By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Q1 03/14 gc 80k(due to Q4 overshipping)Wii U 510k.GC still dominates:9.63-6.68m as of june30th03/14

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

Wii U is in it's 3rd calendar year, so compare GC in 2003 when it was selling almost double the Wii U's estimate for 2014.
GC peaked in 2003.
In 2004 GC started to decline, as PS2 was dominant and developers stopped supporting GC as much.
We don't yet know if Wii U will be similar, but there's little reason to be optimistic right now.

My 8th gen collection

kowenicki said:

can you do the same for jan to april

and then for lifetime to date?

you wil the see the futility of this kind of selective comparison and realise you should have stooped at the end of our first sentence.

did you read what i have wrote or my comments, i said that this doesnt put wii u ahead...and that i m hating sales comparison with predecessors...you forbid me to notify a fact,that wii u won a quarter?dont be so offensive...

tak13 said:

...you forbid me to notify a fact,that wii u won a quarter?dont be so offensive...

We forbid you because shipping is different from sold.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network

The Wii U was doomed the moment people started comparing it to the GameCube.

Gamecube end of June 2003-9.63m

Wii U end of June 2014-6.68m

Gamecube is still ahead by about 3 million. I will give Wii U some slack tho considering its still twice the price of Gamecube at this point in its life so maybe future price cuts and Amiibo success can help it get over Gamecube lifetime sales but its not currently looking good.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

DaveyBoy88 said:

What are you saying? It's not very easy to figure out what the point of your thread is.

EDIT: Well, I one can figure it out (and follow your link). Didn't Mario Kart 8 just launch? I don't think this is a useful comparison.

Wii U still would've sold 250k-300k, so it still would've sold a lot more than gamecube did.

Shipped doesn't mean sold. Plus GameCube didn't have Double Dash yet.

ICStats said:

Man. The GameCube was beaten 100:1 by the PS2 on their seventh year. The poor little thing.

Also, I would guess the Wii U's sales pattern to be closer to the first Xbox than the GameCube when all is said and done.

Maybe even the X360 if Nintendo is exceptionally lucky and plays all their cards the right way.