Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much would the 3DS have sold if it didn't have 3D?

Kaizar said:

The 2DS came out October 12 with Pokémon X & Y and only sold 30% of the 3DS family from October 12 to December 31st 2013.

The 2DS from January 1st to May 31st 2014 only sold 20% of the 3DS family, even though it was sold at $99 at all retailers long before that part of the year was over.

It has been estimated by many, that somewhere around 85% of 3DS owners ages 13 & up, use 3D on their 3DS/3DS XL.

Where the hell did you get all this info?
At least from what I see on the internet and from the people I know, I'm one of very few who actually use 3D.

Around the Network

Depends how expensive was the 3d screen for them.

ktay95 said:

Take the 3D away and it could have launched at the cheaper price and not have stumbled out of the blocks.  Would say sales would be slightly higher, maybe 5mil. 3D was also however a waste of money on Nintendo's part, the cost of R&D could have been much better spent.

It could have launched at a cheaper price anyways.  Iwata said that they overpriced the 3DS because of the reactions at E3.

----

OT.  I personally like the 3D.  While the 3D wasn't the selling point and I thought the feature was stupid at first, once I saw games that really took advantage of it, I actively look for other games that I can get that use the feature well.

mZuzek said:
Kaizar said:

The 2DS came out October 12 with Pokémon X & Y and only sold 30% of the 3DS family from October 12 to December 31st 2013.

The 2DS from January 1st to May 31st 2014 only sold 20% of the 3DS family, even though it was sold at $99 at all retailers long before that part of the year was over.

It has been estimated by many, that somewhere around 85% of 3DS owners ages 13 & up, use 3D on their 3DS/3DS XL.

At least from what I see on the internet and from the people I know, I'm one of very few who actually use 3D.

Same place he gets all his other info. He makes it up.

OT: 3D was a completely useless feature that raised the price of the console without making it any better. Without the 3D and Nintendo's own arrogance they could have launched the system at $200 and made a solid profit off that. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

mZuzek said:
Kaizar said:

The 2DS only sold 2 million out of the 3DS family 7 million from October 12 2013 to May 31st 2014.

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:
mZuzek said:
Kaizar said:

Same place he gets all his other info. He makes it up.

OT: 3D was a completely useless feature that raised the price of the console without making it any better. Without the 3D and Nintendo's own arrogance they could have launched the system at $200 and made a solid profit off that. 

The 2DS only sold 2 million out of 7 million of the 3DS family sells since its release in October 12 2013 up to May 31st 2014.

Fact: only the United States & United Kingdom are the only places 3D has any problems in.

What would they call it without the 3D though?

Mystro-Sama said:

Maybe the Wii DS, because it does Motion Control like the WiiMote & GamePad controllers for the Wii & Wii U.

(LOL)

Mystro-Sama said:

DS 2 maybe lol?

The 3D effect has helped, but without it, Nintendo would likely have been able to launch the system at $200 instead of $250, and we'd have the system for no more than $150 for a standard model by now. And although the 3D effect can make a game really work, more often than not a game can either forgo 3D or focus on an aspect that does not require it. Remember, the best selling game on the 3DS, Pokemon X/Y, can only use 3D some of the time.

Without the 3D effect, I think the 3DS would have had a better launch, but would have slowed down a bit around late 2011 before picking up speed again. It would today be at around 85% of IRL sales.

Love and tolerate.