By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Interesting how the times have changed

DerNebel said:

But the PS fanbase seems to have stayed kinda static in time, pretty easily offended, very vocal, often very aggressive (and I'm not excluding myself here) and I'm wondering "Why?". Why don't we of the PS fanbase just calm down a bit now that our preferred system is very much at the top and is set to stay there?

there's one word to describe it and it has something to do with WW2.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
prinz_valium said:
Actions cause reactions

i bet without all the "wii u is dead" and "xbone suck" we wouldnt see that much "soonys ps4 has no gamez"
btw. the Folks in the Internet itself are way more agressive These days imho

Errrr you are new here... probably you haven't made the count... but there are far more threads against PS4 made by people that don't like it than threads about X1 or WiiU made by PS4 supporters... and what is even more strange is that the userbase here is like 70% pro Sonys, 20% pro Ninty and less than 10% pro MS (but these are the most vocal here)... there are some statistic threads here on this.

huh? im not talking about this forum only.

im not even talking about the last few days or weeks

im talking about this as a general cause.

i talk about the one year old wii u is dead and xbone suck actions, that are still in peoples mind.

and now there is finally some bad about the ps4 u can shout out.

and without the old hate against the two it would be less hate today against this one

riecsou said:
AZWification said:

I admit that I sometimes visit N4G and read the posts for a laugh...

I do the same.

People would come up with some crazy comments and that is from Sony, MS and Nintendo fans alike. 

Sure, but Sony fans are the most hilarious when it comes to N4g!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

DerNebel said:

I just thought back to the days when I was just a lowly lurker around here, back in 2008-2009 and I just found it interesting how certain fanbase attitudes and rivalries have changed over the years and especially now with the new gen.

For example there was this whole Wii60 thing back then, this allegiance of 360 and Wii owners against the greater evil, the PS3. Compare that to now that the the Wii U and X1 are in competition over second place, they are basically at each others throats and have largely stepped away from going against the PS4, when it comes to sales at least.

The Nintendo fanbase was a whole lot calmer back then, I mean why wouldn't they be? The Wii and DS where comfortably sitting at the top of the charts every week, what would people say? "Oh, it's for casual/kids/etc", pff ok great, it's still at the top.

But the PS fanbase seems to have stayed kinda static in time, pretty easily offended, very vocal, often very aggressive (and I'm not excluding myself here) and I'm wondering "Why?". Why don't we of the PS fanbase just calm down a bit now that our preferred system is very much at the top and is set to stay there?

So someone thinks the PS4 is shit or doesn't have any games or whatever? It's still at the top.

Someone says the PS4 isn't innovative and just a PS3.5? Still at the top.

Someone says the PS4 is only selling on hype? At the top.

And at the same time, we don't have to be in attack mode all the time, for example when there is a thread about the X1 and Wii U we don't have to jump out every time and tell people how those are shit or how they sell like shit or how XXX will not do anything for their sales. If we know that the PS4 is on top and also know that it will stay there, why do we still feel so insecure about the sales that we have to constantly tell the world that the other systems are failing compared to the PS4?

It's really like that yearbook quote that some user on here has in his sig "It's not enough that I should succeed, others should fail". 

Edit: This is of course all just in my experience and I might not be remembering some of the things from 2008/9 quite correctly.

Funny, I joined this forum only today excluisvly because it seemed to be the only one where sensible adult discussion was taking place; but the more I read the less hopeful I am of that, lol. :)

You do have a good point; as a mature gamer I don't really understand this mentality either; but I'd also say your post is passive aggressive and seems to basically read as "say what you want but Playstation is at the top so there" and I picture an infant sticking his tounge out and running away.

Now I can understand 2 business bragging about who's console is selling more, but as users it makes little sense to me. 

My only theory is that in actual fact it's this mentality that is driving sales; people want to own popular consumer objects beacsue in turn it makes them feel popular and part of the crowd. It certainly seems to be the number #1 stick used to poke Xbox & Nintendo users.

Back when I was a lad, we'd be torn between a Commodore 64 and a Spectrum 48k; we'd tease the Speccy kids for the lack of colors in their games, but we'd be more interested in going around and playing on it than having arguments.

For the record, I purchased both next gen consoles with a view to testing both and selling the one I liked least. I chose the Xbox and it was a pretty easy choice.

So it isn't winning in my house.

pockethamster said:

Funny, I joined this forum only today excluisvly because it seemed to be the only one where sensible adult discussion was taking place; but the more I read the less hopeful I am of that, lol. :)

What!!!?? Well as long as you dont say or post anything positive about Xbox and dont say/post anything negative about PS, you should have no problem having discussion(1 of 3 aint bad) here.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Around the Network

All are the same only difference is your perspective and where they currently are coming from.

DerNebel said:

I just thought back to the days when I was just a lowly lurker around here, back in 2008-2009 and I just found it interesting how certain fanbase attitudes and rivalries have changed over the years and especially now with the new gen.

For example there was this whole Wii60 thing back then, this allegiance of 360 and Wii owners against the greater evil, the PS3. Compare that to now that the the Wii U and X1 are in competition over second place, they are basically at each others throats and have largely stepped away from going against the PS4, when it comes to sales at least.

The Nintendo fanbase was a whole lot calmer back then, I mean why wouldn't they be? The Wii and DS where comfortably sitting at the top of the charts every week, what would people say? "Oh, it's for casual/kids/etc", pff ok great, it's still at the top.

So someone thinks the PS4 is shit or doesn't have any games or whatever? It's still at the top.

And at the same time, we don't have to be in attack mode all the time, for example when there is a thread about the X1 and Wii U we don't have to jump out every time and tell people how those are shit or how they sell like shit or how XXX will not do anything for their sales. If we know that the PS4 is on top and also know that it will stay there, why do we still feel so insecure about the sales that we have to constantly tell the world that the other systems are failing compared to the PS4?

It's really like that yearbook quote that some user on here has in his sig "It's not enough that I should succeed, others should fail". 

Edit: This is of course all just in my experience and I might not be remembering some of the things from 2008/9 quite correctly.

Give it some time, the Wii released 2 years before you joined the site. Wouldn't it be reasonable to allow the same quarter for fans of the PS4?

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

pockethamster said:
DerNebel said:

You do have a good point; as a mature gamer I don't really understand this mentality either; but I'd also say your post is passive aggressive and seems to basically read as "say what you want but Playstation is at the top so there" and I picture an infant sticking his tounge out and running away.

Now I can understand 2 business bragging about who's console is selling more, but as users it makes little sense to me. 

My only theory is that in actual fact it's this mentality that is driving sales; people want to own popular consumer objects beacsue in turn it makes them feel popular and part of the crowd. It certainly seems to be the number #1 stick used to poke Xbox & Nintendo users.

Back when I was a lad, we'd be torn between a Commodore 64 and a Spectrum 48k; we'd tease the Speccy kids for the lack of colors in their games, but we'd be more interested in going around and playing on it than having arguments.

For the record, I purchased both next gen consoles with a view to testing both and selling the one I liked least. I chose the Xbox and it was a pretty easy choice.

So it isn't winning in my house.

it is winning in most houses and this is a videogame sales forum... but welcome here anyway :)

DerNebel said:

I want to give you a really big hug now.

Wii and Xbox fans are at each others throats currently? I can't say ive seen that.
I do see sony fans making sure xbox fans sit at the back of the bus though.