By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Video Games Should Christians Play?

Enjoy you precious VG points spurg, I'm certain you only do this to collect them.

Around the Network

As long as you have common sense you can play any game that you like. If you don't like a game for whatever reason then don't play it, let the player decide if the game suits their values.

Depends how devoted you are, I guess. My mom is a really religious and wouldnt even let me play Pokemon because it had "evolution, animal abuse, and demonic power" in it. I had to convince her when I was 10 that it was ok :P took forever though XD

Dragon Age? I know a devoted Christian who loves it. 

Yep.

StarOcean said:
Depends how devoted you are, I guess. My mom is a really religious and wouldnt even let me play Pokemon because it had "evolution, animal abuse, and demonic power" in it. I had to convince her when I was 10 that it was ok :P took forever though XD

My neighbor was in the exact same situation except it was the anime. 

Yep.

Around the Network
naruball said:
spurgeonryan said:
Filling our heads with evil is not something good christians should do. IF You think Jesus would not do it, you should not do it.

Pretty sure Jesus wouldn't kill turtles for fun. Which means that you should feel bad playing Ninty games such as Mario, Spurge.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Rinzler said:

Again, I chose not to support certain games, led by Holy Spirit in my choices.  

I rarely feel the need to respond to a hot pile of crazy like this, however, when you add "Holy Spirit" to any formation of human decision making you are delusional.  Flat out.  This is exactly the kind of stone age thinking that has f'ed the world up.  Stop bringing god into your life decisions and take personal responsibility, please.  If you have a system of beliefs and you understand those beliefs to the point where you think Sky WIzard is talking to you about your very important video game choices you have lost the plot, and failed to understand the entire esoteric point of faith.  

You are using a computer to write to strangers about video games... and you throw your faith into it?  Every single thing that you encounter or use in your daily life was created by humans, using science.  The computer isn't full of magic juice or mana or faith or luck, just good old fashion technology.  The same kind humans have been using the entire time we have enjoyed the Earth.  Which by the way, date back to the earliest fossils of anatomically modern humans from the Middle Paleolithic, about 200,000 years ago.

If you want guidance on video game choices and feel the need to seek a knowledge higher than yours I would suggest reading Thomas Hobbes' Leviathan, Immanuel Kant's The Metaphysics of Morals, John Stuart Mill's Utilitarianism, Emile Durkheim's The Division of Labor in Society, for starters.

Or you could stop being creepy and play video games like the estimated 1.2 billions other people on the planet.  Just use your f'ing head!  If you're smart enough to write this crazy post then you shoud be smart enough to un-crazy yourself.  Understand that video games are media, fiction, recercation, and represent the same diversity of ideas, art and possibilities that created the world you live in.

I am all for a reasonable debate on religion and videogames, but this is a perfect example of how you dont do it.

People.

Keep it clean in here.

-

My answer would be something like Flower.

Teeqoz said:
outlawauron said:
Teeqoz said:
That shouldn't matter, because all of those things are in the bible, yet the bible is okay right?

Joke post?

Why would it be a joke post? There is violence, nudity and cussing in the bible.

And smiting.  Don't forget the smiting!

As a believer in Christ I too have had this on my mind throughout my gaming years. I just had a discussion with my wife about it before typing this. We both agree that there are videogames that are from the get go unwise for believers to play (because of the cursing, sexuality, and overall crudeness of the game) but there are others that are not inherently evil necesarrily. That being said, ANY video game can become an idol just like ANYTHING enjoyable or painful can become an idol. I've had my moments where I've gotten so obsessed with certain video games that I idolized them. Even to this day just THINKING about playing all the Paper Mario games again makes me so so happy. I have to fight the urge to idolize and adore the things I enjoy in life and simply enjoy them while ONLY adoring my Creator and Savior.

I am, however, a BIG advocate for online missionary work. I have spent many years professing Christ to people in online game/forum settings. I do not say this to boast myself up, but simply to point out that there are a LOT of people who can be reached through the internet.

Surprised no one has mentioned "El Shaddai" yet....