By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft's revolving definition of 'exclusive'

yvanjean said:

That would be like complaining about having to go online to watch netflix or check your e-mails. It's a much more accepted process on the PC. Microsoft failed to understand the customer backlash because in their mind DRM is not limiting customers purchase and forcing them to go online. DRM is the future of console. Console of tomorrow will be the size of apple TV and use cloud storage and processing. Xbox one was meant to be a transition to this near future.

90% of music is bought digitally now .... that's what will happen with video game.  How many people buy, resell and exchange their music now a day ??? 

Xbox one was meant to be the first console that required a internet connection. Doing so enable many features and service that could not be done before. Your Xbox life account would no longer be locked to your xbox one but would you could login which ever Xbox one you had access. Playing your library at friends and relatives.   

I was actually looking forward to this new DRM proposed by Microsoft and buying game digitally where most of the cost goes to the publisher and Microsoft rather than paying the 40-60% retail mark-up.

No.

DRM (Digital Rights Managment) is not the same thing as Digital Distribution.

The only thing DRM is the management of the licensing of digital software, it only exists to control the licensing of Digital Games.

If you were looking forward to DRM, you either don't understand what it is, or you just like having Microsoft tell you which games you are allowed to play.

This is the main reason for the backlash.

DRM is to Digital games as License Plates are to Cars.

Requirement of an Always Online console, is a failure even from the logicstical standpoint. 

Its a blunder plain and simple, and it can't be defended rationally.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Burek said:
Pffft.... They still got nothing on Sony...
The Last Guardian is so exclusive exclusive, it's not coming out on Playstation consoles either...

I think LTG is exclusive exclusive exclusive since it is trully exclusively on deving area and no system at all. At least Sunset will release in one system.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

jnemesh said:
platformmaster918 said:
Danman27 said:
when sony calls something exclusive, it's actually an exclusive.

"only on Playstation" is a nice way of not deceiving your customers because it's actually true

I think they should just start saying "not on the other guy's console" :)

That would fit for the Indies collection on PS4... or for the timed exclusives "Not on other guy's console this summer/holiday/etc"... or in the destiny case "Market only on Sony system (unless the other guy cry out).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
yvanjean said:

That would be like complaining about having to go online to watch netflix or check your e-mails. It's a much more accepted process on the PC. Microsoft failed to understand the customer backlash because in their mind DRM is not limiting customers purchase and forcing them to go online. DRM is the future of console. Console of tomorrow will be the size of apple TV and use cloud storage and processing. Xbox one was meant to be a transition to this near future.

90% of music is bought digitally now .... that's what will happen with video game.  How many people buy, resell and exchange their music now a day ??? 

Xbox one was meant to be the first console that required a internet connection. Doing so enable many features and service that could not be done before. Your Xbox life account would no longer be locked to your xbox one but would you could login which ever Xbox one you had access. Playing your library at friends and relatives.   

I was actually looking forward to this new DRM proposed by Microsoft and buying game digitally where most of the cost goes to the publisher and Microsoft rather than paying the 40-60% retail mark-up.

No.

DRM (Digital Rights Managment) is not the same thing as Digital Distribution.

The only thing DRM is the management of the licensing of digital software, it only exists to control the licensing of Digital Games.

If you were looking forward to DRM, you either don't understand what it is, or you just like having Microsoft tell you which games you are allowed to play.

This is the main reason for the backlash.

DRM is to Digital games as License Plates are to Cars.

Requirement of an Always Online console, is a failure even from the logicstical standpoint. 

Its a blunder plain and simple, and it can't be defended rationally.

And now... Playing pyshical media singleplayer online (just for the checkout) is the same as needing internet to watch netflix... totally explain why everybody liked always online DRM and hate Netflix.

jnemesh said:
The good news is that they won't be using the term very often. The larger the gap between them and the competition, the more money they will have to fork over to publishers for even timed exclusives.

That isn't necessarily how it works.

When companies buy an exclusive they're buying the risks. Not just potential sales.

Also, both Sony and MS get exclusives when they're willing to fund the development of a game. Hence, funding the risk.

The only way PS4 could have got Sunset Overdrive or Quantum Break is if Sony funded them or if a 3rd party brought them to PS4. Hence, games still need to be funded and that's how exclusives are often acquired.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

daredevil.shark, The_Sony_Girl would probably thanking you for exposing there wrongs of the XBox. Not that I agree, of course.

The whole concept of a "timed exclusive" is total BS IMO. If you want exclusivity so you can sell consoles, get all the way through the door and make it totally exclusive. Don't just put your foot in the doorway with timed exclusives, that's extremely stupid.

NNID: TheCCluc

Things change though.

As long as it is currently planned as an 'exclusive' exclusive, a game could be sold tomorrow on all platforms.

They could then cover their bases because at the time that the "'exclusive' exclusive" statement was made, it truly was.

Perhaps we need a more solidly define "permanent", 'exclusive' exclusive

Mr Puggsly said:
jnemesh said:
The good news is that they won't be using the term very often. The larger the gap between them and the competition, the more money they will have to fork over to publishers for even timed exclusives.

That isn't necessarily how it works.

When companies buy an exclusive they're buying the risks. Not just potential sales.

Also, both Sony and MS get exclusives when they're willing to fund the development of a game. Hence, funding the risk.

The only way Sony could have got Sunset Overdrive or Quantum Break is if they funded them or if a 3rd party bought it to PS4. The PS4's larger userbase wouldn't have single handedly acquired them.

I agree with this

It is near the end of the end....

jnemesh said:
platformmaster918 said:
Danman27 said:
when sony calls something exclusive, it's actually an exclusive.

"only on Playstation" is a nice way of not deceiving your customers because it's actually true

I think they should just start saying "not on the other guy's console" :)

lol that would be great

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers