By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Pachter: Microsoft is preparing for life after Xbox

Tachikoma said:

"mobile gaming isnt real gaming"
Get the f@$k out of herewith that nonsense, gaming is gaming.

If more people move towards mobile for their gaming fix, then its only freaking logical that somewhere down the line it will impact the standard console market.

I still think its different, gaming needs buttons for me

Around the Network

GamechaserBE said:

Where did I said that?

Hardware wise they could port it easy like it is on the Xbox 360.

--> You didn't directly, but you are sure they could do it. So why they do not, if it could be easily done? (Parity)

GamechaserBE said:
-  Smartphone/mobile gaming does not hurt consoles!

--> Yes, I know but it's only Japan. Not the bigest market on consoles and not the most representative one. Japan has always been "different".

GamechaserBE said:
-  Sorry but their are no interesting games on smartphones/mobiles...

Don't bother about the complaints of other, for me mobile gaming does not equal console gaming in terms of graphic quality, gameplay (control) and the "mood".

I play on both platforms (consoles/mobile) but different kind of games and this is just my opinion/observation. :))

Ruler said:

And in 2 generations consoles will be even more powerfull than smartphones, consoles will be here to stay. You buy a new console to play good graphics with high budget AAA experiences every 5 years just like you buy a new grapicscard every 5 to 6 years. Buying a smartphone automaticly buys you the small formfactor and touch display, consoles can be as large as possible and way cheaper for the performance they offfer. 400 bucks ps4 beats every abdroid device outthere and is cheaper.

The strongest apple tablet is a hell lot weaker than the ps4 and costs what? 700€?

Console generations are every 5-10 years. mobile generations are every 12-18 months at the moment. mobiles have increased in power 50 fold in 5 years and they are on trajectory to continue that rate at least for the next few generations of chips. Also the strongest apple offering is significantly less powerful than any of the top end mobile chipsets. mobiles "should" surpass console performance before the end of this generaiton at current rate. that makes it very interesting for the next round of consoles. The question will be on the next round whether a console is just another small device/mobile/handheld device that also acts as a console or remain a completely seperate device. regardless console gaming is set for some major changes.

nanarchy said:
Ruler said:

And in 2 generations consoles will be even more powerfull than smartphones, consoles will be here to stay. You buy a new console to play good graphics with high budget AAA experiences every 5 years just like you buy a new grapicscard every 5 to 6 years. Buying a smartphone automaticly buys you the small formfactor and touch display, consoles can be as large as possible and way cheaper for the performance they offfer. 400 bucks ps4 beats every abdroid device outthere and is cheaper.

The strongest apple tablet is a hell lot weaker than the ps4 and costs what? 700€?

Console generations are every 5-10 years. mobile generations are every 12-18 months at the moment. mobiles have increased in power 50 fold in 5 years and they are on trajectory to continue that rate at least for the next few generations of chips. Also the strongest apple offering is significantly less powerful than any of the top end mobile chipsets. mobiles "should" surpass console performance before the end of this generaiton at current rate. that makes it very interesting for the next round of consoles. The question will be on the next round whether a console is just another small device/mobile/handheld device that also acts as a console or remain a completely seperate device. regardless console gaming is set for some major changes.

not true, snes 1990, ps1 1994,  ps2 2000, xbox 360 2005. The normal console circle is 5 years

There's still the issue of thermal transfer, which remains a barrier in processing performance.

I find it pretty remarkable that mobile devices powered by SoCs continue to make the leaps and bounds that they have shown since the original iPhone considering that all iOS devices are passively cooled without the aid of any fans, or even heat sinks.

By contrast, the PS4 and XBO use SoC, albeit with 8 cores and integrated GPUs that are functionally discrete GPUs, performance-wise, that require significant cooling solutions (traditional heat sinks, cooling pipes and CPU fans) and are dependent upon proper airflow to function reliably.

Both have 8 GB memory whereas Android devices top out at 2 GB, with the upcoming S6 rumored to have 3 GB. Texture memory is not something that can be overlooked when it comes to graphical ceilings in mobile devices.

At any rate, the gap continues to shrink, but I see "console gaming" becoming online streaming services via cloud processing before all consoles turn into mobile devices. At that point the internals of a mobile device will be in the mini-console that plugs into whatever HDTV is being used and processing the UI instructions from whatever controller is the standard. Mobile type games could be local content, but PC type games would be handled remotely and streamed.

Around the Network

I'm inclined to believe that MS is planning for a contingency in which it can incorporate the Xbox Division into its online services, Games for Windows and Windows Mobile without the need for consoles.

That's not to say there won't be an Xbox Two, Xbox One V2 or whatever they want to call it, but if developing and manufacturing boxes is no longer beneficial in terms of profitability, I don't think MS needs to keep diverting resources to hardware.

With all the predictions patcher gets right, he must be psychic.

old skool

Ruler said:
Tachikoma said:

"mobile gaming isnt real gaming"
Get the f@$k out of herewith that nonsense, gaming is gaming.

If more people move towards mobile for their gaming fix, then its only freaking logical that somewhere down the line it will impact the standard console market.

I still think its different, gaming needs buttons for me

Think all you want it's still gaming. It reminds me of people who hear music they don't like and say "that's not music". Also people who say the last of is isn't a game. Whenever people see something they don't like they do this sort of thing and it's just wrong each and every time.

Ruler said:
nanarchy said:

not true, snes 1990, ps1 1994,  ps2 2000, xbox 360 2005. The normal console circle is 5 years

you say not true then provide points that prove it is true? huh!

forth gen 1987

fifth gen 1993 (6 years)

sixth gen 1998 (5 years)

seventh gen 2005 (7 years)

eigth gen 2012 (7 years)

Shadow1980 said:
GamechaserBE said:

-  Smartphone/mobile gaming does not hurt consoles!

-Then you go into the Japan sales threads and you see people agree that Japanese smartphone/mobile gaming hurt consoles a lot in fact from less than 10% in 09-10 to around 50% of gaming market revenue in Japan is made by smart phone/mobile gaming..

Japan's console market was shrinking before smartphones were really a thing:

As you can see, total console sales declined by about the same rate from the fifth generation (where sales peaked) to the sixth generation as how they've declined from the sixth to the seventh. There's obviously something else going on here, as despite smartphones having taken off over the past 7-8 years it appears to have done nothing to accelerate the decline. Oddly enough, handheld sales in Japan seem to be relatively unaffected by the advent of smartphones despite smartphones being presumably more in direct competition with gaming handhelds than with home consoles. The 3DS has done remarkably well and is on track to pass the PSP already this year, and total handheld sales in 2011-2013 were far better than the average of the past 15 years in Japan. 2014 did see a YoY decline, but considering the large gap between the XL and the N3DS, it seems to be more of an organic decline in sales like every other system experiences without something to provide a longer-term stimulus (price cuts and new models being the biggest stimulators). It's also worth noting that the N3DS does appear to have stabilized 3DS sales in Japan.

If smartphones were really eating into sales of dedicating gaming hardware, then nobody told the sixth-gen consoles they were jumping the gun, nor did anybody tell the 3DS that it was supposed to pull a Vita-level drop from its predecessor.

You should compare 3DS+VITA to DS+PSP to see the impact that smartphones have had on gaming.