By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Q1 03/14 gc 80k(due to Q4 overshipping)Wii U 510k.GC still dominates:9.63-6.68m as of june30th03/14

This is just flat out false.

Wii U 3rd Year (2014 June YTD NPD) vs. GameCube 3rd Year (2003 June YTD NPD)
448k (Wii U) vs 721.3k (GCN)

Even when comparing GameCube's 2003 to Wii U's 2014 (the equivalent year), GameCube is soundly beating the Wii U. Nintendo just had to stop shipments of GameCube because they overshipped massively in late 2002, that's why shipments slowed to 80k for a quarter in 2003. 

Around the Network
AZWification said:

Damn.. GameCube sales weren't just bad... They were AWFUL! Poor Gamecube..

Yeah, it was pretty sad. I was in my early 20's and owned all three. I enjoyed the system but if you even so much as uttered the word Gamecube online or while playing online, that was the end of your evening lol. 

It's funny to watch the early 20 somethings now recall the Gamecube as being the be all, end all because they were little kids at the time and thus, don't have a clue as to what was really going on. The WW epitomizes this perfectly.

Wow it sold REALLY bad in that quarter, seriously it only did about 6k a week

prayformojo said:
AZWification said:

Yeah, it was pretty sad. I was in my early 20's and owned all three. I enjoyed the system but if you even so much as uttered the word Gamecube online or while playing online, that was the end of your evening lol. 

It's funny to watch the early 20 somethings now recall the Gamecube as being the be all, end all because they were little kids at the time and thus, don't have a clue as to what was really going on. The WW epitomizes this perfectly.

Oh yes. 100%

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

The reason why there was so much GCN inventory is because Nintendo massively overshipped for holiday 02 and 2003.

They bet the farm on Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, and Zelda: Wind Waker igniting sales, and while they provided boosts, the boosts were in the long term no where near what Nintendo expected.

As a result retailers got stuck with a ton of unsold GCN inventory which meant that Nintendo had to halt orders for a short while.

Around the Network
prayformojo said:
AZWification said:

You may be right, but I still love the GC because it still has my favorite F-Zero, Paper Mario, Metroid, Smash Bros and Zelda games.. Keep in mind that I also grew up a bit with the SNES ( Mario World was the first video game I've ever played) and the N64..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Soundwave said:

Even when comparing GameCube's 2003 to Wii U's 2014 (the equivalent year), GameCube is soundly beating the Wii U. Nintendo just had to stop shipments of GameCube because they overshipped massively in late 2002, that's why shipments slowed to 80k for a quarter in 2003

So what you're saying is that it's not false at all. Lies, damned lied, and statistics, eh?

the_dengle said:
Soundwave said:

Even when comparing GameCube's 2003 to Wii U's 2014 (the equivalent year), GameCube is soundly beating the Wii U. Nintendo just had to stop shipments of GameCube because they overshipped massively in late 2002, that's why shipments slowed to 80k for a quarter in 2003

So what you're saying is that it's not false at all. Lies, damned lied, and statistics, eh?

No the OP mentions the number as sales while it was shipped. Gamecube hade large stock and it sold comparable to the Wii-U in the U.S. and Japan. However that's with Mario Kart launch for Wii-U, a game that was released at the end of 2003 for Gamecube.

At the end of it Gamecube still SHIPPED over 5 million units in the total FY 2003, while Wii-U is expected to only ship 3.6 million in FY 2014.

AnthonyW86 said:
the_dengle said:
Soundwave said:

No the OP mentions the number as sales while it was shipped. Gamecube hade large stock and it sold comparable to the Wii-U in the U.S. and Japan. However that's with Mario Kart launch for Wii-U, a game that was released at the end of 2003 for Gamecube.

At the end of it Gamecube still SHIPPED over 5 million units in the total FY 2003, while Wii-U is expected to only ship 3.6 million in FY 2014.

The article quoted in the OP uses the term sales. Shipments are sales from Nintendo's perspective.

Regardless, this is a matter of semantics and it doesn't change the fact that the Wii U out shipped the GCN this (respective) quarter. As for people making excuses about the GCN being over-shipped the previous two quarters, that didn't stop them from touting shipment numbers from those quarters as evidence that the GameCube was kicking the Wii U's butt.

You've got to look at both the bigger picture and the smaller picture simultaneously. It's true that the Wii U is still behind in YTD shipments, but its been admitted by the very same people pointing that out that the GameCube was over-shipped at the time. Projections are the farthest thing from solid numbers I can imagine. The appropriate response is to take this news at face value -- the GameCube outshipped the Wii U Q4 but the GameCube was over-shipped, and consequently in Q1 the Wii U outshipped the GCN -- and then simply wait and see what happens in Q2 and Q3.

The fact that the GameCube was over-shipped at the time does NOT render this update meaningless. It casts a shadow over the GameCube's victories in previous quarters.

AZWification said:
prayformojo said:
AZWification said:

You may be right, but I still love the GC because it still has my favorite F-Zero, Paper Mario, Metroid, Smash Bros and Zelda games.. Keep in mind that I also grew up a bit with the SNES ( Mario World was the first video game I've ever played) and the N64..

It was a great little system and you're right, F-Zero, Metroid Prime...even Animal Crossing, those games were awesome. But I was just refering to the public perception at the time which was, pure hate lol