By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much money could Nintendo make on a Mario movie?

I don't know, but they would have $9 from me.

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

Around the Network

As much as I've come to more or less accept it, I don't think I could take an entire film of Mario's Italian caricature voice.

When I was a kid, Mario was a gruff plumber from Brooklyn. Now he's apparently from the homeland. *shrugs*

If they got Pixar to make it, then it could be huge.

Successful or not, I think it would be garbage lol

There's a reason the first Mario movie flopped so bad. It was horrible. It wasn't Mario. Not in the slightest. I remember being so excited for the movie, then when I watched it, I was appalled. They shat all over Nintendo fans' faces with that movie. Also, it just should never have been live action. 3D animation is the way to go for a Mario movie, and it would have to keep the same spirit as the games, instead of trying to be...whatever the hell that other movie was trying to be. Video game movies could succeed, they just need to be done right, and none have been done right thus far. All they'd have to do to make a good Mario movie is use CGI, with a Super Mario Galaxy like character design, and a story along the lines of what we saw in the Mario RPGs. Leave Mario as an almost silent protagonist, as well as Luigi, and Wario and Waluigi if they appear. Have characters like Toad, Toadsworth, Princess Peach, Princess Daisy, Princess Rosalina, Bowser, and Bowser Jr. do most of the talking. Have Pixar make it, working directly with Nintendo to write the story. One of the world's most recognizable characters, in a movie made by one of the world's most beloved 3D animation studios, in a style that fits the IP, with direct involvement from Nintendo to keep things close to the source material? It'd be difficult to screw that up.

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
Seems like half of you guys are forgetting about the Paper Mario series, which would be pretty easy to turn into a movie.... Just take the general tone and the writing style from that and make it less video-game-esque and you have an awesome Mario movie

Well, it would at least be better than the 1993 movie..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

A Mario/Nintendo Universe movie could be done successfully, though probably not in the way you guys are thinking. 

Make a character from the "real world" the main character who goes into the world of games. 

It's basically the same concept as The LEGO Movie and Wreck It Ralph, both of which are huge blockbusters. 

If you can make a hit movie based around LEGO blocks, I don't see why a similar take on the video game world couldn't work. Wreck It Ralph did it, but Nintendo should just pool all their characters (and maybe get some third party ones) into one movie.

If there is a real drama Mario movie has like a concept of Lion King or Frozen, lol I think it would be a hit! XD

tak13 said:
RenCutypoison said:

They already sold mario's soul to hollywood, it made one of the worst movie ever.

According to wikipedia :
Budget $48 million
Box office $20,915,465

Even a commercial flop.Video game adaptations were never great movies. Some were average though (ex : Silent Hill).

ooooooh such a huge budget for this movie:O:O:O:O:O:O:O...21million box office isnt a failure...the excessive budget making this looking a failure:P

Given what the movie looked like, half the budget is probably the rights for mario.

The movie was terrible.

I remember seeing Super Mario Bros at the movie theatres when it came out.
Showing my age.