By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft's revolving definition of 'exclusive'

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
yvanjean said:

That would be like complaining about having to go online to watch netflix or check your e-mails. It's a much more accepted process on the PC. Microsoft failed to understand the customer backlash because in their mind DRM is not limiting customers purchase and forcing them to go online. DRM is the future of console. Console of tomorrow will be the size of apple TV and use cloud storage and processing. Xbox one was meant to be a transition to this near future.

90% of music is bought digitally now .... that's what will happen with video game.  How many people buy, resell and exchange their music now a day ??? 

Xbox one was meant to be the first console that required a internet connection. Doing so enable many features and service that could not be done before. Your Xbox life account would no longer be locked to your xbox one but would you could login which ever Xbox one you had access. Playing your library at friends and relatives.   

I was actually looking forward to this new DRM proposed by Microsoft and buying game digitally where most of the cost goes to the publisher and Microsoft rather than paying the 40-60% retail mark-up.

No.

DRM (Digital Rights Managment) is not the same thing as Digital Distribution.

The only thing DRM is the management of the licensing of digital software, it only exists to control the licensing of Digital Games.

If you were looking forward to DRM, you either don't understand what it is, or you just like having Microsoft tell you which games you are allowed to play.

This is the main reason for the backlash.

DRM is to Digital games as License Plates are to Cars.

Requirement of an Always Online console, is a failure even from the logicstical standpoint. 

Its a blunder plain and simple, and it can't be defended rationally.

Resell and used game market is mainly hurting the developpers of software. I have no problem paying for great software. Like I said I'd rather a greater percentage of my money goes to the publisher. The only way to achieve this is with DRM. My PC is always online, most of my console have been always online since 2006. The Xbox one is not a portable device that access to internet is limited, it's meant to be part of entertainment hub and have access to the internet. DRM is pretty much what I do every time I log on to World of warcraft and no I have no problem with it.

Don Mattrick is a moron and Microsoft should of supported disc based game from the get go and slowly transition to a DRM policy. I think they should of offered digital game with DRM and requiring a always on policy in return customer get these games at a discount. While the retail disc copy can be resold, traded and played offline but would of sold for the same retail price we have now. 

By now most have used cloud storage well the next innovation is cloud processing, Cloud processing will greatly reduce the demand on the hardware and allow for graphical improvement over the year without having to upgrade the hardware. Cloud processing is only possible if the console is connected to the internet, require always online machine.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
Halo 5 coming exclusively exclusive on xbox one holiday 2015. Tomb Raider coming exclusive to xbox one holiday 2015. makes sense.

boy does microsoft love that word.

So Halo 5 is coming to Xbox One during the holiday season and Tomb Raider is coming to original Xbox on one unknown holiday?

yvanjean said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
yvanjean said:

That would be like complaining about having to go online to watch netflix or check your e-mails. It's a much more accepted process on the PC. Microsoft failed to understand the customer backlash because in their mind DRM is not limiting customers purchase and forcing them to go online. DRM is the future of console. Console of tomorrow will be the size of apple TV and use cloud storage and processing. Xbox one was meant to be a transition to this near future.

90% of music is bought digitally now .... that's what will happen with video game.  How many people buy, resell and exchange their music now a day ??? 

Xbox one was meant to be the first console that required a internet connection. Doing so enable many features and service that could not be done before. Your Xbox life account would no longer be locked to your xbox one but would you could login which ever Xbox one you had access. Playing your library at friends and relatives.   

I was actually looking forward to this new DRM proposed by Microsoft and buying game digitally where most of the cost goes to the publisher and Microsoft rather than paying the 40-60% retail mark-up.

No.

DRM (Digital Rights Managment) is not the same thing as Digital Distribution.

The only thing DRM is the management of the licensing of digital software, it only exists to control the licensing of Digital Games.

If you were looking forward to DRM, you either don't understand what it is, or you just like having Microsoft tell you which games you are allowed to play.

This is the main reason for the backlash.

DRM is to Digital games as License Plates are to Cars.

Requirement of an Always Online console, is a failure even from the logicstical standpoint. 

Its a blunder plain and simple, and it can't be defended rationally.

Resell and used game market is mainly hurting the developpers of software. I have no problem paying for great software. Like I said I'd rather a greater percentage of my money goes to the publisher. The only way to achieve this is with DRM. My PC is always online, most of my console have been always online since 2006. The Xbox one is not a portable device that access to internet is limited, it's meant to be part of entertainment hub and have access to the internet. DRM is pretty much what I do every time I log on to World of warcraft and no I have no problem with it.

Don Mattrick is a moron and Microsoft should of supported disc based game from the get go and slowly transition to a DRM policy. I think they should of offered digital game with DRM and requiring a always on policy in return customer get these games at a discount. While the retail disc copy can be resold, traded and played offline but would of sold for the same retail price we have now. 

