By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's PSNow Pricings Are Crazy

What people forget about the pricing is that you don't need any significant hardware for PS Now. Just hook up your smartphone and get yourself a Dualshock 3, that's all you need. For owners of a PLayStation 3, the service just isn't worth it, but I don't think Sony targeted those folks in the first place. Sure, it might be an indirect Option for backwards compatibility for PS4, but it's also too expensive. Just getting yourself a PS3 will be way cheaper.

Also I think the prices will go down eventually. But I really think Sony isn't targeting the hardcore gamer here, but instead casuals. Give them the option to play all those PS3 games and get them to buy a console eventually. After all, Sony wants to sell consoles, they don't want Now to replace their hardware platforms.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
OdinHades said:
What people forget about the pricing is that you don't need any significant hardware for PS Now. Just hook up your smartphone and get yourself a Dualshock 3, that's all you need. For owners of a PLayStation 3, the service just isn't worth it, but I don't think Sony targeted those folks in the first place. Sure, it might be an indirect Option for backwards compatibility for PS4, but it's also too expensive. Just getting yourself a PS3 will be way cheaper.

Also I think the prices will go down eventually. But I really think Sony isn't targeting the hardcore gamer here, but instead casuals. Give them the option to play all those PS3 games and get them to buy a console eventually. After all, Sony wants to sell consoles, they don't want Now to replace their hardware platforms.

Yeah, but if they are targeting the casuals, which sounds reasonable, they will also compete with the smartphone/tablet market and those prices are way to high to compete, especially if you also need to get a controller separately to play. I sure hope these are more like placeholders or pricing, because they are ridiculous.

Crazy? They are absolutely stupid. Especially since it is priced this way during the beta! Seriously do they think people are going to pay to beta test PSNow?

What am I saying of course they do.

PSNow works. In fact it works really, really well. SO far I have been impressed with how well it works (even if I haven't been impressed with the games line up) but not so well to pay those prices.They need to slash those price in half at least.

Absolutely terrible pricing. Everyone thought that this was going to be subscription based. This has dashed my hopes for PS Now.

Where is the 360 days for $120 option? :P

Around the Network

you pay to play it for 4 hourse?! that kind of stuff?! I didn't know......that's ridiculous.

Vivster... Damage control...

It is not like they are streaming latest PC games onto your device/TV like Onlive which is more expensive on machines that consumes far more watts than what their PS3 based servers would.

I think it is a bit too much, why no option to own the game and subscription is only to fund operation of their servers? Doesent Onlive has such model?

I wish Sony just makes a PlayStation 4 with PlayStation 3 hardware inside, I think they could manage to pull that off and price it at least 500$. This right now is milking their loyal fanbase...

OdinHades said:

But the intent is that, further down the line, Now replaces the need for consoles. Third-party publishers, which Sony relies heavily on, don't like the current structure of distribution. They don't want to have to share profits with retailers, they don't want to spend money using physical disks, and they hate the used agme market and game sharing (which hurts their profits). Now isn't simply a new option for gamers, or a gateway to making Playstation games more accessible to the general public. It's the early stages of an experiment to test what developers have been saying is the direction the market is headed in. 

I'm not really oppposed to streaming; I'm just not looking forward to future where publishers restrict how consumers can use of a form of media. I want to be a able to pay for my products and own them - either phsically or digitally. I don't want to backed into a corner where the only way I can play games is by paying by the hour. And I'm sure I'm not alone. 

Some things need to be worked out, but thing are looking very promising. If I can go back and play any Uncharted or God of War for $5 for a 7 day rental that is perfect IMO.

Hope they eventually add a subscription based model also. I think $10 a month would be more than fair for the massive library of content from all PS devices. Another thing to consider is allowing people to pay a once a year fee to access PS Now, and adding a purchase game option. This way they can get the money to maintain the servers, and allow people with a back catalog of digital titles to enjoy the product they have already purchased.

People need to remember, this is instant access to the game, no download time, no storage of any kind required. It will eventually let you play on your PS Vita, PS3, PS4, TV, Tablet, or Cell Phone. There are some major advantages to this service over a PS3 and a physical copy.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I think a lot of people are commenting without understanding the significance of PSNow. Being a console manufacturer, Sony's not truly at liberty to say it but publishers are really looking forward to flat-out replacing consoles, along with eliminating all forms of physical distribution. This might become the only viable option for gaming. Not only would people lose the ability to share and sell the games they play, but those games might not even be theirs. The ability to play a singular game or set of games will be based on whether or not an ongoing subscription fee is paid, with no option to pay once and be done with it. This isn't like Netflix where we're dealing with movies - which have a "running time"; due to the constant pressure to get the most value out of their subscription, gamers will have to carefully regulate how they spend their time playing. And that's before we consider issues like bandwith, latency, and the ability to maintain a stable Internet connection. 

I don't mind streaming at all, but if it that we have to pay ridiculous amounts of money to play games in a restrictive framework, then I don't see how I can support it. All I'm asking for is for people to more critical about the administration of this service so it works out well for everyone, because, well, it might become a lot more important than it is now.