By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft's revolving definition of 'exclusive'

bevochan said:
jnemesh said:
platformmaster918 said:
Danman27 said:
when sony calls something exclusive, it's actually an exclusive.

"only on Playstation" is a nice way of not deceiving your customers because it's actually true

I think they should just start saying "not on the other guy's console" :)

"only on Playstation" = "exclusive exclusive"

Exactly, when a game is a timed exclusive, it's called a timed exclusive. Microsoft has proven time and time again that their word can't be trusted. 

Around the Network

What's sad is Sunset Overdrive probably will see the light of day on PS4, eventually.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Xxain said:
daredevil.shark said:
TBH I dislike Microsoft because they devalued console gaming. Except the online play they have done nothing for console gaming. They should have stayed in PC and became the equivalent of valve. They nearly destroyed console gaming with DRM. They have very little cash and capable studios (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125163689&postcount=7090) to made real exclusives. If they just stayed in PC it would be great for everyone.

Wow. Your on a roll today ... for being wrong.

Why is it that DRM is associated with MS? Things like:

DLC

Day one patch

Broken launch games

DRM

Has been brought to us by the PC world when those developers jumped ship to consoles. 

That's not quite true. See, consoles are more closed than PC's. The console makers could have easily prevented all of this from happening. But they didn't and had Microsoft gotten their way, it would have been far worse.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Madword said:
Aura7541 said:

And timed true exclusivity (e.g. Dead Rising 3 and Ryse)....

Still holding out for Dead Rising 3 on PS4... but don't hold out much hope for it, so expect that to be Console Exclusive, though as the OP states, it is getting confusing.

I would like to just know, is it coming out at some point or not. If not, thats fine I can reconcile with that, but yeah the confusing terminology generally seems to only confuse the userbase in the hope they will buy a console for a particular game. At the moment I dont trust the work Exclusive from either Sony or MS.

Sony has been a lot more honest when they use the term. I will admit that they are pretty subtle and sneaky when they announce timed exclusives as they don't exactly call them that. Instead, they say "first on Playstation." MS, on the other hand, uses the term, exclusive, really loosely. Dead Rising 3 and Ryse weren't the only "exclusives" that went multiplat or downgraded to console exclusive. Ninja Gaiden, for example, was renamed Ninja Gaiden Sigma for the PS3. Alan Wake eventually came out on PC. Even Mass Effect 1, which was published by MS, eventually released for the PS3. It's because of this that I hold very little confidence about the exclusivity of Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive. QB could eventually go to PC. Sunset Overdrive could eventually go on PS4 as "Sunset Turbodrive" or whatever. Not saying that it'll definitely happen, but the probably is not zero nor near-zero.

Burek said:
Pffft.... They still got nothing on Sony...
The Last Guardian is so exclusive exclusive, it's not coming out on Playstation consoles either...

this was too good. well done sr.

i think everyone knows as long as insomniac owns the rights to the ip they can release it on the hell box if they want.

Around the Network
kinisking said:
daredevil.shark said:

TBH I dislike Microsoft because they devalued console gaming. Except the online play they have done nothing for console gaming. They should have stayed in PC and became the equivalent of valve. They nearly destroyed console gaming with DRM. They have very little cash and capable studios (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125163689&postcount=7090) to make real exclusives. If they just stayed in PC it would be great for everyone.

Looks at ps4 controller. Looks at 360 controller. Notices similarities. Thinks about how they started this indie thing. I thanks how they didn't even get close to destroying console gaming since you have no real clue about how they were going to do it and since there was another option. Thinks about achievements 

Original playstation 1 started indie gaming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_Yaroze

I usually don't believe titles are console/platform exclusive unless it's first party, so I never felt pressured to buy the hardware. All I gotta do is wait it out.

KhinRunite said:
I usually don't believe titles are console/platform exclusive unless it's first party, so I never felt pressured to buy the hardware. All I gotta do is wait it out.

also this

Exclusive to me = it's on Xbox
Exclusive exclusive = it's not on ps4
Exclusive exclusive exclusive = it's only available on xbox1

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

DialgaMarine said:
What's sad is Sunset Overdrive probably will see the light of day on PS4, eventually.

Like the sequel? Maybe.

It wouldn't be sad, MS would just lose some credibility. Just like some people would lose credibility if the original Titanfall gets ported to PS4.

Lets just remember not every 3rd party 360 game went to PS3.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)