By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I was wrong: Wii U will sell < GC

larasactua said:
I think its great that at least one of the nintendo fans here admits that he was a blind fanboy. Hope that more of them will come out now and confess :)

I am still a blind fanboy and think that the Wii U will outsell the Gamecube.  It's true.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
binary solo said:
KLXVER said:
The WiiU will sell more. The industry has become way bigger than it was in the GC era...

No it hasn't. In fact I predict that this generation will have similar sales to the 6th gen, and perhaps less.

Gaming has gotten much bigger, thanks to mobile phones and Facebook type games. But home consoles peaked in the 7th generation, largely thanks to the one generation wonders of the Nintendo blue ocean. That blue ocean has evaporated, as we can see with the pathetic Wii U sales. PS3+X360 < PS2+Xb. PS4 is shaping up to have similar sales to PS3 (only in less time) and Xb one is shaping up to have a lot less sales than X360. If Wii U was to some how miraculously reach 30 million in sales the 8th gen will still fall far short of the 7th gen, and unless MS some how performs a miracle with Xb one the 8th gen will fall well short of the 6th.

The 6th gen moved 200 million consoles. I think the 8th gen won't get above 180 million.

As to the prediction. 20 million seems to be as high as Wii U seems likely to go, and it may fall short. However all bets should be held until we see Wii U at $200. When it hits that price sales may pick up a lot. $200 might do for Wii U what $299 did for PS3. Well maybe not quite PS3 numbers, but in a relative sense Wii U might get a similar % boost sales long term. But perhaps by the time Wii U gets to $200 the market will have laregly forgotten it, which is the danger of not having any kind of momentum behind it.

Yes, it´s contracting..one little detail I don´t see anybody mentioning is, and if I´m not mistaken here, this is the first generation that starts in a bad macro economic environment.As far as I know, no other gen in its infancy has had to deal with something such as a post 2008 macro economic environment.I believe this is certainly playing a part, and it really doesn´t help that Nintendo and MS designed machines that didn´t resonate with the consumer.MS has been doing a lot to try and turn the ship around, though at least in Europe, the X1 fate seems to be sealed already.

phaedruss said:
Smear-Gel said:
phaedruss said:
Smear-Gel said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Aerys said:
Yes and no.

Wii U will sell less than GC in the same time, but since Wii U could have a longer life, it could sell more

Why would nintendo stick with a product longer then they stuck with a product that was selling better? Wii U won't make it past 2017.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/21/nintendo-of-america-president-wii-u-has-a-very-long-life-ahea/

How long is a "very long life"?

To Ohmylanta: I meant 3 more years and that's being optimistic because I think they'll have a new console out by the end of 2016.

A long life is definitely not 2012 to 2016, at the very least.

That's true, but I doubt it will be more than 5. Anyways, the whole long life thing is pure PR.

I dont know about that, but I cant comment on it since it's too early to, imo

Is there a tool to compare the Gamecube sales to the Wii U? It seems the older gens were removed from the tools page. First time I log-in in like 5 years and I can't find it anymore.

And I'd like, if possible to compare their Total Sales, putting their release dates side by side. A graph would be cool but is not needed, I remember I used to be able to put the stats in text boxes (like a box for Week 1 GCN, next to box for Week 1 Wii U, then on second row the total sales if adding Week 2 for each consoles).

Or anything similar. That would be really appreciated!

*Sound Of Rain said:

I was Nintendo blind and now see a less biased picture. 

The GC will have the better sales compared to the Wii U. I'd also like to take this time to say "I'm sorry" for my overly stupid pro-Nintendo predictions before. There are many of them since I joined and they are all pretty bad...

Here is my advice. Enjoy what you enjoy, wish for the best and FORGET what anyone else thinks. Whether the Wii-U sells 100 million or 15, it won't affect your enjoyment and ability to play what you want to play.

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
AnthonyW86 said:

It's pretty sad really, Wii-U should have been Wii HD and have launched one or two years earlier for $250 without the gamepad. Then the gamepad could have been launched later on with one or two killer apps(Mario maker?).

Replace all that with (launched in 2012 without the gamepad and a new Wii Sports) and WiiU would have likely done amazing.

If it hade launched earlier it could have lifted on ps3/x360 multiplatform games longer. Who knows if it hade launched two years earlier and sold well it might even have gotten games like GTA V.

AnthonyW86 said:

It's pretty sad really, Wii-U should have been Wii HD and have launched one or two years earlier for $250 without the gamepad. Then the gamepad could have been launched later on with one or two killer apps(Mario maker?).

This.

I was amazed there wasn't a Wii HD hardware release. And like you say, then the controller released with a killer app bundled in, would have been a very good route for Nintendo.

I know it's all cudda wudda shudda, but I do think even now it might be worth splitting the system from the controller, and doing the controller bundled with various games that utilise it well as a peripheral.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Ummm, the Wii U still has a chance at outselling the Gamecube.

AnthonyW86 said:
Michael-5 said:
AnthonyW86 said:

Replace all that with (launched in 2012 without the gamepad and a new Wii Sports) and WiiU would have likely done amazing.

If it hade launched earlier it could have lifted on ps3/x360 multiplatform games longer. Who knows if it hade launched two years earlier and sold well it might even have gotten games like GTA V.

Even then, that's no guarentee. Gamecube launched with SSB Melee and look how it faired. Meanwhile the DS had nothing for nearly 2 years and it nearly became the best selling system of all time.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results