By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Interesting how the times have changed

I just thought back to the days when I was just a lowly lurker around here, back in 2008-2009 and I just found it interesting how certain fanbase attitudes and rivalries have changed over the years and especially now with the new gen.

For example there was this whole Wii60 thing back then, this allegiance of 360 and Wii owners against the greater evil, the PS3. Compare that to now that the the Wii U and X1 are in competition over second place, they are basically at each others throats and have largely stepped away from going against the PS4, when it comes to sales at least.

The Nintendo fanbase was a whole lot calmer back then, I mean why wouldn't they be? The Wii and DS where comfortably sitting at the top of the charts every week, what would people say? "Oh, it's for casual/kids/etc", pff ok great, it's still at the top.

But the PS fanbase seems to have stayed kinda static in time, pretty easily offended, very vocal, often very aggressive (and I'm not excluding myself here) and I'm wondering "Why?". Why don't we of the PS fanbase just calm down a bit now that our preferred system is very much at the top and is set to stay there?

So someone thinks the PS4 is shit or doesn't have any games or whatever? It's still at the top.

Someone says the PS4 isn't innovative and just a PS3.5? Still at the top.

Someone says the PS4 is only selling on hype? At the top.

And at the same time, we don't have to be in attack mode all the time, for example when there is a thread about the X1 and Wii U we don't have to jump out every time and tell people how those are shit or how they sell like shit or how XXX will not do anything for their sales. If we know that the PS4 is on top and also know that it will stay there, why do we still feel so insecure about the sales that we have to constantly tell the world that the other systems are failing compared to the PS4?

It's really like that yearbook quote that some user on here has in his sig "It's not enough that I should succeed, others should fail". 

Edit: This is of course all just in my experience and I might not be remembering some of the things from 2008/9 quite correctly.

Around the Network

The losing generation's fans tend to be the most rabid ones, as demonstrated last gen and this gen. However I still think Sony fans on this site are some of the worst I've ever seen.

I only have a PS4, Vita and PC.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Sony fanbase is the internet and internet is always pissed off. So, you are asking too much of them. Now you are like green sky what do you know, you noob. Well just like Joel, i've been on both sides of the ambush too. 

Seriously there are just some really really bad apples that make the whole fanbase look bad. I mean this is video games talk, hardly even on the bottom of relevance scale in the grand scheme of things.

I'll never stop hating Microsoft! Especially when they made Halo 2 exclusive to Vista and ruined Rareware!

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

well where i go sony fans are always making fun of wii u and xbox one sadly
"xbox 180", "pii u" etc, :(

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

Around the Network

We mustn't give them an inch!

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

I don't hate the Playstation, I just hate some of the fans.

It is because we suffered too much last generation. Long live Sony, long live the king!!!!

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

bigtakilla said:

I hate all of their fans. Especially myself. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:
bigtakilla said:

I hate all of their fans. Especially myself. 

how could you live with yourself

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3