Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much would the 3DS have sold if it didn't have 3D?

Less.

Around the Network

The first time I saw it on a §DS, I didnt like the 3D. The second time I saw it on a 3DSXL, I liked it a lot.

I think it would be around the same. And a bit more power wouldnt really have added much either.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

I think the Glasses Free 3D defintely brought interest, but software drives hardware as Reggie always says which is very true. Clearly people like it much more and graphics don't stop people from buying it or else I think the sales would of been the other way round and people having a Vita.

I don't think it's over the top gimmicky, but it's optional and not forced on which is what I liked. I think if it did affect sales then it would only be a small percentage because I think people brought it for the games. I don't consider the 3D a waste of money much either because it's still the cheapest portable around, but I won't miss the 3D if it doesn't happen in their next portable system. I would like to see their next to sort of see Vita visualls, but on both screens so they are both same resolution and same graphics so your not using top screen for all the graphics capabilities all the time and using the bottom as a menu or something. I don't know, but I trust their next portable will be a good one just like they have always been.

To be honest, the 3D gimmick is what got me to buy the 3DS at launch. Today, I don't give a crap about the 3D anymore, and I almost never us it. Personally, I think the 3DS would've had less sales if it weren't for the 3D.

Less I'd say.

I feel like 3D is the "hook" that made the console feel fresh at launch helping it to take off, rather than being dismissed as a DS+.

Around the Network
Kallumsmarties said:

I think the Glasses Free 3D defintely brought interest, but software drives hardware as Reggie always says which is very true. Clearly people like it much more and graphics don't stop people from buying it or else I think the sales would of been the other way round and people having a Vita.

I don't think it's over the top gimmicky, but it's optional and not forced on which is what I liked. I think if it did affect sales then it would only be a small percentage because I think people brought it for the games. I don't consider the 3D a waste of money much either because it's still the cheapest portable around, but I won't miss the 3D if it doesn't happen in their next portable system. I would like to see their next to sort of see Vita visualls, but on both screens so they are both same resolution and same graphics so your not using top screen for all the graphics capabilities all the time and using the bottom as a menu or something. I don't know, but I trust their next portable will be a good one just like they have always been.

The 3DS has 120 million polygons & 800 resolution & more then 220 pixel density & aspect ratio of 5:3 (near 16:9) because of 3D. The PS Vita has 133 million polygons with 960 resolution & more then 220 pixel density & aspect ratio of 16:9 (near 5:3).

Without 3D the 3DS would have 25 million polygons and be 30 fps & a pixel density of let's say 199 & a aspect ratio of 4:3 like the DS.

Have you not compare Resident Evil: Revelations to Uncharted: Golden Abyss?

Resident Evil: Revelations only used 90% of the 3DS hardware at the time.

Ultrashroomz said:
To be honest, the 3D gimmick is what got me to buy the 3DS at launch. Today, I don't give a crap about the 3D anymore, and I almost never us it. Personally, I think the 3DS would've had less sales if it weren't for the 3D.

Each 3DS game has a completely different 3D effect then the other.

Try out 3DS games that released in 2012, or better yet, 2013 3DS games. (playing with 3D ON)

It probably would of helped in the fact of cheaper price. 3D isn't important. I go to Nintendo World a lot. No one, and even the stations don't have it enabled. And if it didn't have 3D it would of been titled something else.

Kaizar said:
Salnax said:
The 3D effect has helped, but without it, Nintendo would likely have been able to launch the system at $200 instead of $250, and we'd have the system for no more than $150 for a standard model by now. And although the 3D effect can make a game really work, more often than not a game can either forgo 3D or focus on an aspect that does not require it. Remember, the best selling game on the 3DS, Pokemon X/Y, can only use 3D some of the time.

Without the 3D effect, I think the 3DS would have had a better launch, but would have slowed down a bit around late 2011 before picking up speed again. It would today be at around 85% of IRL sales.

The 3DS wouldn't have games like:

Kid Icarus: Uprising

Kingdom Hearts 3D

Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D

Resident evil Revelations

King of Pirates (trilogy)

Mega Man Legends 3 (canceled)

Paper Mario Sticker Star

Indie games like Jett Rocket 2 & Mutant Mudds & etc. etc. etc.

Dillon's rolling Western & Sakura Samurai & Ketzal's Corridors & the like wouldn't even exist.

Monster Hunter 4 (never coming to Wii U)

And many other exclusive titles. (but still not all of them)

Why we would not have those games if there was not 3D

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

brendude13 said:

Less I'd say.

I feel like 3D is the "hook" that made the console feel fresh at launch helping it to take off, rather than being dismissed as a DS+.

Don't you mean the DS Vita, LOL.

i look forward to being able to feel hot & gold & rough & soft & explosions & so fort. They cancel the peripheral for the 3DS & Wii U, which is smart, so they can use it in the new Handheld & Home Consoles. They basically Samsung-ing it. Yeah, I coin the phrase. Anyways, I hope they put rumble in the 2018 Handheld, and swap out the Virtual Surround Sound Speakerphones for Speakerphones that throw sound around your head for actual Surround Sound without the need to wear surround sound headphones.