By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are the PS4 versions of multiplats really better??

eva01beserk said:
Mr Puggsly said:
The PS4 version have more visual polish and/or better frame rates.

However, its not the world of difference some people make it seem like. This isn't PS2 graphics vs Xbox graphics.

The average person won't see the differences and X1 games are becoming more polished. Destiny is proof of that.

Wrong, bungi decided to reach for parity, wich means they decided to work harder on the x1 version and not the ps4. Right now it might seem worth it cuz even if the ps4 is selling more copies of a multyplat its not that much. But that will change in the future as the intall base for the ps4 is now twice the x1's, and is increasing. WHen the ps4 is 3:1 x1, devs wont care for parity and they will push harder for the ps4.

You're babbling.

I'm merely pointing out X1 games are more polished now. We're seeing higher resolutions and frame rates. Developers will push harder on both platforms.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
eva01beserk said:
Mr Puggsly said:
The PS4 version have more visual polish and/or better frame rates.

However, its not the world of difference some people make it seem like. This isn't PS2 graphics vs Xbox graphics.

The average person won't see the differences and X1 games are becoming more polished. Destiny is proof of that.

Wrong, bungi decided to reach for parity, wich means they decided to work harder on the x1 version and not the ps4. Right now it might seem worth it cuz even if the ps4 is selling more copies of a multyplat its not that much. But that will change in the future as the intall base for the ps4 is now twice the x1's, and is increasing. WHen the ps4 is 3:1 x1, devs wont care for parity and they will push harder for the ps4.

You're babbling.

I'm merely pointing out X1 games are more polished now. We're seeing higher resolutions and frame rates. Developers will push harder on both platforms.

higher resolution and frame rates on the xbox one than the PS4?

which games are you talking about? 

every game that come out on both systems either looks and play better on the PS4 or they are both on par. 

Landguy said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Landguy said:

I think you are responding to the other comment about controllers.  I wasn't speaking to something subjective. 

Even though TV and movies would make it seem that people can percieve everything going on in their field of vision, that is simply not true.  In almost every case, the human mind only picks up fragments of what they are looking at and the brain just "assumes" the rest.  That's why I keep discussing what is perceptably different when actually playing a game as compared to what is really happening(the PS4 version is better technically).  Sure, when you disassociate yourself from the gameplay(Digital foundry), your brain then focuses on a whole different set of facts.  Thus the comparison or difference is more obvious.

I mention controller because I'm giving an example of how perceptual difference is irrelevant regardless of its a matter of experience or platform.

If you can discern the difference then it makes little sense to even argue for the version with lower res/fr because they cost the same amount of money.

If you can't buying habits are debatable, but the debate about which version offers more value is a verifiyable fact. Digital Foundry's job is to present objective analysis of a video games performance. Ironically, DF was hardly ever critiziced when they said the PS3 version was worse than the 360 version, but now that the tables have turned so has the criticism.

Hmm...

If you own both consoles and the game will have no perceptable difference to you, your theory is that you should buy the PS4 version just because you will know that it is technically better?  If that is the case, you need to never buy a car. In very few instaces do people buy the technically better car.  The same goes for almost all electronics.  Most people buy them based on brand loyalty. 

I don't think that people are wrong for buying the PS4 version.  I think that they many are buying it because they were told that the PS4 version is "better".  Even though they themselves would never see the difference.  M$ really screwed up launching the system when they were obviously not ready and the developers weren't given the right tools to get the XB1 to perform better.  Of course, M$ undershot the power too.

Brand Loyalty is an issue of that deals with Consoles not with games, there is no different brand of a game that is identical on multiple platforms. The difference is always there. The Sky is blue regardless of if you are blind or not. No sane person would ever pay the same amount for a worse version of something, unless there was something outside the game that affected their decision. The brand of the console is one of those things, It has nothing to do with the Game itself, just the console you are playing it on.

Brand is exactly the same thing as controller, its a matter of preference.

The only reason any rational person would be the Xbox version over the PlayStation version is if on the Xbox they have preferences that override the difference between the two versions.

Preferences are irrelevant to the comparison of two version of a game however, with this being the case the only time the PS4 version is not superior, is when its equal to the Xbox version, this is not up for discussion.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

overman1 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You're babbling.

every game that come out on both systems either looks and play better on the PS4 or they are both on par. 

