By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Destiny (PS4) outsells Mario Kart 8 in less then 2 weeks.

I don't see how this is surprising or indicative of anything. I imagine a fairly large number of people here know how much was spent on the advertisement of this game, and that the PS4 version was the specific version that was being most heavily advertised. It's pretty clear why the game has those kinds of sales. It would, in fact, be sad if Destiny didn't do numbers like this because otherwise they wouldn't be able to make a profit.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
Congrats to Destiny, but it's obvious that MK8 will have better legs.

Mario Kart 8 is just barely outselling watch dogs weekly and watch dogs is a good 400k units ahead in total sales. If watch dogs can hold off MK8 what makes you think Destiny which is bigger can't? 

Yeah but holiday MK8>Watchdogs and importantly MK8>>>Watchdgs for 2015 and beyond

tbone51 said:
Kerotan said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
Congrats to Destiny, but it's obvious that MK8 will have better legs.

Mario Kart 8 is just barely outselling watch dogs weekly and watch dogs is a good 400k units ahead in total sales. If watch dogs can hold off MK8 what makes you think Destiny which is bigger can't? 

Yeah but holiday MK8>Watchdogs and importantly MK8>>>Watchdgs for 2015 and beyond

you never know. it has 400k to catch up and if the PS4's sales stay vastly superior to the Wii U it could overtake it weekly. It's held it off with ease so far. 

chakkra said:

You know..  while that statement is true, that is a phenomenon that doesn't seem to be happening with the Wii U titles.

I just took the time to compare a few games taking into consideration the time they have been on the market and the place they are on this weeks chart (it is sad that I have nothing better to do on a Friday night but what the hell) anyway, it looks like the install base is affecting the Wii U games (people need to have the machines first in order to play the games after all)

Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
Nintendo, Racing
26,404 2,672,546 17
Watch Dogs (PS4)
Ubisoft, Action
24,887 3,057,455 17
Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
Take-Two Interactive, Action
26,077 18,554,774 53
Call of Duty: Ghosts (PS4)
Activision, Shooter
16,545 2,666,174 45
Super Mario 3D World (WiiU)
Nintendo, Platform
Pro N/A 44

It is worth noting that other games like Pikmin, DKTF, Zelda WW, Lego City etc, are nowhere to be found in the chart.

I think people should stop using Wii's sales as a standard for how Wii U games will sell. They're in two completely different situations. Noone seems to understand that Wii games had legs because the Wii actually sold well.

it's great to see new games like Watchdogs and Destiny having success, good for gaming overall :)

in 2 weeks... you make it seem like Mario Kart 8 is selling terribly, where Mario Kart 8 is a game that will be selling all throughout WiiU's lifetime, so it will catch up probably, not to mention that WiiU is selling nowhere like the Ps4

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:

I think people should stop using Wii's sales as a standard for how Wii U games will sell. They're in two completely different situations. Noone seems to understand that Wii games had legs because the Wii actually sold well.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

dark_gh0st_b0y said:
it's great to see new games like Watchdogs and Destiny having success, good for gaming overall :)

in 2 weeks... you make it seem like Mario Kart 8 is selling terribly, where Mario Kart 8 is a game that will be selling all throughout WiiU's lifetime, so it will catch up probably, not to mention that WiiU is selling nowhere like the Ps4

you never took into consideration the fact the Wii U's lifetime will more than likely be far less than the PS4's and given it came out a year earlier it might not be around more than another 2-3  years. 

Look at PS3 games like Assasins creed, resistance fall of man, motorstorm, cod4. All out in PS3's first year but were still selling 5-6 years later. Once they get sequels the original will probably keep trodding along considering it's where it all began. 

What's sad is that in two weeks I've pretty much given up on "Destiny" and yet "MK8" is still on the daily roster after many months. I have been playing more "Halo" since giving "Destiny" and honest shot, if that's any consolation.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

naruball said:
KLAMarine said:
bubblegamer said:

I did. MC is not how you tell which game is better. People vote with their wallets.

So a game that is purchased more is a better game than a game that is not purchased as much? Okay...

Many people didn't like The Last of US and there is nothing wrong with that.

"Many" is a very vague term. The game sold something like 7 million copies so even if 200,000 or 1,000,000 people(most would consider that number 'many') disliked the game, it is still in the vast minority. I'm not saying 100% of people loved the game, just that the word 'many' has a very vague implication. I'm sure there are people out there who disliked(or didn't care for) MK8, Gears of war, Halo 3/4, Mario Galaxy, Uncharted, GT5, Forza 5 etc but the general consensus is that the majority of people who played them, did like them.

KLAMarine said:
huiii said:
Why are people so appalled that someone could find another game better than something with mario in it's title?

It stinks of Nintendo elitism in this thread.

Or maybe it's a dislike of Destiny?

Maby. It just seems to go in line with the rethoric of nintendo makes the best games we don't need any other games they suck anyway (and don't you dare say otherwise).

I'm not saying that every Nintendo gamer does that but it's something i've noticed.

Also i'm willing to bet that at least half the people that jumped on Ka-pi's statement haven't even touched a copy of destiny, so i don't get what there is to hate for them. I mean i don't like cod either, doesn't mean i need to trash talk it every time it outsells a game i like (which is like every time).