By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Pachter: Microsoft is preparing for life after Xbox

Well normally I would celebrate the end of Xbox but Pachter saying this literally means nothing. This guy is so far off the mark most of the time I can't figure out how he still gets paid.

Around the Network

Who pays this guy exactly?

Madword said:
Consoles are not going anywhere as long as they are as nicely designed as the PS4 :)

More like... as long as they continue to break sales records and right now, both Xbox One and PS4 are shattering previous sell through rates. When you see PS4 and Xbox One blowing away PS3 and Xbox 360, then you would be stupid to assume the console market is dying. How can it be dying... while growing? lol

I certainly think Microsoft is futureproofing their gaming division. Xbox, PCs, and Windows Phone all run on essentially the same operating system. The hardware architecture of Xbox is very similar to that of PCs. Now Microsoft is porting several of their Xbox exclusives to PC.

However, Pachter basically agreeing with me makes me second guess that conclusion. Statements like "your phone will be powerful enough to power any game" sound pretty silly and have some problems.

I don't think Xbox is going away, it's a strong brand. And that's all it will be in a few years, a brand.

Pachter makes another complete nonsense prediction that will never happen. How is he still involved in anything video game related? Muhahahaha.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
It seems Pachter just likes to repeat the same things over and over even after he's been proven wrong before. He gave a similar "consoles are doomed" spiel back in 2009, saying, and I quote, "I think we've seen the last generation of consoles. ... [Third party publishers] are not going to support a PS4 or Xbox 720. The content is not going to change in any meaningful ways because the publishers can't afford it." Well, it seems like reality is once again going the complete opposite direction of a Pachter prediction. The PS4 alone proves that there is still massive amounts of demand for new consoles and for the "AAA" experience. And I also think disc-based systems are here to stay. Because of the massive size of newer games (hello, looming bandwidth cap), sub-standard internet infrastructure (in the U.S., at least), lack of demand (console gamers still prefer physical over digital by an obscenely wide margin), and other potential obstacles, a digital-only system or some streaming set-top device like what Pachter imagines will probably be a market failure. Digital-only might work with PCs (and even it is still not 100% all-digital yet), but consoles are a different beast altogether.

While I do think consoles are here to stay for the long run, the Big Three may end up becoming the Big Two before too long. At this point it seems like Xbox is kind of a third wheel, existing to siphon market share away from Sony in the U.S. and UK (the only markets Xbox is relevant in anymore). Even with a $50 price advantage, it appears that the XBO cannot outsell the PS4 in the U.S. outside of the holidays. If this keeps up, I feel that MS's investors will keep putting pressure on them to abandon game hardware after this generation. Unlike Sony and especially Nintendo, MS doesn't even really need Xbox anymore, and it'd probably be more profitable for them to go third-party, making games for PC and the other consoles. With no console to support, they wouldn't be in a position to be spending money on acquiring third-party games as exclusives and would have to develop more of their own IPs. While they've become heavily reliant on Halo, Gear, Forza, and Fable, they do have a lot of existing IPs at their disposal, especially the massive selection of franchises they obtained when they bought out Rare.

As for the loss of competition between hardware makers should Xbox go away, Nintendo and Sony alone could still be sufficient by themselves. Nintendo's de facto monopoly on gaming in the 80s didn't turn out too bad, after all, and the 16-bit era was dominated by just two systems yet was perhaps the most brutally competitive generation ever (seriously, if you lived through the 16-bit wars you'll understand; it made current console wars seem like a light skirmish in comparison). Even in the fifth generation it was effectively a two-console race, with the Saturn being reduced to a market share less than what the TurbroGrafx-16 enjoyed in the 16-bit era. We've kind of gotten used to things being a three-horse race over the course of the past 13+ years, but even with just two companies I doubt things will just go downhill from reduced competition. For example, if Sony gets it in their head that they can do what MS tried to do with the Xbox One, well, I think they'll get the same reaction from gamers, who will then just go over to Nintendo. Nintendo themselves dropped the ball back in the fifth generation by deciding to stick with cartridges when it was obvious that discs were the better overall choice at that point (significantly lower prices and greater data capacity), and Sony was there to pick up the ball and run with it, the disc-based PS1 snagging up the lion's share of third-party support and the system becoming the new dominant brand in console hardware.

This is exactly what I think and feel.

X360 was a major success for MS, as they realized a 200%+ growth over the generation. The only reason XOne even exists was because Mattrick and co. were able to convince Ballmer that it will continue on a growth trajectory, expecting to push over PS even more.

But now that their console business not only stopped growing, but is facing an inevitable decline (as even 70 million sold will still be a failure), there is simply no more reason to invest in a declining market segment. XOne will still be sold, but I expect MS's support for it to stop as soon as 2017, with third party keeping it afloat until discontinuation and withdrawal from hardware scene.

I think what he wanted to say was "Your phone will be powerful enough to play any game from 2 generations earlier"

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Xbox is here to stay then

good stuff!

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Lol XB is not going anywhere... For the gazillion time PS is not XB true competition in regard to MS segmentation... Apple/google/amazon living room product is their direct competition in the game of controlling the main entertainment spot in the house... If they don't want to end up a business only company they have absolutely zero alternative... They need to keep pushing on that market and the mobile/tablet one.
XB just happens to be a gaming console because it's a market MS has been involved in for decades on the PC side with direct X and MSGS
What patcher is saying is kind of true in that regard... Consoles are doomed, PC already took the hit, now you are left with mobile and tablettes plus media boxes under your TV...
MS understood that way back and took for ever to react, but what they are trying to do is unifying those device and while broadband game streaming is far off on a large enough scale a home cloud could be a major solution that would put MS back in control of a wide area of the house and the XB plays an essential role for that...
NAS, home networks and home cloud config are becoming more common even smart house, smart cars and all that internet of things they keep talking about...
Without a doubt one day you'll have a Virgil mainframe in your house monitoring and streaming to your surface tablet/ windows phone/XBox unity/ your fridge/ your car/ etc... And for that keeping a presence outside the office is essential...and until then you can already pave the way by interconnecting what already exist in many household, a PC, smartphones, tablets and set top box/gaming consoles....

I'll bet you both my balls that if MS doesn't decide to be a business only solution (which would be a major financial hit for the comp) XB is not going anywhere on the contrary you'll hear more and more about it from MS and a cross all platforms and devices living room set top box included...

Captain_Yuri said:
"I mean, your phone will be powerful enough to power any game in two more generations. And, so, why buy a console?"

Oh Pachter... How are you still part of this industry?

the industry needs comedy you know.