By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Destiny (PS4) outsells Mario Kart 8 in less then 2 weeks.

tbone51 said:
Fusioncode said:
exdeath said:
An over hyped Craptivision funded casual mainstream dude bro Call of Gears of Halo type online shooter selling more that a good niche VIDEO GAME call me shocked.

First time I've heard someone call Mario Kart niche

It is to non nintendo fans :0

NOT TRUE! Few of my friends actually own Nintendo systems but they all love mario kart when they get a chance to play it. I means theres a reason why the last one sold 35m.

Around the Network
bubblegamer said:
spemanig said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Makes sense for a better game to sell more

Destiny is barely even a good game, let alone a better game than Mario Kart 8.

I dunno. Destiny may not be a great game, but it's certainly better than MK8. Most gamers don't even like Mario.

Walk before you run dude. At least half of gamers like Mario. It's just this site happens to be filled with gamers who think the exact same shooters that are released every year are good. Don't say oh well Mario does the same thing. Well, CoD4-Ghosts was basically the sme game. Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy were very different. Galaxy and 3D World are very different. Yes Mario is over used, but a lot of people like Mario.

huiii said:
Why are people so appalled that someone could find another game better than something with mario in it's title?

It stinks of Nintendo elitism in this thread.

Or maybe it's a dislike of Destiny?

DD_Bwest said:

its a video game.  it doesnt need to be 100% accurate.  They provided a way in the story that it works, there are many other small things that dont actually make sense, but thats gaming.   People dont seem to have a with a wolverine(xmen) type response to gunshot wounds.

If we want to get technical, we can start bitching about bill giving joel a hose to syphon fuel, "you'd be surprised at how many cars still got gas in them" ..   gas degrades over time in a number of ways.  those cars have been sitting there YEARS, potentially 20..  

I'm just letting you know that that whole sequence of events really stood out for me. It's a story about survival (it's in the title of the game: The Last of Us), it shouldn't gloss over how a certain portion of the survival aspect works out.

As for the gas thing, you're right, that was silly too it just never really stood out for me as much as Joel getting impaled and then getting patched up via time-skip.

bobfulci said:
Ka-pi96 said:
bobfulci said:
Ka-pi96 said:

The PS4 version. But who knows? I am a fan of both Sony and Nintendo but I definitely see what Nintendo means when they refer to some of their big titles as "evergreens." They just keep growing and growing, albeit slowly sometimes.

Don't all games technically do that though?

Some games do but it seems like Nintendo titles have a stronger-than-usual ability to keep selling in good numbers long after the initial release date

You know..  while that statement is true, that is a phenomenon that doesn't seem to be happening with the Wii U titles.

I just took the time to compare a few games taking into consideration the time they have been on the market and the place they are on this weeks chart (it is sad that I have nothing better to do on a Friday night but what the hell) anyway, it looks like the install base is affecting the Wii U games (people need to have the machines first in order to play the games after all)

Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
Nintendo, Racing
26,404 2,672,546 17
Watch Dogs (PS4)
Ubisoft, Action
24,887 3,057,455 17
Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
Take-Two Interactive, Action
26,077 18,554,774 53
Call of Duty: Ghosts (PS4)
Activision, Shooter
16,545 2,666,174 45
Super Mario 3D World (WiiU)
Nintendo, Platform
Pro N/A 44

It is worth noting that other games like Pikmin, DKTF, Zelda WW, Lego City etc, are nowhere to be found in the chart.

Around the Network

Congrats to Destiny, but it's obvious that MK8 will have better legs.

TheGoldenBoy said:

Mario Kart 8 is just barely outselling watch dogs weekly and watch dogs is a good 400k units ahead in total sales. If watch dogs can hold off MK8 what makes you think Destiny which is bigger can't? 

chakkra said:
bobfulci said:
Ka-pi96 said:
bobfulci said:
Ka-pi96 said:

The PS4 version. But who knows? I am a fan of both Sony and Nintendo but I definitely see what Nintendo means when they refer to some of their big titles as "evergreens." They just keep growing and growing, albeit slowly sometimes.

Don't all games technically do that though?

Some games do but it seems like Nintendo titles have a stronger-than-usual ability to keep selling in good numbers long after the initial release date

You know..  while that statement is true, that is a phenomenon that doesn't seem to be happening with the Wii U titles.

I just took the time to compare a few games taking into consideration the time they have been on the market and the place they are on this weeks chart (it is sad that I have nothing better to do on a Friday night but what the hell) anyway, it looks like the install base is affecting the Wii U games (people need to have the machines first in order to play the games after all)

Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
Nintendo, Racing
26,404 2,672,546 17
Watch Dogs (PS4)
Ubisoft, Action
24,887 3,057,455 17
Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
Take-Two Interactive, Action
26,077 18,554,774 53
Call of Duty: Ghosts (PS4)
Activision, Shooter
16,545 2,666,174 45
Super Mario 3D World (WiiU)
Nintendo, Platform
Pro N/A 44

It is worth noting that other games like Pikmin, DKTF, Zelda WW, Lego City etc, are nowhere to be found in the chart.

The PS4 has suprprised me with the legs some of it's titles are having. Software sales will be out of this world for 2015 as a whole. 

EDIT: And the amazing thing is for this holiday until at least holiday 2015 the PS3 will be doing pretty big software sales on top of it. Isn't it ahead of the PS4 atm and might stay that way for another year at least? 

Did you honestly expect something different? Destiny is THE most overhyped game of all time, bar none, and it just so happens that the lead platform its featured on is also the current gen sales leader.

MK8 will get a decent boost around the holidays and maybe into Q1 '15 if SSBU moves some consoles, but that's it... it's no Mario Kart Wii, and won't have anywhere near the legs that game did.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Kerotan said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

Mario Kart 8 is just barely outselling watch dogs weekly and watch dogs is a good 400k units ahead in total sales. If watch dogs can hold off MK8 what makes you think Destiny which is bigger can't? 

More games on PS4 to choose from, whereas MK is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. Destiny's sales are going to be more frontloaded.

Also Watch Dogs released at a time when there weren't any majors games releasing. Destiny just released before a big holiday season.