By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much would the 3DS have sold if it didn't have 3D?

mZuzek said:
Kaizar said:

The 2DS came out October 12 with Pokémon X & Y and only sold 30% of the 3DS family from October 12 to December 31st 2013.

The 2DS from January 1st to May 31st 2014 only sold 20% of the 3DS family, even though it was sold at $99 at all retailers long before that part of the year was over.

It has been estimated by many, that somewhere around 85% of 3DS owners ages 13 & up, use 3D on their 3DS/3DS XL.

Where the hell did you get all this info?
At least from what I see on the internet and from the people I know, I'm one of very few who actually use 3D.

The 2DS only sold 2 million out of the 3DS family 7 million from October 12 2013 to May 31st 2014.

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:
mZuzek said:
Kaizar said:

The 2DS came out October 12 with Pokémon X & Y and only sold 30% of the 3DS family from October 12 to December 31st 2013.

The 2DS from January 1st to May 31st 2014 only sold 20% of the 3DS family, even though it was sold at $99 at all retailers long before that part of the year was over.

It has been estimated by many, that somewhere around 85% of 3DS owners ages 13 & up, use 3D on their 3DS/3DS XL.

Where the hell did you get all this info?
At least from what I see on the internet and from the people I know, I'm one of very few who actually use 3D.

Same place he gets all his other info. He makes it up.

OT: 3D was a completely useless feature that raised the price of the console without making it any better. Without the 3D and Nintendo's own arrogance they could have launched the system at $200 and made a solid profit off that. 

The 2DS only sold 2 million out of 7 million of the 3DS family sells since its release in October 12 2013 up to May 31st 2014.

Fact: only the United States & United Kingdom are the only places 3D has any problems in.

What would they call it without the 3D though?

Mystro-Sama said:

Maybe the Wii DS, because it does Motion Control like the WiiMote & GamePad controllers for the Wii & Wii U.

(LOL)

Mystro-Sama said:

DS 2 maybe lol?

Around the Network

The 3D effect has helped, but without it, Nintendo would likely have been able to launch the system at $200 instead of $250, and we'd have the system for no more than $150 for a standard model by now. And although the 3D effect can make a game really work, more often than not a game can either forgo 3D or focus on an aspect that does not require it. Remember, the best selling game on the 3DS, Pokemon X/Y, can only use 3D some of the time.

Without the 3D effect, I think the 3DS would have had a better launch, but would have slowed down a bit around late 2011 before picking up speed again. It would today be at around 85% of IRL sales.

Love and tolerate.

MMMMMHHH I like the 3D - but I am ready for Nintendo HD(S).

Switch!!!

Salnax said:
The 3D effect has helped, but without it, Nintendo would likely have been able to launch the system at $200 instead of $250, and we'd have the system for no more than $150 for a standard model by now. And although the 3D effect can make a game really work, more often than not a game can either forgo 3D or focus on an aspect that does not require it. Remember, the best selling game on the 3DS, Pokemon X/Y, can only use 3D some of the time.

Without the 3D effect, I think the 3DS would have had a better launch, but would have slowed down a bit around late 2011 before picking up speed again. It would today be at around 85% of IRL sales.

The 3DS wouldn't have games like:

Kid Icarus: Uprising

Kingdom Hearts 3D

Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D

Resident evil Revelations

King of Pirates (trilogy)

Mega Man Legends 3 (canceled)

Paper Mario Sticker Star

Indie games like Jett Rocket 2 & Mutant Mudds & etc. etc. etc.

Dillon's rolling Western & Sakura Samurai & Ketzal's Corridors & the like wouldn't even exist.

Monster Hunter 4 (never coming to Wii U)

And many other exclusive titles. (but still not all of them)

fedfed said:
MMMMMHHH I like the 3D - but I am ready for Nintendo HD(S).

So Wii U or Nintendo's 2018 Handheld?

I knew Kaizar was going to come and defend 3D ;)