By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Famitsu Review Scores: Issue 1340. Hyrule Warriors gets a...

Clyde32 said:
AZWification said:

Not trying to downplay HW, but Famitsu also gave Resi 6 a 39/40, so I think I'll wait for more reviews!

Capcom pays Famitsu. So does SE. 

I think I'll trust this one because they also gave xenoblade a 36/40.

Shit, man! Everyone minus Nintendo/Sony must be paying Famitsu since the 360 version of Sonic 06 got a 30/40!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
z101 said:
ktay95 said:
tbone51 said:
I trust this review as much as i trust Positive News from Polygon talking about Nintendo+Sony.......... Well not really >_>

I hope it scores high in the west, not sure if alot of people kno here, but lets say HW gets anywhere between 77-79 on Meta, thats Huge!!!! Look at the score on Dynasty Warrior games http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/dynasty warriors/results

Actually anything above 70 kinda shows biased towards the Zelda franchise from reviewers. As much as Im excited for it I know a spin off like this is not as good and fleshed out as Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends on PS4.

HW seems to be more "fleshed out" than any Dynasty Warriors game to date and has some interesting new gamplay elements.

Not to mention the fact that Hyrule Warriors looks better than even DW8 on PS4. :)

I don't even.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Kresnik said:
z101 said:

HW seems to be more "fleshed out" than any Dynasty Warriors game to date and has some interesting new gamplay elements.

Not to mention the fact that Hyrule Warriors looks better than even DW8 on PS4. :)

It has a hell of a lot less characters (which often leads to less gameplay variety, because what you're doing is always the same but the way you're doing it is different) plus a fewer number of gameplay modes than DW8XL.

That doesn't seem more "fleshed out" to me.

It's nothing to be ashamed of.  It's the first Hyrule Warriors game they've made, whereas they're on their 8th (plus expansions) on DW which gives them more scope to refine and improve.  But still, it's definitely not as fleshed out from what I've seen.

I disagree on the lot less characters. Why judge on that. Its the LoZ universe, if they want more characters they would need to add alot of made up characters. Then it feel alot less than a LoZ inspired.  

Example like how SSBB has 39 playable characters vs PSASBR 20 (not counting DLC). Shouldnt judge cuz it has less characters compared to another game!!!

Forgot to mention that the weapons they give out to some should count as more playable characters (cuz they wont feel the same at all.Ex: Regular Link vs Ball+Chain Link!)

How about judging it also from an LoZ point of view? The world of Zelda Mash together nicely, hidden gems + details, the extra announced modes, etc! Also i believe this is the first DW game with items used on fields (taking from LoZ) and fighting giant bosses that are Nostalgic :)

There are lots of factors in this but there is something that needs to be said. NOBODY TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY!!!! PLSSSS..... I feel as though there are a good amount of people (not only vgc obviously) that are overdoing by Worrying about the reviews and the response of how HW will do (reception+sales).

This meaning alot of DW fans or simply people who dont like Nintendo mad at the fact many will enjoy this game, but never looked at DW before. Which in all honesty is silly. I mean its the same with PSASBR. Im sure many never played SSB but bought PSASBR... Why? Cuz they are interested in those characters. Same is said here. I've played Only 1 DW game and its One Piece Pirate Warriors and thats cuz i love One Piece. Nothing Wrong with that

tbone51 said:

I disagree on the lot less characters. Why judge on that. Its the LoZ universe, if they want more characters they would need to add alot of made up characters. Then it feel alot less than a LoZ inspired.  

Example like how SSBB has 39 playable characters vs PSASBR 20 (not counting DLC). Shouldnt judge cuz it has less characters compared to another game!!!

Forgot to mention that the weapons they give out to some should count as more playable characters (cuz they wont feel the same at all.Ex: Regular Link vs Ball+Chain Link!)

How about judging it also from an LoZ point of view? The world of Zelda Mash together nicely, hidden gems + details, the extra announced modes, etc! Also i believe this is the first DW game with items used on fields (taking from LoZ) and fighting giant bosses that are Nostalgic :)

@ bolded, honestly, what was the point of all that?

"I disagree about characters adding to gameplay variety"

"But I think having more weapons adds to gameplay variety!"

Are they not pretty much exactly the same thing?  Having a different character with different moves adds to gameplay variety.  Having different weapons with different abilities adds to gameplay variety.

As Ktay mentioned in his post, DW8XL has a variety of different systems and different weapons and more characters.  I have no idea how you can seriously argue that Hyrule Warriors is "more fleshed out" than something like Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends.  It just isn't by any metric.

(And regarding PSABR - it was judged harshly for having less characters than Super Smash.  Go and read some reviews or forum threads from around the time it was releasing - it got slated for the small character roster quite often)

@ italics, it should be judged by both franchises because it's a part of both franchise.  It's called "Zelda Musou" in Japan.  It's very much a part of the musou franchise as much as it's part of the Zelda franchise, and should be judged by that too.