Jesus, I guess have to spell it out for some of you guys.

X1 games are better optimized now. We're seeing higher resolutions and frames in newer X1 games compared to older games.

There was a time when people questioned the X1's ability to even do 1080p, but its become more common.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
overman1 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You're babbling.

Jesus, I guess have to spell it out for some of you guys.

X1 games are better optimized now. We're seeing higher resolutions and frames in newer X1 games compared to older games.

There was a time when people questioned the X1's ability to even do 1080p, but its become more common.

okay...sorry i read you wrong. but it is supposed to be like that. Ps4 games will also get better looking as the gen proceeds. Things lke this arent stagnant...

Around the Network

Well, games running at sub 1080p resolutions on TVs that are 1080p look like they had some vaseline filter on them, the image is just not as clear, most people will notice the sub 1080p game look "off" if they have played only ps4 titles rescently.... All the pixel counters are doing is telling why the image is not as clear, and by how much the resolution was cut.

for the frame rates, often it's more subtle, as they're closer, but there are two extreme examples, thomb raider:de is locked at 30 fps and the new sniper elite game has serious drops and tearing on xb1 only...

thechical superiority as a pretty good reason to buy a gaming system, especially if it has the games you want anyway, why even bother with the weaker machine? This is not a serious conversation to have, all the numbers did was confirm that the leaked specs made sense.

things like 1080p with good frame rates and image quality are expected on the ps4, very few games stray away from that formulae, on xb1 you have to ask yourself if it can really run some of the games released on it.

Yes, they are. And the differences are going to get even more apparent once 3rd party developers starts moving away from cross-gen development with PS3 & 360 & starts to focus on getting the most out of both PS4 & Xbox One.

Landguy said:

As I have been reading a number of articles on the net in the last few weeks, I have noticed the same thing from multiple people leaving comments.  They state that they have a both the PS4 and XB1 and that they buy the multiplats on the PS4 because they look better. This isn't a new opinion, but one that seems to just keep coming about whenever someone needs to justify their purchase of the PS4 for some reason.

This brought up a very curious thought to me.  If you own both systems, why are you buying the game for each system and comparing them?  The obvious truth in probably almost every case is that they are simply buying the PS4 version because they were TOLD it was better looking.  I am going to say that under almost every scenario so far that when inspected by the pixel counters out there, the PS4 has proved to have more pixels and faster frame rates. 

BUT, how would the average gamer really know any different?  In almost every case, the pixel counters and reviewers admit that the gameplay is almost identical on every multiplat out there.  So, how do people truly know or why do they even care to bring it up?  I have played a number of the multiplats on both systems.  Besides the obvious differences in the controllers, they always seem identical.  I didn't try to do a side by side comparison.  I just played them either at my home or someone elses.  I didn't think to myself "wow the PS4 version is better or faster".  I thought " hmm, this seems the same".

The truth is, it is almost impossible to have the differences matter when actually playing the game.  It's just too bad that most people seem to find these small differences enough to make it a game or system buying decision.  In previous generations, most people seemed to buy their systems based on their want for particular games.  Not this gen, they are doing it for pixel counts! Sure, once they are on the PS4, they find out how great PS+ is, but Live Gold is similar at this point.

The reality is that people are sheep and they need to be told what to think.

Your post doesn't make much sense.  If you have both a PS4 and XB1, then why would you not get the PS4 version if it has more pixels and better frame rate?  Even you couldn't quite tell the difference, for what reason would you buy the XB1 version?

My 8th gen collection

The only game I've played on both X1 and ps4 was COD ghosts. It clearly looked better on ps4 with identical set ups.

overman1 said:

okay...sorry i read you wrong. but it is supposed to be like that. Ps4 games will also get better looking as the gen proceeds. Things lke this arent stagnant...

And there is the usual response, "but PS4 is geting better too!"

I didn't imply better optimization was limited to the X1. But the disparity in visuals has become less of an issues thanks to developers getting better with the X1 hardware.

Even BF:Hardline and AC:Unity are apparently 1080p. I didn't expect optimization would improve that much so soon on X1.

Recently Completed