By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's innovations to gaming.

Guitarguy said:

Hey guys, thought we could compile a list of things Sony have pioneered that have become staples in gaming and have been followed since. These are just some I could think of and they might not be totally accurate, looking for corrections and additions :P

First DVD enabled console(PS2)
First blu ray enabled console(PS3)
First controller to have 4 shoulder buttons
First controller to have twin analog sticks(twin flight sticks don't really count)
First controller to have clickable analog sticks(L3 and R3)
First controller to have analog pressure button(PS2/PS3. Xbox OG copied this, ultimately dropped with the 360/PS4).
First console to contain USB ports(PS2 onwards)
Eyetoy(PS2, might have been after the DreamEye on Dreamcast..)
First console to output HD(PS2 with GT4)
VR(Along with Ocultus Rift)

What else?

1.PS brand is the first brand that brought gaming Market from a nische market to more biger and mainstream market.

2.PS brand is the brand that brought  the important of 3rd party developer on console industry.

Around the Network

First system to have an HD game was the OG Xbox with NBA 2K3.

Hmm, well they did make gaming "mainstream" in a sense.

Here's some I think may be first on Sony:
- System link (PS1)
- 1st console with dedicated memory cards (PS1)
- 1st console with HDMI (PS3)
- 1st console with 3D TV support (PS3)

My 8th gen collection

justiceiro said:
d21lewis said:
justiceiro said:
I think that you guys are not looking at sony in the way you should. Hardware is cool, but sony is more about bussiness decisions:

First to offer a service where complete games where avaible a few months after launch
First to put console games in mobile phones
First to offer cross play in consoles
First to offer cross buy in consoles
First to offer console games in a rent service
First to let another online store sell their digital products
First to offer a digital store for their consoles that could be acessed anywhere

Those are the real innovation that sony brougth, and where they really suceeded.

Innovation== popularity

Dreamcast let PC gamers play against console gamers.  Remember Quake III?

Also, Xbox 360's Marketplace  came before PSN and allowed purchases over Xbox.com.

Some of those, I guess  are innovative but seem to be scraping the bucket.  Somebody should make one of these threads for Nintendo and Microsoft.  We'll probably find that most of the things we think they did first were copied from someone else as well unless we add "First console to..." as a prefix.

crossplay: exchange saves with handheld ports of games.

TurboGrafx 16/Turbo Xpress, then.  You could pop the game out of the console and put it right into the portable and keep on playing.  Not quite the same as transferring saves but it gets the same result, right

The more I think about it, was the PSN the first service to offer full retail games on their store?  I think they did Day One sales first but I think M$ (and of course, Steam) did full games first.

Around the Network

Jumping Flash for PS1 was the 1st 3D platformer.

champisaak said:

the last of us 

god of war

uncharted 

this is innovation

well said

MegaManX said:
Sony was not the first CD based console, the 3DO, Sega CD, Turbografx-16, Neo Geo CD, Philips CDI, and Atari Jaguar spring to mind and I'm sure there were other more obscure consoles that did to.

sega saturn used CD as well

ICStats said:
Here's some I think may be first on Sony:
- System link (PS1)
- 1st console with dedicated memory cards (PS1)
- 1st console with HDMI (PS3)
- 1st console with 3D TV support (PS3)

360 came out before ps3 and the 360 had hdmi . therefore 360 would be first with hdmi.

Guitarguy said:

First DVD enabled console(PS2) - True (though cdi did VCD)
First blu ray enabled console(PS3) - True
First controller to have 4 shoulder buttons - False
First controller to have twin analog sticks(twin flight sticks don't really count) - False
First controller to have clickable analog sticks(L3 and R3) - False
First controller to have analog pressure button(PS2/PS3. Xbox OG copied this, ultimately dropped with the 360/PS4). - True
First console to contain USB ports(PS2 onwards) - True
Eyetoy(PS2, might have been after the DreamEye on Dreamcast..) - False
First console to output HD(PS2 with GT4) - True
VR(Along with Ocultus Rift) - False, Virtual Boy.