By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much money could Nintendo make on a Mario movie?

So with all these new video game to movie adaptations, how much money could Nintendo make on a modern day animated Mario movie? I'd say it could be very successful, not as successful as any Disney movies but definately in the 200 million - 400 million range in the box office.

Around the Network

Eh Mario doesnt really have the personality to carry a movie to be honest.

Before that I want:

Kid Icarus Anime - hilarious ones again.

Smash Bros Anime - epic as the trailers for newcomers, but story driven like Subspace Emissary.

Metroid Prime 1,2,3 Films.

Mario and Sonic - The movie.

Actually, I don't think it would come close to the 200-400 million range.

They already sold mario's soul to hollywood, it made one of the worst movie ever.

According to wikipedia :
Budget $48 million
Box office $20,915,465

Even a commercial flop.Video game adaptations were never great movies. Some were average though (ex : Silent Hill).

Around the Network

Mario Movie??? (Chill went down my spine thinking about the 1993 adaptation).

but seriously it could be successfull.

and btw I don't think there is anything preventing Nintendo from partner with Disney for an animation movie on Mario so it could be as successful as a Disney movie.

Blob said:

I don't want a Mario movie...but this can't be further from the truth.  He has so much history as an epic warrior, as a savior of his people, as a brother, as a boyfriend.  He's done to battle with some of the most iconic villains in videogame history.  His personality really would be dependent on a writer getting in there and establishing tone and plot.  

Again...I don't want these things...but it could easily be done...whether tongue in cheek or more serious.  I'm talking about a CGI cartoon here, of course.

super_etecoon said:
Blob said:

I don't want a Mario movie...but this can't be further from the truth.  He has so much history as an epic warrior, as a savior of his people, as a brother, as a boyfriend.  He's done to battle with some of the most iconic villains in videogame history.  His personality really would be dependent on a writer getting in there and establishing tone and plot.  

Again...I don't want these things...but it could easily be done...whether tongue in cheek or more serious.  I'm talking about a CGI cartoon here, of course.

Well to me its like Link, we all have our thoughts on what there personality would be and to us that is what it is. Giving these characters set personalitys that would be required to carry a movie would kind of hurt them in my mind.

WhiteEaglePL said:
Smash Bros Anime - epic as the trailers for newcomers, but story driven like Subspace Emissary.

a comedic slice-of-life anime featuring the Smash roster living in a house or something would be amazing. 

It would flop terribly as the premise is just too corny for a movie. He could make an appearance, but main character is not possible unless you want a movie like that terrible adaptation we'd like to forget.