xbox.com.

Some of those, I guess  are innovative but seem to be scraping the bucket.  Somebody should make one of these threads for Nintendo and Microsoft.  We'll probably find that most of the things we think they did first were copied from someone else as well unless we add "First console to..." as a prefix.

Around the Network
Sharu said:
Blob said:
JazzB1987 said:
Guitarguy said:

Hey guys, thought we could compile a list of things Sony have pioneered that have become staples in gaming and have been followed since. These are just some I could think of and they might not be totally accurate, looking for corrections and additions :P

First DVD enabled console(PS2)
First blu ray enabled console(PS3)
First controller to have 4 shoulder buttons
First controller to have twin analog sticks(twin flight sticks don't really count)
First controller to have clickable analog sticks(L3 and R3)
First controller to have analog pressure button(PS2/PS3. Xbox OG copied this, ultimately dropped with the 360/PS4).
First console to contain USB ports(PS2 onwards)
Eyetoy(PS2)
First console to output HD(PS2 with GT4)

What else?

when you need to add completely irrelevant stuff like movie support and USB ports to "innovations to gaming" and the other half of your list is "added another one of already existing things" then the list is pretty  sad imo.

Kind of have to agree with you on this one, but I think we would be the minority lol

Adding double what the competition had, adding a few things pcs have, and using your consoles to push whatever media format they were currently invested in were hardly ground shattering innovations. I Definately like the clickable analoge sticks, the eye toy and pressure sensitive buttons though.

A sad fact when that list of things is not connected to gaming (aka gameplay). Just some tech tricks...

Read my post above to know their innovations in gaming.

d21lewis said:
justiceiro said:

Innovation== popularity

Dreamcast let PC gamers play against console gamers.  Remember Quake III?

Also, Xbox 360's Marketplace  came before PSN and allowed purchases over Xbox.com.

Some of those, I guess  are innovative but seem to be scraping the bucket.  Somebody should make one of these threads for Nintendo and Microsoft.  We'll probably find that most of the things we think they did first were copied from someone else as well unless we add "First console to..." as a prefix.

crossplay: exchange saves with handheld ports of games.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

Mike_L said:
Mystro-Sama said:
B-But according to the Nintendo fanboys Sony copied everything from the almighty 'N'.

Inspiration goes both ways I guess. The "Wii" series that went to sell over 200 mill is a product of Nintendo copying the PlayStation Eyetoy tech and series of games. x}

But don't tell anyone.....

Sega Dreameye came out before Sony's product.  

the last of us 

god of war

uncharted 

this is innovation

Am I the only one getting the feeling that the attempts to add things that are innovative is sounding a bit desperate here now? Innovations in gaming, for me, is when you actually affect the way we play and interact with games. Crossplay is definetely one of those things, but a DVD or BluRay? Give Sony real credit for real innovations instead of focusing on mostly irrelevant additions to gaming.

I would, however, put Sony more in the ballpark of MS, where both are companies that are experts att refining precious innovations and making them appealing to the mass market. That is something that the industry has benefitted greatly from and a thing they should get much credit for.