By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Pachter: Microsoft is preparing for life after Xbox

gergroy said:
Madword said:
Consoles are not going anywhere as long as they are as nicely designed as the PS4 :)

nah, they will go away once worldwide broadband connections get up to snuff.  

Except if resolution keeps growing as fast as bandwith. In which case cloud gaming would stay low quality or only for a few people with god tier bandwith.

Around the Network

Console gaming is here to stay. For one, no phone or tablet will be able to compete with them because of the size of the components and, more importantly, the power draw they require. There's also the fact that phones and tablets aren't anywhere near being able playing something like Uncharted 4 with its impressive graphics, while also running at 1080p and a solid 30/60 fps. What are they going to do when the newest TVs and the PS5 are outputting at 4K?

I just find it interesting that some can look at the PS4 doing so well, but just because their console of choice is doing poorly, "yep, console gaming is dead." No, this gen is just going to return to the more normal numbers of Gen 6, when we didn't have a ton of casuals being brought in by the Wii. Was console gaming dying then? Nope.

RenCutypoison said:
gergroy said:
Madword said:
Consoles are not going anywhere as long as they are as nicely designed as the PS4 :)

nah, they will go away once worldwide broadband connections get up to snuff.  

Except if resolution keeps growing as fast as bandwith. In which case cloud gaming would stay low quality or only for a few people with god tier bandwith.

Resolution is already about at the max the human eye can discern.  There won't be much use for excessive ulgrades to the resolution unless people start buying tv's that are bigger than their houses...

Of course, doesnt mean there wont be some new technology that will make streaming difficult like you say.  Maybe a more advanced form of 3d or something like that.  Still, as it is today, it seems like both Sony a d Microsoft are preparing for cloud services in the future.  Still a ways off though...

HyrulianScrolls said:

I rememeber thinking back when Wii came out how perfect it would be if Nintendo focused on VR as their next gaming advance, since I knew even back then we were eventually headed there. But I think the Virtual Boy disaster scared them out of attempting anything there again, and now they're going to be beaten to the punch for mainstream VR it looks like. Huge missed opportunity for them imo, would have been a perfect marriage.

The Virtual Boy definitely left a scar, no doubt. I think the budget issues would have prevented it in the end though. Nintendo wouldn't have wanted to spend whatever it cost and is costing Oculus. Ever since Iwata took over, the company has operated with a budget first mentality.

Patch is a scuzzball but anyone that doesn't see that consoles will go away in the developed world in the next 10 years is either blind or unaware of technology trends.

In a world of integrated ecosystems, the extra box for console gaming just won't be necessary. Consoles are just dead weight that cost the user to purchase and make little to no money for the manufacturer. It may not be smartphones but as soon as there is a viable method to bypass the console and offer AAA gaming experience without one, consoles are done. Be it smartphones, tablets, TVs that offer streaming or whatever...

We will always have retro consoles made by Retron though, that run SNES, NES, and Gensis games.

Around the Network

yeah, theyre going to kill the xbox because "the future isnt consoles" and not because "it's settling like crap"

Consoles won't go away as long as we keep buying them.

It is funny, I was just watching a stream 'GAME24' and they showed a tablet especially made for professional gaming. They stream from a convention where they showed something new from NVidea and you saw a lot of gamers playing on tablets..(testing it out I guess)..

It's interesting to note that electronic gaming, that quaint hobby of the late twentieth century and early twenty-first, has nearly run out of steam. Instead, we should look forward to a grand revival of model building, stamp collecting and miniature golf.

thismeintiel said:
Console gaming is here to stay. For one, no phone or tablet will be able to compete with them because of the size of the components and, more importantly, the power draw they require. There's also the fact that phones and tablets aren't anywhere near being able playing something like Uncharted 4 with its impressive graphics, while also running at 1080p and a solid 30/60 fps. What are they going to do when the newest TVs and the PS5 are outputting at 4K?

I just find it interesting that some can look at the PS4 doing so well, but just because their console of choice is doing poorly, "yep, console gaming is dead." No, this gen is just going to return to the more normal numbers of Gen 6, when we didn't have a ton of casuals being brought in by the Wii. Was console gaming dying then? Nope.

I remember a lot of people saying ps4 and consoles are dead because wii u was doing bad

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m