By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - After the Wii U disaster, will you buy Nintendo's next console?

Of course.
The Wii U's already given me some fantastic games in Mario Kart 8, Tropical Freeze, 3D World, and Pikmin 3, and the future looks hugely promising with the likes of Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and the new Zelda.

I probably wouldn't buy it in its first year, but I didn't buy the Wii U in its first year either.

Around the Network

havent bought a Nintendo console since GC and that was for the at the time exclusive RE4

dont care what previous console did i need realistic mature games and equal or better 3rd party support to make a purchase

Play Me

WiiU is not a disaster. It has caused losses to Nintendo but NOT anymore. It is profitable.
WiiU itself is some very good hardware, has lots of STRONG games and most owners love it.
I am mostly playing WiiU and sometimes X1 but family and friends always go for WiiU to play MK8 or Mario. Even some of friends bought one because they liked it.

I am a console collector, so I will def buy any console! But I love Nintendo!

RolStoppable said:
If they fire/demote Miyamoto or if he steps down on his own, then yes.

Poor miyamoto. As if ice bucket challenges werent enough...

BHR-3 said:
havent bought a Nintendo console since GC and that was for the at the time exclusive RE4

dont care what previous console did i need realistic mature games and equal or better 3rd party support to make a purchase

I have to ask. Why do you need third party support? Are you planning to buy multiplats for the Wii U? 

I think you're exaggerating a bit. Not gonna affect whether I buy the next one, unless they stop supporting it early.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
earthtrues said:

disaster? boy, nintendo haters are the worst.

Yup... Spurgey is definitely the biggest Nintendo hater I've seen! Definiteeeeeeely!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I think Nintendo will change the definition of a "console" next gen (at least a Nintendo console), but sure yeah.

How else am I supposed to play Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 3, F-Zero League (I wish), etc. etc. etc.

AZWification said:
earthtrues said:

disaster? boy, nintendo haters are the worst.

Yup... Spurgey is definitely the biggest Nintendo hater I've seen! Definiteeeeeeely!

Hell, I've been called a Nintendo hater before... XD

RolStoppable said:
bigtakilla said:
RolStoppable said:
If they fire/demote Miyamoto or if he steps down on his own, then yes.

DO you mean Iwata, or actually Miyamoto? And if so, why?

I mean Miyamoto.

Iwata said that Nintendo has to satisfy Wii U owners. That's fine, because it's the best option at this point. There's no real hope for growth for this disaster of a console, so they might as well focus on games that sell to the existing base, rather than creating games that might draw in new consumers (which is very unlikely to work). On the other hand, Miyamoto called the Wii owners who don't want a Wii U pathetic and said that Nintendo will focus on the more passionate consumers from now on. While that is a similar context to what Iwata said, it's done with an insult that also carries implications for the ninth generation: He has no interest to make games that a bigger number of people want to buy. Consequently, it pretty much guarantees that the next Nintendo console will be a failure too.

Many forum goers have cheered on Miyamoto for calling people pathetic, because on the surface it looks better for them (more games that they want). However, if Nintendo systems fail due to bad business decisions (focusing on a small core audience that demands ever-increasing production values is bad business), then Nintendo has a hard time to stay profitable. If a company struggles for profitability, measures to nickle and dime existing customers are introduced. DLC, preorder bonuses, special editions that include overpriced gimmicks, microtransactions and all that other garbage companies can think of. So in the end it hurts all the people who cheered on Miyamoto, because they thought all games is better than some games (with "some" still being 50%+). But if Nintendo tries to broaden their appeal, then the company will have more stability and thus won't have to add all the aforementioned bullshit in order to stay afloat as a hardware maker.

With Miyamoto's bitter attitude we are heading straight into a future where Nintendo games are sliced up into pieces that are sold separately. Perhaps Iwata thinks exactly the same, but we have no certainty to say this at this point. With Miyamoto we do. Of course, if Miyamoto is willing to change his mind, then he can keep his position. But after all those years of being called a game god, he might think that he can do no wrong and will rather double down instead of reconsidering.

Casuals are the main driver of microtransactions in the business, practically half the garbage on the iOS/Android market that they're eating up is fuelled by microtransactions and "free to download, now pay 99 cents for every item/character!" business model.

The console market is where developers will still take a lot of sh*t for overstepping their boundaries. At least there is still give and take on this side, as Microsoft found out the hard way when the game audience really took them to task for their initial XBOne vision. 

Also Miyamoto never called casuals pathetic. He said their attitude is pathetic, and he's not entirely wrong. They are "content tourists", they don't care about gaming or the greater good of the industry. They just want their 10 minutes of fun for as cheap as possible when given the option. 

You cannot rationaize or sell anything deeper than a superfical experience to this audience, they don't want to hear about, not interested, etc. etc. Casuals are the gaming equivalent to TV viewers who only watch basically reality TV. 

Quality wise the Wii was not any better than the Wii U anyway. The third party support was mostly garbage there anyway, and several of the big Wii IP are better on the Wii U than Wii ... MK8 > MKWii, will be a rout once the bonus content is out, NSMBU> NSMB Wii, DKC: Tropical Freeze > DKCR. The Wonderful 101 and LEGO City are honestly probably better than early gen Wii titles like Excitetruck and Super Paper Mario too. Mario 3D World is the only one that's slightly worse than Mario Galaxy, but not by much. I would not be surprised if Smash U > Smash Brawl too and Zelda U > Skyward Sword (slightly dissapointing IMO).  Wii has Metroid Prime, so I'll give it that, but aside from that it's a lot of fluff. 

curl-6 said:

Hell, I've been called a Nintendo hater before... XD

Yup.. You and Spurge are clearly VGChartz's most infamous Nintendo haters!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---