By now most have used cloud storage well the next innovation is cloud processing, Cloud processing will greatly reduce the demand on the hardware and allow for graphical improvement over the year without having to upgrade the hardware. Cloud processing is only possible if the console is connected to the internet, require always online machine.

Or you know, don't buy consoles and game on PC.

And like I said, DRM is not the same as Digital, and there are different kinds of DRM.

PC gaming has been doing this for years, and when a company tries to do always on, like EA did with Simcity, they get an immedeate backlash. Why would it be any different for Microsoft and the XB1.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

yvanjean said:

1. Lol. Is that a joke? We have used game market since the start of gaming. It is develoeprs fault to balance budjet and expectation.

2. It is not illegal. By purchasing a retail copy you have the right to resell it (if it is mentioned). I guess you have never purchased used products like cars or other things in your life.

3. Witcher 2 or the last of us are perfect example of balancing budjet and expectations. If you want to put resident evil 6 or tomb raider 2013 for comparisons sake then I have nothing to say. "Inefficient develoepors" needs to go bankrupt for the sake of the industry.

daredevil.shark said:
yvanjean said:

1. Lol. Is that a joke? We have used game market since the start of gaming. It is develoeprs fault to balance budjet and expectation.

2. It is not illegal. By purchasing a retail copy you have the right to resell it (if it is mentioned). I guess you have never purchased used products like cars or other things in your life.

3. Witcher 2 or the last of us are perfect example of balancing budjet and expectations. If you want to put resident evil 6 or tomb raider 2013 for comparisons sake then I have nothing to say. "Inefficient develoepors" needs to go bankrupt for the sake of the industry.

i dont know where these guys are coming from but they are funny. Anyone who believes that an all digital console will have the same discounts as PC is living in a fantasy world. That is a closed system meaning they can charge whatever the hell they want and they know it, which is why MS tried to do that half ass nonsense they tried last year. Either you do things normally or you go all digital. IMHO an all digital will fail hard cause people will just game on PC. I think MS knows that which is why they didnt even go that far.

And lol to thats the future. I can still get books, cds and movie in physical format hell im getting Winter Solider just like that tommorow.

Around the Network

Actually, no, that's not how it works.  If you want a good example of a more public exclusivity deal, look at DirecTV's NFL Sunday Ticket deal.  The more cable subscribers there are (as well as customers on competing satellite systems), the more DirecTV has to pay the NFL for exclusivity.  Companies MOST DEFINITELY factor in potential sales when negotiating exclusivity contracts.

daredevil.shark said:

TBH I dislike Microsoft because they devalued console gaming. Except the online play they have done nothing for console gaming. They should have stayed in PC and became the equivalent of valve. They nearly destroyed console gaming with DRM. They have very little cash and capable studios (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125163689&postcount=7090) to make real exclusives. If they just stayed in PC it would be great for everyone.

Correct me if I am wrong but sony did exactly 0 things for gaming.  Even the now "dead" sega did more for gaming than Sony.

And NO making gaming mainstream is not a positive thing at all.  its a negative thing since games get worse (just look at movies, and music and everything that becomes mainstream)

Just remember, Sony started it.

1. Destiny announced as exclusive for PS4 in Japan.
2. MS announced Tomb Raider as exclusive for Xbox everywhere.
3. Arkham Knight about to become a timed exclusive in Japan for PS4.

Stop with the MS hate. Sony is doing the same stuff. Exclusive AC4 and Watch Dogs content. Exclusive alpha and longer beta for Destiny as well as year long content exclusivity. MS gets DLC a bit sooner for its games, no worries about exclusive content.

Sony is playing worse imo.

Sunset Overdrive is just one of those games that is trying to hard to be cool.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
oniyide said:

I dont know where these guys are coming from but they are funny. Anyone who believes that an all digital console will have the same discounts as PC is living in a fantasy world. That is a closed system meaning they can charge whatever the hell they want and they know it, which is why MS tried to do that half ass nonsense they tried last year. Either you do things normally or you go all digital. IMHO an all digital will fail hard cause people will just game on PC. I think MS knows that which is why they didnt even go that far.

And lol to thats the future. I can still get books, cds and movie in physical format hell im getting Winter Solider just like that tommorow.

In order for a digital console to occur the consoles will need competition in their market places. At the moment MS, Sony and Nintendo currently only have their own shops which fix prices for as long as they can (Titanfall is sill £55 on Xbone Store, £20 in shops). If retailers were allowed to set up their own competing stores from the Xbox Menu to compete then prices will come down and a digital only console could happen.

PC gaming is cheaper for a few reasons (lack of having to pay console commission is one) but also because good competition is in place to have great deals and offers as well as competative pricing for new titles. Console stores have none of this, it's RRP or nothing.

I got Winter Soldier last week, best Marvel movie made yet. I also bought 2 graphic novels recently, I'm never going to read those on a ipad or phone, the idea of that is laughable.

Hmm, pie.