By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Fans, were you dissapointed with the Wii?

Nintendo Fans, was the Wii a dissapointment to you?

yes 113 34.14%

no 216 65.26%

Total:329

Nope, it had plenty of high quality Nintendo games and a large selection of unknown/underselling but quality titles that never got the media attention the shinier PS360 titles did. I have about 70 games for it, all pretty much exclusive bar a couple so there was never a lack of titles on the system for me.

Around the Network

I was, 6th gen I had Xbox, GC, GBA, PS2 and I loved them equally with so many awesome games so I figured 7th gen would be even better. I'll admit that there were some good games on the Wii but the fact that there was no HD or great online (basically not moving with the times) totally pushed me away later on. So I let my sister take the Wii when she moved out. The PS3 was disappointing too IMO so all I had was my 360 while if I wanted to game on the others I would go over family or friends' houses to play exclusives (still had my GC controller because I hate the Wii mote). Now that I'm in my own place I'm thinking about getting Wii U with my Xbox One this holiday since all my GF likes is Nintendo games. I really wish they would sell it with a pro controller instead of the gamepad though.

I was disappointed with the Wii to be perfectly honest! That console had many great first party titles ( Mario Galaxy, Xenoblade, Prime 3 to name a few), but the Wii also had many first party disappointments ( Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, lack of Star Fox/F-Zero, etc...)! I also hated the Wii's high amount of gimmicky games and shovelware! >_>

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

The Wii was like a rebirth of Nintendo for me. It was the first time I enjoyed a new Nintendo home console since the N64 era. Nintendo was finally getting back to proper form with new and innovative interfaces, high quality games. The first true home console Mario Kart game since Mario Kart 64, and the best one yet. The first true Mario game since Mario 64, and Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 remain to this day the two most finely crafted gaming experiences I have ever played. Unlike the N64 though, it felt like there was lots to play. In addition, the console looked interesting, a sleek box with a nice controller - rather than a silly purple lunchbox gimmick with a controller that was an amorphous squishy blob that looked like a toy and was barely usable as a gaming controller.

The Wii was awesome! Nintendo's first awesome console since the SNES.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I never had a pre-Wii Nintendo console. The Wii was what got me into Nintendo products...although playing on the Wii U I feel it is much better than the Wii...so maybe a yes if I had to pick...

Around the Network

Disappointed is a strong word. I wasn't disappointed per-se, but it could have been better.

Overall, I feel like there weren't a whole lot of games that were really 'worth' it. The library to me remained quite shallow throughout it's life. However, what it lacked in quantity, it did make up in quality. For a lot of franchises, the system did have either the best or one of the best entries of that franchise ever. Both Zelda's, both 3D Mario's, Kart, some of the Wii-games and some others were instant classics. In that way it's better than GameCube for sure, so there's a rising trend for now, which to me both didn't have the quantity or the quality.

The system had more potential, and I feel if it had even just 50% more power, it would have made a bigger impact. Not counting WiiU, I'd say it ranks 4th behind N64, SNES and NES, but before GC.

curl-6 said:
baloofarsan said:
It did not have ONE decent racing game (except for MK).

Excite Truck, Excite Bots,  Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing and FAST Racing League were all decent.

I was interested in both Excite games. I was a late adopter to Wii and could never find a copy of Excite Truck. Excite Bots never came to Europe.

Did not even know about Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Wii. Have it for Wii U and think it is as good or even better than MK8.

The Wii Shop Channel was awkward and I was not there a lot (liked the muzak though - stuck to the brain for hours afterwards) FAST racing was not on my radar either. I am hyped for the new one though. I like many of Shin'ens games. (Why does it take so long for Art of Balance U to release?)

Other retail racers were utter garbage, tried most of them. Worse than Gamecube, have fond memories of Need for Speed for GC.

I loved the Wii. The most disappointing part for me was the low number of inspiring games later in its life and the lack of third party support. In particular, the lack of living up to the promise that the system started with. Zelda and Wii Sports Resort were pretty much the only fun sword singing titles, and there was a lack of outstanding pointer-based shooters. I expected Zelda TP and Metroid 3 to be followed up with a slew of titles inspired by them, but things kinda died off. Nintendo also put too much effort into Wii Music, etc.

But that's being critical. Overall, the system was great. Fresh new controls. Innovative online. The ground-breaking Virtual Console. 2 3D Marios and 2 Zeldas. Galaxy and TP were a real return to form. MK. Smash. The return of 2D Mario to consoles, with 4-player coop no less. Xenoblade the best JRPG in years. Last Story. So much was done right with that console.

baloofarsan said:
curl-6 said:
baloofarsan said:
It did not have ONE decent racing game (except for MK).

Excite Truck, Excite Bots,  Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing and FAST Racing League were all decent.

I was interested in both Excite games. I was a late adopter to Wii and could never find a copy of Excite Truck. Excite Bots never came to Europe.

Took me a while to track down Excite Truck, but it's worth it; very fun, over-the-top arcade racer.

Can't say I played the Need for Speed games for Wii, but Sonic, MK, Excite and FAST were enough to satisfy me.

Not really. Sure, after 2011 or so it lost a lot of steam, but the Wii was my most played console of the 7th gen from launch til then. It was a much needed breath of fresh air after the disappointing GameCube.