By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft's revolving definition of 'exclusive'

yvanjean said:
platformmaster918 said:

and I've already sold back BF4 and AC4 for $40 each this gen.  That's $80 that I put towards Destiny PS4 LE which I wouldn't have had had it been for DRM.  Thank God Sony listened to their customers and forced MS's hand.

I agree that digital games are over price right now when compare to a retail copy. The true digital market place haven't really started since retail is dictating the price of video games. The big three consoles are still fully reliant on retail to sell their consoles they can't just cut them out yet.

Digital game should sell for 60% of retail price ... Therefore I either buy discounted digital games or games that I know I am not going to resell like Diablo 3 and Mario kart 8... At least Nintendo brought in digital promotion ... If combine with with other promotion you can get a 20% saving. 

I normally pick up the Xbox live digital card when they go on special at target, you will save 10%.

but I don't wanna keep every game.  I want to play a lot and keep my absolute favorites.  What if I don't like a game and can't sell it back or the price is dictated by the console manufacturer?  Not a good thing and I think the system works fine the way it is.  You can afford to get up and change the disc lol.  Hell I still buy Blurays due to their superior quality over 1080p video downloads that will fill up my harddrive.  And the same thing even if it's a movie I love what if a collection hits?  I used to have separate GoW games then I bought the saga and I love steel books.  Why not keep the option of re-selling but also offer physical buys?  That way you would have to price lower digitally to compete which you should be able to do anyway since you're cutting out the middle man and eliminating manufacturing and shipping costs while keeping everyone's rights.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

You sir, win the internets for the day!  Best use of that clip in quite some time!

daredevil.shark said:

TBH I dislike Microsoft because they devalued console gaming. Except the online play they have done nothing for console gaming. They should have stayed in PC and became the equivalent of valve. They nearly destroyed console gaming with DRM. They have very little cash and capable studios (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125163689&postcount=7090) to make real exclusives. If they just stayed in PC it would be great for everyone.

Looks at ps4 controller. Looks at 360 controller. Notices similarities. Thinks about how they started this indie thing. I thanks how they didn't even get close to destroying console gaming since you have no real clue about how they were going to do it and since there was another option. Thinks about achievements 

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

when sony calls something exclusive, it's actually an exclusive.

Danman27 said:

"only on Playstation" is a nice way of not deceiving your customers because it's actually true

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
platformmaster918 said:
Danman27 said:

"only on Playstation" is a nice way of not deceiving your customers because it's actually true

I think they should just start saying "not on the other guy's console" :)

jnemesh said:
platformmaster918 said:
Danman27 said:

I think they should just start saying "not on the other guy's console" :)

"only on Playstation" = "exclusive exclusive"

Aura7541 said:
bevochan said:

In this article [quote]: Greenberg also assured that Sunset Overdrive won’t be coming to the PlayStation 4 by calling the title ‘Exclusive Exclusive!’

http://gamingbolt.com/microsoft-exec-explains-why-they-dont-post-xbox-one-npd-numbers-often-defends-lack-of-new-ips

The term 'exclusive' is changing.  When MS calls a game 'exclusive', I'm just never sure what that means...  timed exclusive vs console exclusive (and released on PC) vs maybe it's not really exclusive at all (i.e. Mass Effect 1). 

Now I know that 'exclusive exclusive' means that that the game is really a true exclusive.

And timed true exclusivity (e.g. Dead Rising 3 and Ryse)....

Still holding out for Dead Rising 3 on PS4... but don't hold out much hope for it, so expect that to be Console Exclusive, though as the OP states, it is getting confusing.

I would like to just know, is it coming out at some point or not. If not, thats fine I can reconcile with that, but yeah the confusing terminology generally seems to only confuse the userbase in the hope they will buy a console for a particular game. At the moment I dont trust the work Exclusive from either Sony or MS.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

platformmaster918 said:

but I don't wanna keep every game.  I want to play a lot and keep my absolute favorites.  What if I don't like a game and can't sell it back or the price is dictated by the console manufacturer?  Not a good thing and I think the system works fine the way it is.  You can afford to get up and change the disc lol.  Hell I still buy Blurays due to their superior quality over 1080p video downloads that will fill up my harddrive.  And the same thing even if it's a movie I love what if a collection hits?  I used to have separate GoW games then I bought the saga and I love steel books.  Why not keep the option of re-selling but also offer physical buys?  That way you would have to price lower digitally to compete which you should be able to do anyway since you're cutting out the middle man and eliminating manufacturing and shipping costs while keeping everyone's rights.

Nothing stopping you from deleting game you've completed... You can always re-downloaded in the future. Do you feel the same way about indie games or eshops game that you got screwed because you can't resell them ?? 

I don't know how you resell your game but I'm sure there some type of time investment, how much do you value your time ... If it take 1 hour in order to resell a game at $30-40. Your actual earning is $30-40 less how much your time is worth to you! Ii also never pay full retail price so I save on average 10-20% buying game digitally and I think this will get better in the future. Look at what happen to the music, book and movie industry after the move to digital. You can buy song for $1, ebook are a fraction of the cost , movies can be stream on netflix or rented on iTunes for $4.99.

the same thing would happen to video games once we step away from disc and retail. 

yvanjean said:
daredevil.shark said:
TBH I dislike Microsoft because they devalued console gaming. Except the online play they have done nothing for console gaming. They should have stayed in PC and became the equivalent of valve. They nearly destroyed console gaming with DRM. They have very little cash and capable studios (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125163689&postcount=7090) to made real exclusives. If they just stayed in PC it would be great for everyone.

DRM is something that will happen in the near future. Miicrosoft was too forward thinking and gamers not ready to embrace change. Every time I buy a video game now I wish there was a way I could make my disc turn into digital and not have to worry about switching disc. But, because of some dumb gamer backlash that probably went on and bought a PS4 regardless I can't enjoy the joy that would of been given to me with DRM. 

More than half my games are digital now, THanks EA Access and Have already install a External HD to my XBox one. I can't wait for the future disc free world. 

Just look what happen to music and movies.... it's only a matter of time that games join the party.

I think you're confused here.

DRM stands for Digital Rights Managment. The issue with what MS was planning was not because it was all digital, it was because the Digital Rights Management that came with it required your system to be Always Online for it to work. No Internet rendered your 500$ console into an expensive brick.

DRM is a necessity for Digital games, but since PC has been doing it for so long, they have made it more acceptable to consumers, low prices, offline DRM (like steam's), competion between GOG, Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc.

Monopolizing retail sales of full priced games that requires a persistent internet connection is a blantant ripoff, and cannot really be justified.

Not to mention, every retail game on the PS4 has a digital version, and its the same for the XB1 irc.

So no, DRM doesn't give you joy, and the justified backlash of MS's terrible blunder didn't only affect digital distrubution in a positive way.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank