By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Smash 3DS is great!! But...

Tagged games:

JazzB1987 said:

How is that silly? They could reuse assets to make another NSMB stage etc.  Or well Gameboy stage (its just jpegs with no polygons other than the floor)
Smash 3DS has some music   Brawl had a ton.  But you had to unlock alot of that as far as I know. In the 3DS version? nope

The first page of the challenges almost does itself without work. And if you finish that page the second one is already 50% done.  Stagas and characters also almost unlock themselves because there is no effort needed to unlock them etc. and everys 10 or so fights a new challenger appears. This has nothing to do with the 3DS hardware but with   dont giving a fuck about the game.

TBH to me it seems like this: 
Nintendo: Smash will come out
Sakurai: What? Noone told me.
Nintendo: Sakurai please do another smash for us.
Sakurai: Okay How much time do I have?
Nintendo: Mid/End 2014.
Sakurai: What only?
Nintendo: Yes.

End result unpolished game. (Despite the fighting itself which is glorious)
Kid Icarus is a great game made by the same guy. Smash not so much in terms of contect.

The menu is also a mess. The game has no intro  etc etc. (Do an ingame intro if the cartridge is to small for a movie one) 

The game does not feel epic at all. It feels like a demo to me.

I am trying to tell you that there is no room for anything more on the 3DS. You may not like the breath of content that they did provide, that doesn't take away from it, but they simply could not fit more. You are comparing a multi-gig disc system game (Brawl, Melee) to a cartridge game that is going to be running about as well as the N64. (The game cannot run an intro movie. They are memory hogs as well as CPU hogs, neither of which it has any to spare.) KI:Uprising didn't have to turn off the 3DS OS to be able to run.

The music is fixed to two tracks per stage for a very real, machine limited reason as well as space (music takes up a lot of memory). It cannot hold, nor can it run, more than it does. Having more tracks buried in the code, compressed, would mean jack shit. So what are you going to unlock? Music you can't use? Music the game can't hold or play?

Take this game, compare it to the N64 or even Melee. Just how much are you missing? I'm going to bet nothing, and in fact the 3DS has more content than either of those, by a sizable margin. The problem is you're trying to, now, compared a recent console system release to a handheld.

Around the Network

Maybe the whole choose your time limit and items and stuff will be in the wii u version or in an update

Consoles owned: Wii U wii gamecube DS DS lite DSi 3DS Xbox 360 Gameboy Gameboy color Gameboy advance Gameboy Advance sp Gameboy micro and PC. 

JazzB1987 said:

I am disappointed with the game.

It lacks content. The stage number is smaller than brawl!
The single player experience is crap. You can unlock every character and stage within 3 hours. (I did that and did not look for walkthrough or whatever at all) Even tho i have not played smash or any other fighting game in years. There is no challenge whatsoever.

The only thing left is some of the challenges but since there is nothing I can unlock why do them? (well and trophies but this again does not need any skill it just needs time)

Brawl was much better in every single thing minus the character balance.  I love how Smash 3DS plays. (the controls suck tho)

You unlock characters and stages quickly because there are more things to unlock in this game. It has more trophies than Brawl and it has 8 unlockable custom special moves for almost every character. You say unlocking things takes only time and is not difficult, but it has always been that way. Every character in Melee and Brawl could be unlocked just by playing a bunch of matches, doesn't matter if you win or lose. There are a ton of solo modes you can play, there are rewards for beating most of them on high difficulties or with the entire roster, and on top of that now there's a kind of leaderboard system to encourage you to try to beat your own scores. There is no shortage of content in this game.

I3LuEI3omI3eR said:

I still feel they're little things missing in order for it to be a CLASSIC! This is referring to the Wii U version as well.

I really miss some of the old Retro stages from the old Smashes (N64 Dreamland, Pokémon Falls, Fourside, Mushroom Kingdom II or Subcon, all from Melee).

Also the character selection, don't get me wrong its great, but I feel they should definitely add just a few more from past Smashes as well (Mewtwo, Ice Climbers, Star Wolf, and Snake come to mind).

Also I hear people want Story Mode again (which in god's name don't understand WHY!). I think this mode is what turned me away from Brawl. To each their own, I guess.

And finally the online mode. There needs to be an option to control the time limits, stocks, and items. I still don't understand why Nintendo can't do something about the Online mode being more user friendly and players having more control over it. This also turned me away from Brawl, BIG TIME! Why does Nintendo have to control how long I can fight with random players, choose the stage for us, and decide whether or not I want to Smash with items and STILL want it to count or not?

Hopefully, they will add many of these features in DLC or Patch.

Thoughts or your own ways to make Smash more memorable?

I planned on getting it for Wii-U and still might but after playing the demo on the 3DS, I might just stick to Melee instead. It kinda feels Maddenish to me (I skipped Brawl all together) in that it doesn't really feel like it's improved since the Gamecube version. The jump from the N64 to Gamecube was HUGE. Everything from graphics to music to gameplay, all improved and all leaps and bounds better. This version? It feels like a step back in alot of ways from Melee. 

Looking through the music, there are a LOT of essential tracks from Brawl that are missing. Hopefully the Wii U has bigger soundtrack. But I also assume I will unlock more songs, so hopefully that will help.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Around the Network
Vena said:

I am trying to tell you that there is no room for anything more on the 3DS. You may not like the breath of content that they did provide, that doesn't take away from it, but they simply could not fit more. You are comparing a multi-gig disc system game (Brawl, Melee) to a cartridge game that is going to be running about as well as the N64. (The game cannot run an intro movie. They are memory hogs as well as CPU hogs, neither of which it has any to spare.) KI:Uprising didn't have to turn off the 3DS OS to be able to run.

The music is fixed to two tracks per stage for a very real, machine limited reason as well as space (music takes up a lot of memory). It cannot hold, nor can it run, more than it does. Having more tracks buried in the code, compressed, would mean jack shit. So what are you going to unlock? Music you can't use? Music the game can't hold or play?

Take this game, compare it to the N64 or even Melee. Just how much are you missing? I'm going to bet nothing, and in fact the 3DS has more content than either of those, by a sizable margin. The problem is you're trying to, now, compared a recent console system release to a handheld.

I'm still impressed with how much they've managed to fit into this game. 

I mean, it's a fully functional Smash Bros in my pocket that's very fun to play. I don't think I expected the 3DS version to have the amount of content Brawl had. My main worry was that the gameplay wouldn't be good, but so far I'm very satisfied on that front.

prayformojo said:
I3LuEI3omI3eR said:

I still feel they're little things missing in order for it to be a CLASSIC! This is referring to the Wii U version as well.

I really miss some of the old Retro stages from the old Smashes (N64 Dreamland, Pokémon Falls, Fourside, Mushroom Kingdom II or Subcon, all from Melee).

Also the character selection, don't get me wrong its great, but I feel they should definitely add just a few more from past Smashes as well (Mewtwo, Ice Climbers, Star Wolf, and Snake come to mind).

Also I hear people want Story Mode again (which in god's name don't understand WHY!). I think this mode is what turned me away from Brawl. To each their own, I guess.

And finally the online mode. There needs to be an option to control the time limits, stocks, and items. I still don't understand why Nintendo can't do something about the Online mode being more user friendly and players having more control over it. This also turned me away from Brawl, BIG TIME! Why does Nintendo have to control how long I can fight with random players, choose the stage for us, and decide whether or not I want to Smash with items and STILL want it to count or not?

Hopefully, they will add many of these features in DLC or Patch.

Thoughts or your own ways to make Smash more memorable?

I planned on getting it for Wii-U and still might but after playing the demo on the 3DS, I might just stick to Melee instead. It kinda feels Maddenish to me (I skipped Brawl all together) in that it doesn't really feel like it's improved since the Gamecube version. The jump from the N64 to Gamecube was HUGE. Everything from graphics to music to gameplay, all improved and all leaps and bounds better. This version? It feels like a step back in alot of ways from Melee. 

First remember that it's a HANDHELD version of the game, It's not a console version.

That being said, I feel the exact opposite. I haven't had this much fun playing a Smash game since Melee on the GC. Of course the Graphics and the controls are gimped... ITS A HANDHELD VERSION of the game!! But I never played a fighter as addicting as this one for a Handheld, and I've played plenty fighters. The music and stages are epic (especially the Boxing Ring, Arena Ferox, Wily Castle, GB Dreamland, Mushroom Kingdom, man I could go on). Besides, you are basing this off of a DEMO. There is literally TONS of content missing from the Demo. But remember keep this in Mind, this should be the CASUAL VERSION of the game and the Wii U version is for the HARDCORE gamers!

3DS version is terrible. Inferior in every aspect to the Wii U version. A waste of money. Wait to play the Wii U version before voicing concerns.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

BraveNewWorld said:
3DS version is terrible. Inferior in every aspect to the Wii U version. A waste of money. Wait to play the Wii U version before voicing concerns.

Didn't say all of this either, but to each their own...

I3LuEI3omI3eR said:
BraveNewWorld said:

Didn't say all of this either, but to each their own...

I have to admit I'm actually quite impressed with the game.  It's a handheld system, so i wouldn't expect something with the depth of a console game. The most important part to me is the gameplay, and they pretty much nailed it, considering their limitations. 

I thought my expectations were extremely high considering the hundreds upon hundreds of hours I've sunk into Brawl, and I am still impressed by the 3DS version from my 2 days with it. 

Now, I'm sure the Wii U version will be even better, because Smash Bros' home is the [home] console. Nonetheless I wouldn't mind an elaboration as to why you think the 3DS version is terrible.