By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much money could Nintendo make on a Mario movie?

Blob said:
super_etecoon said:
Blob said:
Eh Mario doesnt really have the personality to carry a movie to be honest.

I don't want a Mario movie...but this can't be further from the truth.  He has so much history as an epic warrior, as a savior of his people, as a brother, as a boyfriend.  He's done to battle with some of the most iconic villains in videogame history.  His personality really would be dependent on a writer getting in there and establishing tone and plot.  

Again...I don't want these things...but it could easily be done...whether tongue in cheek or more serious.  I'm talking about a CGI cartoon here, of course.

Well to me its like Link, we all have our thoughts on what there personality would be and to us that is what it is. Giving these characters set personalitys that would be required to carry a movie would kind of hurt them in my mind.

Link actually is a really bad example...based upon the way Nintendo handles that story.  That is, it is constantly changing the character known as Link.  Therefore, Link's personality would change from game to game...if they actually gave him a voice.

I do agree that I wouldn't like them to give Mario a concrete personality...but he kind of does have one.  He says mamma mia a lot...he's completely flabbergasted at almost everything that happens around him...and then he resolves himself to rise to the challenge.  You actually have the framework for quite a dynamic character right there, and one taht would lend itself very well to slapstick and and "out of the frying pan, into the fire" plot format...all the while with him saying things like" Oh no...mammamia, etc."

But yeah...I don't want it to be made.  I think it would be terrible.  You'd have to hand it to a very good writer, like that guy that did Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine.

Around the Network

That's exactly what we need... Another Mario movie which will suck ass..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Let's not remind ourselves about that atrocity of an adaptation...

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

I think there is a reason since the 1993 flop Nintendo has not entertained the idea of bringing a character to the silver screen. Mario is just odd when you try to put it in real terms, why the television cartoon felt more true to the source.

Of all the stories I would say Metroid is the one I could see making the transition. Samus on her own on a planet so keep set costs down and focus everything on lead lady, special effects and maybe have VA for her to talk to.

Blob said:

Neither does nathan drake but it doesnt stop an uncharted movie from being made.

Its not like you cant make up a personality or well fine tune the little bits one already has.

Around the Network

Depends on the quality, the cast and the marketing.

I work at a camp. The kids don't even know Charizard, but they can name every single Mario character. They'd make a shit ton.

If Pixar or another company that's great at CG films made the movie I think they could do something amazing. At least CG movies CAN be amazing experiences. Movies like FF Advent Children, Tekken Blood Vengeance, and Resident Evil Degeneration were great films and fit right in with their video game counter parts.

As a live action movie, it would flop. I cannot name one live action video game movie that surpasses mediocre. The best representation of a live action video game film would have to be Silent Hill, and tell me that a CG movie couldn't have been much better.

JazzB1987 said:
Blob said:

Neither does nathan drake but it doesnt stop an uncharted movie from being made.

Its not like you cant make up a personality or well fine tune the little bits one already has.

Nathan Drake doesn't have personality? What are you talking about??

http://youtu.be/jBRVSdwpjzo
http://youtu.be/yPRK1ZW8Y3U
http://youtu.be/1c5qVSyMxUo
http://youtu.be/Sr24-EMV84Y