By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Video Games Should Christians Play?

outlawauron said:
Teeqoz said:
That shouldn't matter, because all of those things are in the bible, yet the bible is okay right?

Joke post?

Why would it be a joke post? There is violence, nudity and cussing in the bible.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
fleischr said:

You ever play Fallout 3?  Relevant discussion point based on that concerning a major sequence in the storyline....

I don't remember anything all that controversial about Fallout 3, but it's been a few years since I last played it. I liked it since it had a karma system which allowed you to play a good character who helped others throughout the game. Of course you could play an evil character in the game, but you didn't have to do anything bad as far as I can recall. 

It's impossible to maintain good karma for 100% of the storyline. At a certain point, you'll have to be a bad person

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

naruball said:
spurgeonryan said:
Filling our heads with evil is not something good christians should do. IF You think Jesus would not do it, you should not do it.

Pretty sure Jesus wouldn't kill turtles for fun. Which means that you should feel bad playing Ninty games such as Mario, Spurge.

Picturing this made me throw up a laugh in my mouth

Reality

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

shikamaru317 said:

I'm personally a pretty devout Christian, I pray several times a day and I try to live my life by Jesus' example. I do however play most games that come out that I feel like playing. I believe that if your faith is strong enough, you can play games with violence, language, or sexual content without it really effecting you negatively. The only games that I tend to avoid are those which paint Christianity in a negative light such as Bioshock Infinite and a few others. Also those which have alot of demonic stuff in them, such as Diablo and a few others.

Can you truly test how strong your faith is if you lead a sheltered life, avoiding controversial things?

Also, I wish we got more well made Christian games. There was a really good looking one on Kickstarter about half a year ago, it just barely failed to reach it's goal, I was pretty disappointed.

Agreed with this totally.

Maybe some mobile games like Angry Birds, Tetris, Candy Crush, or Zynga Texas Hold'em poker for some safe bets?

Around the Network

Whatever games you enjoy. They're fiction. I do think for moral reasons people shouldn't buy games that promote bad values though. I'm not talking about shooting the bad guys or nudity or any of that stuff. I'm talking about games which glorify poor moral choices. Like a game that encouraged you to rape a character, for example, or other vile acts. At the same time, I don't think it's necessarily bad for a player to assume the role of a "villain" or run over pedestrians in GTA if their true moral heart feels they are just being silly and having fictitious fun.

Vincoletto said:
AZWification said:

OK, that was pretty funny I must admit!

Totally, laughed a lot here... I'm a very devoted christian, but totally dispprove this kind of "protest"

I'm also a Christian and I also think that this "protest" is just not necessary!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

E.V.O.: Search for Eden

Again, I chose not to support certain games, led by Holy Spirit in my choices.  

I rarely feel the need to respond to a hot pile of crazy like this, however, when you add "Holy Spirit" to any formation of human decision making you are delusional.  Flat out.  This is exactly the kind of stone age thinking that has f'ed the world up.  Stop bringing god into your life decisions and take personal responsibility, please.  If you have a system of beliefs and you understand those beliefs to the point where you think Sky WIzard is talking to you about your very important video game choices you have lost the plot, and failed to understand the entire esoteric point of faith.  

You are using a computer to write to strangers about video games... and you throw your faith into it?  Every single thing that you encounter or use in your daily life was created by humans, using science.  The computer isn't full of magic juice or mana or faith or luck, just good old fashion technology.  The same kind humans have been using the entire time we have enjoyed the Earth.  Which by the way, date back to the earliest fossils of anatomically modern humans from the Middle Paleolithic, about 200,000 years ago.

If you want guidance on video game choices and feel the need to seek a knowledge higher than yours I would suggest reading Thomas Hobbes' Leviathan, Immanuel Kant's The Metaphysics of Morals, John Stuart Mill's Utilitarianism, Emile Durkheim's The Division of Labor in Society, for starters.

Or you could stop being creepy and play video games like the estimated 1.2 billions other people on the planet.  Just use your f'ing head!  If you're smart enough to write this crazy post then you shoud be smart enough to un-crazy yourself.  Understand that video games are media, fiction, recercation, and represent the same diversity of ideas, art and possibilities that created the world you live in.

- Moderated, Carl

-end of line-

Ninsect said:
Reality

oh jesus, this made me laugh. Now I feel bad :P