By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's PSNow Pricings Are Crazy

I just wondered, are those 4 hours just play-time or will you lose access after 4 hours no matter if you played the game or not?

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
JOKA_ said:

Sony is fucking high if they think people will pay that

EDIT: That was my knee-jerk reaction to the 4 hour price.  The $30 for 90 days isn't that bad.

These prices aren't standard. Publishers seem to set the price.

Ah thats interesting.  Also no surprise thats it Square Eniz with these out of touch prices.

I still think Sony has a problem though.  With that Guacamelee example:

1) This game, right now as I type this, is on sale for $5 in the steam summer sale.  This is a problem for hardcore gamers.  Hardcore gamers are very price savvy and will know they are getting gouged.  These hardcore are going to need to be the evangelists who talk up the service so that the casuals jump on, and they won't if prices stay like this

2) Renting that single game for 1 month costs the same as a Netflix subscription, which lets you watch ALL the movies on the service.  This is going to be a problem for the 'casuals' mainly.  'Casuals' are less hardcore and won't know that you can get Guacamelee on Steam for $5, but they will know how much they pay for Netflix, and the PSNow prices will seem absurdly high

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

$29,99 for 90 days of rent wouldn't be bad if the games weren't so old.

What. I thought this was a subscription service.
Well there goes all my thoughts that this would be a good deal, I expected too much probably. Essentially it's a normal rental with the convenience of digital.
I could own FFXIII-2 for that 90 day price, and then sell it back afterward.

OdinHades said:
I just wondered, are those 4 hours just play-time or will you lose access after 4 hours no matter if you played the game or not?

That's a good question. I don't think it would be 4 hours of just play time because the higher rental times wouldn't be 90-days of play time.

It will probably work the way their movie rentals work. You can download a movie to your PS3/P34 and you have 30 days to watch it. As soon as you start watching it, you have 48 hours to finish it. You can also rewatch it in that 48 hour period.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Fucking hell, those prices are awful.

I was expecting something like $15 a month...with a netflix style access.

Unless they offer subscriptions, PSNow will go down in flames. 

People who care about games probably have another, cheaper way of playing them.

Casuals certainly won't be ready to pay that much for a few hours or days of gaming, when there are plenty of free-to-play options around.

It's tough to understand which target market they are aiming at with this pricing.

I don't think this service will do too well as is. Here's hoping they have a better pricing model before release:)

Current Consoles: Gaming PC, Wii U, 3DS

JOKA_ said:
Dgc1808 said:
JOKA_ said:

Sony is fucking high if they think people will pay that

EDIT: That was my knee-jerk reaction to the 4 hour price.  The $30 for 90 days isn't that bad.

These prices aren't standard. Publishers seem to set the price.

Ah thats interesting.  Also no surprise thats it Square Eniz with these out of touch prices.

I still think Sony has a problem though.  With that Guacamelee example:

1) This game, right now as I type this, is on sale for $5 in the steam summer sale.  This is a problem for hardcore gamers.  Hardcore gamers are very price savvy and will know they are getting gouged.  These hardcore are going to need to be the evangelists who talk up the service so that the casuals jump on, and they won't if prices stay like this

2) Renting that single game for 1 month costs the same as a Netflix subscription, which lets you watch ALL the movies on the service.  This is going to be a problem for the 'casuals' mainly.  'Casuals' are less hardcore and won't know that you can get Guacamelee on Steam for $5, but they will know how much they pay for Netflix, and the PSNow prices will seem absurdly high

Agreed. I can't see myself using this service except for much if at all.

4 ≈ One

Oh... Why do even care about PlayStation Now. It is DOA.

If that was a new game I wouldn't have a problem with that, but here it's an obvious rip off. Terrible pricing.