If you wish to give it a silver lining, by all means judge it against other Zelda games.  Is it going to have anywhere near the amount of content as your average Zelda game though?  If previous Warriors games are anything to go by - probably not.

Wright said:
Kresnik said:

Do you know that the 4 people only play the game for an hour?  Is it not plausible that they have 4 reviewers play the game as much as 1 western reviewer before leaving their thoughts?

They are, after all, part of a massive media organization in Japan in an industry where magazines still have a large amount of relevance.

I remember watching a documentary about Famitsu. Reviewers have barely time to do anything at all. They just have to play a game as much as they can over a very strict timetable, then plaster their impressions in few lines and a number and move on to the next game.

I don't know how reviewers review the game. Maybe western reviews is made by one single reviewer over a long period of time and Famitsu has 4 reviewers reviewing for smaller periods of time. Maybe this makes sense since I don't think Famitsu was handed over 4 copies of the game prior its release for reviewing, they probably had only one copy and to be reviewed by 4 guys while western reviewers has just one guy doing it for the same amount of time? I don't know for sure but makes sense.

What's better one reviewer for a longer period or 4 for shorter periods? 

I'd say most times a review made by 4 different people tend to be more accurate, the more people giving opinions about something, its average will be closer to its real value than if made by fewer people. It's basic statistics. This is why metacritic is so valued. Most games you just need 30 minutes, maybe one hour to understand its value. However certain areas of a review, namely story and lasting appeal, probably need more time to be reviewed.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Kresnik said:
z101 said:

It has a hell of a lot less characters (which often leads to less gameplay variety, because what you're doing is always the same but the way you're doing it is different) plus a fewer number of gameplay modes than DW8XL.

That doesn't seem more "fleshed out" to me.

It's nothing to be ashamed of.  It's the first Hyrule Warriors game they've made, whereas they're on their 8th (plus expansions) on DW which gives them more scope to refine and improve.  But still, it's definitely not as fleshed out from what I've seen.

This meaning alot of DW fans or simply people who dont like Nintendo mad at the fact many will enjoy this game, but never looked at DW before. Which in all honesty is silly. I mean its the same with PSASBR. Im sure many never played SSB but bought PSASBR... Why? Cuz they are interested in those characters. Same is said here. I've played Only 1 DW game and its One Piece Pirate Warriors and thats cuz i love One Piece. Nothing Wrong with that

tbone, this isn't an argument you're going to win. The main DW has everything HW is offering, just with much more of it. The only thing unique that HW is bringing is the Gamepad/wiimote coop (vs. two controllers for local coop or online coop). Every character has access to dozens of weapons, so each characters has dozens of variable play styles and stance changes. With this type of game, characters and content are very important because it's shallow. That's why there's so many game modes and options (and why people critical of PSABR's small roster are more than justified. bar is set higher by other games in same genre).

For the last bit, it's not so much people enjoying the game, but those who say the series sucks or that it's bad. You can't claim that about other Musou games and think HW is suddenly different.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Why are Famitsu reviews suddenly irrelevant and worthless (this is the first time I'm hearing this) just because HW got good reviews?

These forums are weird.

I wonder whether it was Nintendo or Koei who signed the check?

Seems like an appropriate score though.

Kresnik said:
tbone51 said:

@ italics, it should be judged by both franchises because it's a part of both franchise.  It's called "Zelda Musou" in Japan.  It's very much a part of the musou franchise as much as it's part of the Zelda franchise, and should be judged by that too.

If you wish to give it a silver lining, by all means judge it against other Zelda games.  Is it going to have anywhere near the amount of content as your average Zelda game though?  If previous Warriors games are anything to go by - probably not.

Well i disagree with those parts of more characters/etc with Ktay. I might of mixed up the fact i thought u were saying the game should be judged cuz of it has less characters (my argument being how can This game have that many characters O.o)

Other thing is i was semi agreeing its more fleshed out as it has some elements not seen in DW. That should be enough to differentiate the games with HW in a way...

I agree they should judge the game more based on DW series. But with all the eye candy, nostalgia, and added elements. I think it'll score higher than the normal DW games. That said, many will be upset if this game scores high, even in the low 80s.

Its a lose - lose situation no matter wat for HW. This is based on sales/score. Here look...

~Sales~

Sells badly: Meaning obviously terrible, "Bomb" and "Flop", waste of time etc.

Sells Great: "Only sold good because its LoZ Skin" and things amoung those lines 

-Meta Score- Which seem to be wat will have never ending arguments

Low Score: Nothing needs to be said here

High Score:.....

[imghttp://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1319233/2263308-South-Park-rabble-rabble-rabble_medium.jpg][/img]

Dynasty Warriors 7 - 9/9/9/9 (36/40)
Dynasty Warriors 8 - 9/9/9/9 (36/40)
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends - 9/9/9/9 (36/40)
One Piece: Pirate Warriors - 9/9/9/9 (36/40)
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 - 10/9/9/9 (37/40)