By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Pachter: Microsoft is preparing for life after Xbox

Porcupine_I said:
I think what he wanted to say was "Your phone will be powerful enough to play any game from 2 generations earlier"

phone CPU's and GPU's are increasing in performance at a pretty amazing rate still. next gen chips coming out are double the speed of previous gen http://hothardware.com/news/arms-cortex-A72-with-mali-t880-will-power-your-2016-flagship-smartphones . At current trajectors it really will only be another 2 generations of chips before they are equal to this gens consoles. I don't think consoles are going anywhere soon, but a lot of very interesting living room scenarios will become possible in the next couple of years.

Around the Network
nanarchy said:
Porcupine_I said:
I think what he wanted to say was "Your phone will be powerful enough to play any game from 2 generations earlier"

phone CPU's and GPU's are increasing in performance at a pretty amazing rate still. next gen chips coming out are double the speed of previous gen http://hothardware.com/news/arms-cortex-A72-with-mali-t880-will-power-your-2016-flagship-smartphones . At current trajectors it really will only be another 2 generations of chips before they are equal to this gens consoles. I don't think consoles are going anywhere soon, but a lot of very interesting living room scenarios will become possible in the next couple of years.

You realize that this is exactly what i said? 

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Porcupine_I said:
nanarchy said:

sorry I misread you then. I took it as you believing it would be from 2 generations of console earlier. basically in 2 years we should see phone chips equal to this gens consoles processing power.

Discless consoles? Seriously? The whole point of having a disc is to save some room from your hard drive. -_-

Smartphones might replace handheld consoles just like PC replaced home consoles...Oh wait... It didn't! :P

nanarchy said:
Porcupine_I said:

sorry I misread you then. I took it as you believing it would be from 2 generations of console earlier. basically in 2 years we should see phone chips equal to this gens consoles processing power.

Chips will be same power BUT performance of the games wont be as good. Optimisation my friend, it doesn't really happen to the same scale for smartphones as they are not 'dedicated' gaming hardware. And hardware dedicated for a task will outperform hardware that isn't. Which is why the PS3/360 could outperform a PC of the same spec. Because PC is designed to do many many more things other than gaming. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

Wow, 5 months to respond to a guy. I think he forgot about the discussion already.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
AZWification said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
"I mean, your phone will be powerful enough to power any game in two more generations. And, so, why buy a console?"

Oh Pachter... How are you still part of this industry?

I bet he doesn't know the answer to that question either!

Michael Pachter is still part of the industry because he predicted he will and should be fired by his bosses. So the bosses (like normal people) did the exact opposite of what Pachter said and kept him.

Good plan Pachter! Worked out very well.

nanarchy said:
Porcupine_I said:

So waht?

By this logic an iPhone 4, 5 and 6 (or equal Andrioid smartphones) have more processing power than the old PS3 and X360.

NOW show me the mobile games which are equivalent to console games like: TLOU, GTA V, Gears Of War, Forza Motorsport, Uncharted and so on on !

Should be not be a problem beaucse those smartphones have equal or even double power of the last-gen consoles ...

power is one thing, usage of the power (=GAMES) is the other.

And last but not least the HEAT (!) an smartphone would burn if it run a game like TLOU or Gears over several hours, it has no cooler nor fans to run at the max CPU/GPU power over a longer time.

@PATCHER:

the_dengle said:

I certainly think Microsoft is futureproofing their gaming division. Xbox, PCs, and Windows Phone all run on essentially the same operating system. The hardware architecture of Xbox is very similar to that of PCs. Now Microsoft is porting several of their Xbox exclusives to PC.

However, Pachter basically agreeing with me makes me second guess that conclusion. Statements like "your phone will be powerful enough to power any game" sound pretty silly and have some problems.

I don't think Xbox is going away, it's a strong brand. And that's all it will be in a few years, a brand.

I don't think you're that far off the mark, if at all.

JazzB1987 said:

Michael Pachter is still part of the industry because he predicted he will and should be fired by his bosses. So the bosses (like normal people) did the exact opposite of what Pachter said and kept him.

Good plan Pachter! Worked out very well.

I wouldn't mind if Pachter accidentally predicts that he won't be fired!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---